Carretera Hiram Binham s/n, Km 7.5, Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley, Peru

Booking.com Belmond.com Expedia.com

Costs 66% more than similarly rated 4 star hotels

• auntjulie's Profile Photo

Worth every dollar

I stayed overnight here after the luxury train trip and found both to be exceptional. The staff at the hotel remembered me each time I came into contact with them, the service was impeccable, the food good and the room spotless. Being right outside Machu Picchu it was also very convenient for a very early start, before the masses arrive.

Unique Quality: Position - right at the site, where you can come and go between hotel and ruins as often as you like. It is just a great hotel - even for a five star

• XKuger's Profile Photo

World Class Stay

The Machu Picchu is a world class 5 star hotel run by the Oriental Group. The old hotel inside the Santuary with a view of the Ruins.

Definitly the most expensive hotel I have stayed in so far. However I have no regrets as the experience was truly fantastic.

Everything about the hotel is perfect. The service is impeccable. Everyone one in the hotel go out of the way to help you.

Unique Quality: A fully board hotel, truly, truly fantastic customer service.

With a great view of the Machu Picchu ruins

Nothing but the best.

Directions: Google search it.... its one of a kind and you cannot miss it.

• cbeaujean's Profile Photo

the only one very near archeological site!

not available to everybody because of its outrageous prices!
    in spite of exorbitant prices...always full up;so you have to book months in advance!!!

Unique Quality: oposite to site main entrance!
    29 rooms and 2 suites.
    top of the tops:the two rooms of the upper store,from them as backstage,you enjoy huayna picchu !

PRICES FROM 455 EUROS....for the happy few who can afford it!

BUT.....surprisingly they "offer" a free buffet for 15 euros/pers.

More about Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge

by lauren6

Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, at 8,200 feet above sea level, is the only hotel located within the very sanctuary of the Machu Picchu Inca citadel. While visiting, you will enjoy unforgettable sunrises, enchanting nights and the remains of the ancient culture of this unique place, considered part of Peru's and the world's cultural heritage.
The Macchu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge has 32 standard double rooms - nine of them with views over the Inca ruins - and one suite.

Out of my Budget, but a Room with a View!

by butterfly_girl about Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge

I didn't stay here...this hotel is WAY out of my budget, but hey, if you have the money and you want to stay right at the ruins of Machu Picchu...why not! The Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge is the only hotel located adjacent to the ruins of Machu Picchu. I went into the lobby of the hotel and it looked very nice.

Rooms start about $450...yikes! If you want to save money, then book a room in the cute town of Aquas Caliente instead.

HOTELS

by christian99

Hotel Sol y Luna, Urubamba (tel. 084/201-620): Relaxed and elegant, amid manicured gardens and gorgeous mountain views, this relatively new Sacred Valley hotel is a great place to hang out a while. Rooms are individual, circular rustic bungalows. With an excellent restaurant, horse stables, and an adventure club, you won't lack for things to do, but the grounds and vistas are so pretty that you might want to do nothing at all.

Hotel Pakaritampu, Ollantaytambo (tel. 084/204-020): More of an inn than a hotel, this new place is rustic and intimate, with a great fireplace bar and lovely gardens, but it's also big enough for some privacy. It's eminently tasteful but still fits in very well with its low-key surroundings.

Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, Machu Picchu (tel. 084/246-419): Peru's best-known hotel has one of the world's most enviable locations, perched high on a mountain, just paces from the ruins of Machu Picchu. Charmingly rustic, with a nice restaurant and spectacular gardens boasting jaw-dropping views of the Inca citadel, it is always in high demand, even though it costs a very pretty penny for the privilege of a stay.

Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel, Aguas Calientes (tel. 084/211-032, or 084/245-314 for reservations): It's not next to the ruins, but this rustic hotel is a compound of bungalows ensconced in lush tropical gardens and cloud forest, and it's the nicest place in Aguas Calientes. With lots of nature trails and guided activities, it's also great for naturalists. And after a day at Machu Picchu, the spring-fed pool is a great alternative to the thermal baths in town. Junior suites, with fireplaces and small terraces, are good deals.

Sanctuary vs. Pueblo - debate over!

by TripAdvisor Member InsightIncluded

Sanctuary Lodge or the Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel?

My wife and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary in Peru, the actual day atop Machu Picchu. So it was a big decision. We chose the Pueblo Hotel & Loved it so much that i was moved to post this review. The Sanctuary Lodge on paper seems to have the edge. but trust me it ends there!

Machu Picchu the site doesn't even let people in until 6am. You can get a bus up there from Aguas Calientes at 5:30. Which we did. Just in time to get up there and wait on line with everybody else, Sanctuary Lodge guests included. So the idea of being able to roam around up there before the rest of the world is able to is simply not true. We did 3 days, 2 nights at the Pueblo Hotel. And not that it's cheap but the Pueblo's pricing makes it much easier to do 2 nights there. So Day 1 we stayed up in the magical city for the sunset and still was able to catch the bus back down to town. Day 2 we got up for sunrise, and then hiked waynapichu. And on Day 3 we casually got up and there and hung out all of mid-day. If you are going all the way to Peru for Machu Picchu it warrants more than 1 night there. You need time to soak it in and up.

We did eat lunch the first day at the Sanctuary Lodge for $27 a person (expensive for new york, forget about Peru) and it was misearably average. Now i know, from doing my homework on trip advisor before our trip, that they have a separate dining hall for actual sanctuary guests. But there is no way that the food is that much better. It's all coming from the same kitchen, right? The lobby is also similarly unimpressive.

I also had a romantic notion of being able to see machu picchu from sanctuary. But it is really tucked away from the city. I guess, and this is me stretching, if you are really old (we're 30 & 28) and may want to visit the city in the morning, nap, and then go back in the afternoon maybe the sanctuary lodge would be worth it because you'd wouldn't have to take 4 buses that day. but i say, nap when you're dead

Everything about the Pueblo Hotel was phenomenal. the food-the staff-the room-the grounds. Oh, i guess my massage wasn't anything to write home about, but c'mon. We had a fireplace in our room that was really romantic. They have bird feeders that attract hundreds of amazing hummingbirds, and the butterflies...It was actually a nice retreat to leave the crowds of machu picchu and the ugliness of the rest of Aguas Calientes to feel like you a had cozy little corner of the world all to yourself despite being in the top tourist attraciton of south america.

Thinking about Sanctuary Lodge reminds me of an outdated connecticut country club, resting on its laurels (or in this case it's address) and thinking that its simple existence makes up for everything else. If you want a little taste of luxury, aren't a senior citizen, and want to make the right choice, choose the Pueblo Hotel.

Lastly - the guidebooks talk about the walk along the train tracks required to get to the Pueblo as being problematic. It's maybe a 5 minute walk and you don't have to walk on the tracks. There is a sidewalk slighlty higher up the hill that runs parallel. Do yourself a favor & take my advice and place your machu picchu trip in the hands of the pueblo hotel.

PS- we used Amazing Peru to book our trip - they also - were spot on!

A real pleasure to stay there after the Inca Trail

by TripAdvisor Member vivleplus

My husband and step dad stayed at the SAnctuary lodge after 4 days of walking. It was a real pleasure to arrive to a nice smilling staff, comfortable rooms and excelent food.
The price is high but allowed us to watch the sun set and sun rise in Machu Pichu after and before most of the crowd.
It was really worth it!

Location, Location, Location:with attention to service detail

by TripAdvisor Member RobertandChi

My wife and I stayed at the Sanctuary Lodge on our Anniversary night, Aug. 29, and must say without a doubt that if you go to Machu Picchu and what the best, stay at the Sanctuary Lodge.
First off, there is no comparison to anywhere else you can stay. If the weather is hot, rainy (which it was one afternoon's we were there) or if you get tired, there is nothing like walking over to your hotel for a drink, rest or shower. Once completed, it is right back into the park. I could not imagine wanting to deal with round trip buses each time I wanted to rest, warm-up or cool down.
Next, there is nothing like being the last people to leave this wonderful spot at the end of the day. No worry about buses down the hill, no worry about anything other than walking 200 feet from the park entrance to your room and waiting dinner. The next morning, sunrise from the Temple of the Sun, short walk back to the room for breakfast and then back into the park (add one hour plus for the round trip bus ride).
Additionally, we did not get a single bug bite at the Lodge but we comsumed by the "locals" when we were back down in the valley waiting for the train. The extra altitude helps.
As part of the Orient Express, the attention to service details abound. Meals are included, your luggage is transported from the train to the Lodge and back, the staff very helpful and friendly, they have a day room to clean up in the day you depart and the food was some of the best we had in Peru (well done Marco Alban, the Executive Chef for the Orient Express Properties).
All said, yes, there are more economical ways to see Machu Picchu, but since this tends to be once in a lifetime visit to this spot for most, I would say that the additional expense compared to "non-comparable hotels" is more than justified.
We also want to thank Patricio Zucconi for the excellent managment of the Lodge and for making our stay one of those extra special memories.

We Machu'd the Pichu ....

by TripAdvisor Member HowlinWilf

Firstly, I must confess that I don't know how much our (one night) stay at the Sanctuary Lodge actually cost although I expect it was fairly expensive. The reason for that was that we booked our Peru trip through Journey Latin America and they were rather coy about revealing cost breakdowns. We stayed in several Orient Express hotels though and all of them were very good. Our stay included free meals and drinks at Sanctuary Lodge. The menu in the restaurant was good, as was the food and I indulged in a bottle (or was it 2) of decent Argentinian white wine.

Orient Express rather have things sewn up at Machu Pichu itself. Even the cafe to the right of the entrance gate is owned by them and you can't even buy a bottle of water without adding generously to their coffers.

At the risk of sounding like Michael Winner (for those who are unfamiliar with Mr Winner, he is a one time film producer and notorious English Snob) forget about beating the rush to be first into Machu Pichu though. The tour busses turn up not long after 5:30 am and the Gortex clad masses will be in line by the time you wander, blinking out of the Lodge around 06:00.

Sunrise isn't that special anyway. At least it wasn't in August. Better to linger late in the afternoon when all the Backpackers depart on the last bus, catch the sun going down (much more atmospheric than sunrise anyway) before strolling back to the Lodge for a well earned G&T.

Machu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, PeruMachu Picchu Sanctuary Lodge, Peru

Rainy weather drove us to the Sanctuary LodgeRainy weather drove us to the Sanctuary Lodge

1 Day Inca Trail Trek...Sanctuary Lodge...

Hi everyone,

I've read about various 2 day/1 night trail treks and am curious how we can do something like the following:

-Depart from Cusco via train to Machu Picchu.
-Get off at Km 104's station to start the 1 day Inca trail trek.
-Cross the Urubamba river to Chachabamba.
-Continue a couple hours trek to Wiñaywayna.
-Continue another hour to Intipunku (Sun Gate), then Machu Picchu.
-Then spend one night in the Sanctuary Lodge.
-Tour Machu Picchu in AM next day and then take the last bus down to Aquas Calientes and last train to Cuzco.

Is this possible? All of the tour operators I've reviewed include the overnight in Aguas Calientes but we'd like to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge to view the sunrise and sunset at MP.

Can anyone give me advice on a tour operator I can book in advance with for this one day hike w/o the overnight option?

How much does the train cost to Km 104 or is this usually included in the trek price?

Thanks so much!!! :)

Dawn

RE: 1 Day Inca Trail Trek...Sanctuary Lodge...

by unaS

bookmark

RE: 1 Day Inca Trail Trek...Sanctuary Lodge...

by Cool-123

I did the Inca trail for 5 days and included 1 night in Aqua Calientes and I joined it from a travel agency in Cusco. The tour fare didn't include the train ticket from Aqua Calientes to Cusco. At that time, all the travel agency would stop at Aqua Calientes in stead of Sanctuary Lodge. I can't remember exactly the train cost and it was around USD5-10.

Edith

by XtravelloverX

Yea, and it looks like many that I've found on the Internet have a stop in Aguas Calientes. I guess what I'm looking for is a flexible tour operator that someone on her has had experience with, that would allow us to do that 1 day trekk and spend the night at the Sanctuary instead...?

Bookmark?

by unaS

"Bookmark"
because I have nothing to contribute - no knowledge in the area - but am interested in the answers because I am thinking of a similar trip next year.

Oh, OK, :) Bookmark away! hee hee