Main Urubamba Road Km. 74.5, Urubamba, Peru
Travelocity Hotels.com Expedia.com

More about Kuychi Rumi

Absolutely the Best!

by TripAdvisor Member hymjr

Just can't say enough wonderful things about KR. My husband and I stayed for three nights that definitely made our trip to the Sacred Valley memorable. Two traveling companions joined us for two nights in our wonderful house. Claudia and Carlos were not only the perfect hosts, but we felt they became good friends. Claudia arranged a driver, tour guide, and suggested the most wonderful places for dinner - El Huacatay and 3 Keros. Don't miss an opportunity to stay there. It is not to be missed if you're staying in the Sacred Valley.

What a wonderful slice of Peruvian life

by TripAdvisor Member Girloadventure

So why hasn't the New York Times travel section discovered this little gem yet? This is a very special place. For $90 a night, you can rent a mud and dark wood cottage surrounded by gardens, nestled in the foothills of some of the most beautiful mountains in the world, and you will get so much more than a convenient location and a place to sleep for your money.

These rustic Andean houses are charming and roomy(ours had 2 bedrooms, a living and dining room, fully stocked kitchen and 2 baths) and KR gives anyone patient enough to try it the opportunity to savor an authentic slice of rural South American life. Don't expect TVs, there are none. No fast food. No Starbucks. Just object d'art by local artisans, wood delivered for your fireplace each day, smiling service, warm bread and fresh preserves in the morning and two playful dogs for company. In fall and winter, the houses get chilly at night so bring cozy PJs. If wash cloths are important to you, bring one of those, too.

What would you like to do today? For a few dollars, an excellent driver arranged by KR will take you out into the countryside past burros hauling corn husks and farmers tending golden wheat fields to view breathtaking examles of Inca engineering genius and determination. Then stop for some soup and bread at a small village cafe where you can listen to local children laughing, kicking soccer balls in dirt streets nearby. Or maybe you want to visit a local open air market and see the farmers hawk their corn, potatoes and cuy while gossiping with their neighbors. Or would you enjoy a gourmet meal with the freshest local ingredients prepared by a chef who comes and sits at your table to talk at the end of the meal? Well, we did all of this and more, thanks to the folks at KR. If you want to hike, mountain bike, ride a horse or simply read a book in the mid-day sun, the folks at KR will see to it that you can do it and do it your way. They take care of the details, you just smile and soak it all in.

The proprietors of this rural oasis are Carlos and Claudia Rey and they are indeed kind and attentive, reminding me of college professors with a reservoir of patience and warmth for each of their pupils. They made sure we saw all of the best that the Sacred Valley had to offer in history, art and culture. Claudia will bring you a bottle of wine to share with your special somone when you return to your cottage in the evening, asking if you have had a good day. She will see that you have a delicious country breakfast in the morning and that everyone is doing everything you need.

For our first morning at KR, we enjoyed breakfast with other guests and Claudia's son. When we inquired about eating early on our own the next miorning, Claudia had delivered to us enough fresh fruit, local cheese, ham and eggs to feed us not just breakfast but an occasional lunch and dinner, too, for the next two days. The cost? $20! Had we not be scheduled to leave, we could have eaten from the supplies for a week!

When I became quite ill during my visit, the Reys responded with genuine concern and attentiveness, making soup for me, contacting a physician and making sure that we could reschedule activities we'd missed. They treated me not like a guest of their property but like a family member. These are good, honorable folks. You will be in good hands with them.

Rodrigo Rey, son of Claudia and Carlos, is a wonderful travel planner who arranged every detail of our trip to Peru. He is also the proprietor of a internet cafe/nighclub and is a wonderful resource for all things hip and fun. He found us a top notch white water rafting company, steered us to the most creative and delicious restaurants and understood our desire for freedom from details while not being lumped in with a tour group. The10 day trip he arranged was better organized than anything I could've done as a non-Spanish speaking tourist AND it was a better deal than anything any tour company was offering (and I contacted about a dozen different tour companies).

If you are ready to slow down, get away from the crowds, stop being a number, stop standing in line and start connecting with good people in a gorgeous setting, get in touch with the folks at Kuychi Rumi. Then come. Bring a book. Bring your camera. You will leave enriched.

I LOVE IT!!

Kuychi Rumi is EXACTLY what the pictures shows it to be (which is not the case most of the times) and what the reviews say. I planned my travel itinerary with Peru4Less who used national agencies such as Condor Travel and Las Balsas. Needless to say, these national agencies have their own network of preferred hotels.

After reading about KR on Tripadvisor, I just HAVE to experience KR and staying in an Andean house. I am surprised that the folks from Peru4Less or Condor Travel have not heard of KR. So I made deviation arrangements.

KR = Claudia. Claudia = KR. She is the soul of KR. A Mexican who is filled with Peruvian Spirit. The Andean houses was amazing but it was the warmth of Claudia which made all the difference. It is almost like a homestay with your private house, and private garden. If I have one regret , it is that that I only had time to stay for one night. Originally, we had wanted to stay two nights but our flight delay had neccesitated the one-night stay.

KR is a great sanctuary for couples & families to build bonding (yes, you can have a campfire in KR's compound, or even to spend time away from the maddening crowd to sanctify yourself. It reminds me of my childhood, growing at my grandmother's house (no telephones & no TVs). You stay close to nature, the earth, and the beautiful gardens of KR (it is like Eden). You will learn to smell the roses and learn much more about yourself than you ever have. Alas, my husband is a city creature who barely survives silent retreats like KR, and needs his creature comforts like TV and blackberry (note: mobile reception is at best, sporadic in Urubamba).

Claudia also recommended my husband and I to the El Huacatay, a restaurant which cooks wonderfully local dishes with an elegant touch. They always say that you will get to experience a country if you know a local. KR is not just hotel. It is a homestay and having your hosts helping you to navigate and have a wonderful experience locally.

The breakfast which Claudia provided is just amazing. It is here I learnt about Kiwicha, a breakfast cereal, made from natural plant which is a source of protein used by Astronauts in space. I would never have learnt this staying in a run-of-the mill hotel.

If you want to experience the out-of-the-ordinary Peruvian experience, my bet is that KR (and Claudia) will be able to provide you with one....even if you don't speak Spanish!!

Dream Andean Experience

My wife, I and several friends stayed at Kuychi Rumi for 2 nights. Staying there was not like any hotel. Each house has its own personal touch to it. The house that we stayed in had this extraordinary fireplace that we loved.

Kuychi Rumi was the perfect experience staying in the Peruvian countryside. The tranquility gets one in touch with nature. And the gardens in Kuychi Rumi helps too!! Though Kuychi Rumi has its country touch, it is also fully equiped with amenities (good for my wife!!)

Our stay in Kuychi Rumi made all the diifference to our visit to Peru. Not only was it the best place to stay in the Sacred Valley, but our hosts, Claudia & Carlos, took care of all our travel arrangements around the Sacred Valley & even to Lake Titicaca. Without them, our travels would probably been chaotic.

We can already envision our next trip back to Kuychi Rumi. Highly recommended.

Beautiful, relaxing.

by TripAdvisor Member cousinM

We spent five nights at Kuychi Rumi in June. Claudia was integral in making our short visit a memorable holiday: she arranged for our train tickets to Machu Picchu, a rafting trip and horseback riding trip. The gardens are lush and the homes are tranquil and private-- a welcome change from the hectic enviorment of Cusco. If I had to plan my trip over, I would have spent only one night in Cusco, and the remaining week in Urubamba. On our trip home, my young daughter said, "Claudia is the kind of person you never forget." I fully agree. Thank you Claudia, for your warm attention!

Gorgeous gardens and architect designed houses

by TripAdvisor Member OntheRoadMom

The Kuychi Rumi is a relatively new place to stay in the Sacred Valley of Peru, just outside Urubamba. Each unit is a freestanding house, set amid enchanting gardens, vegetable plots, sculptures and a host of birds. The homes are individually designed and tasteful. The staff will help take the chill off the night by building a fire for you, and each bedroom has a space heater. Kids will love the foosball table. The owner´s recommendations for dinner were superb. Stay a week or a couple of days for a wonderful experience if you´re going to Machu Picchu.

What a Honeymoon

by TripAdvisor Member Dannyhollywood

All I (we) can say is: Awesome! We felt at home from the moment we arrived and were greeted with a big hug from Claudia. We were also blown away by the smells and the sight of the grounds and gardens. It is truly an Oasis! Claudia showed us around and we got our pick of 3 available houses. Each one was very nice and cozy, so it was hard to make the decision.
We stayed 10 days at Kuychi Rumi (the longest any couple has stayed, we found out) and Claudia, Rodrigo & Carlos, really made our stay so special & memorable. They gave us so many tips and ideas of what to do and see; and even helped plan most of our itinerary. By the end of our stay it felt like we were saying goodbye to our family. But we left with so many great memories and experiences, that, like a family, we will definitely visit again.

Loved Peru? Beautiful coutryside and great people

by TripAdvisor Member fourfromwi

Unbelievably beautiful! We loved our trip to Peu and didn't want to leave Kuychi Rumi. The lodging is wonderful and the grounds are filled with gardens and peaceful setting. The owners truly know how to make a visitor feel right at home. The best!
Thanks.

Wonderful experience! Worth every penny!

by TripAdvisor Member soosano

We stayed here for five days in June and it was lovely. Based on the glowing reviews of TripAdvisor, we actually switched our reservation from the Sol y Luna (even paying a fee for cancelling!) and it was worth every penny! We were the only guests for most of our stay and I have to say the service was great. We looked forward to our breakfasts with Claudia in her own kitchen. She was integral in arranging a wonderful cooking class with Pio of El Huacatay restaurant (what a great experience!), horseback riding, and we were able to catch a three hour long parade winding through Urubamba featuring hundreds of Peruvians from all over the country! She arranged taxis and travel, restaurants and outings. She even arranged for our guide when we were at Macchu Picchu -- before we even arrived at the KR! The two dogs were so friendly and sweet (and BIG!), making the place feel even more like home. After travelling from Cuzco and Puno and Aguas Calientes, this was definitely a relaxing end to our amazing but hectic vacation. If you are considering Sol Y Luna, we did eat there twice for dinner and it did seem quite luxurious, yet it didn't have the personal touch and hominess of the KR. So many of the greatest experiences we had were directly due to staying at the KR and Claudia's expertise and hospitality. Thanks, Claudia, for helping to make a wonderful trip we'll never forget!

The Best Place to Stay-Don't Miss it

by TripAdvisor Member Rashi

I agree with everything everyone else wrote about KR.
We stayed there four nights and it was my favorite place to stay in Peru. I love the beauty and serenity of KR and the gorgeous architecture of the houses. It's a perfect place for families.
Claudia is as wonderful as everyone says. I don't know how she does it but she manages to make everyone feel like family. She even got us reservations at Indie Feliz (a great restaurant in Aguas Calentes) when they were full. It was my husband's birthday and we really wanted to eat there while we visited Machu Picchu. They even gave us free chocolate mousse and sang Happy Birthday.
Claudia was helpful in so many other ways, including getting us train tickets to and from Aguas Calientes, making our hotel reservations there, getting us taxis for the Sacred Valley, recommending great restaurants, providing great breakfasts ( at extra cost), getting our laundry done, keeping our luggage while we visited Machu Pichhu for 2 days and her son Rodrigo downloaded our photos to a CD.
You'll really miss out if you don't stay there.

Comments