Gringo Bill's Hostal

Crowe's Profile Photo

OK for town

Bad (2.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 22, 2009

I will be honest I did not expect to stay here. I made some initial enquries and got a double for $60. But I refused to pay a $20 deposit due to previous reviews. When we got to Aguas Callientes I saw a Gringo Bill board at the train station with my name on it. So they obviously put me in the reservation book. anyway we went along to look.

We were offerred room 17 initialy which overlooks a building sight (new municipial building which will not finish until 2010). We asked to see another room which was not as nice we we stuck with this after being told the building work finished in early evening (not 5pm as told by hotel around 7pm). Unfortuantely the alleyway through which you enter the hotel has alot of cement dust etc from the building site so it it rather wet and grotty.

The hotel is a little damp but was not mouldy bed was confortable. If you have valuables security is an issue as you could sail a boat through gaps in the door frames. Bathroom decor is not the best.

Breakfast was quite nice though.

Ok for a one night stay. Close to the main points of interest in a very small town. The accomadation in town is expensive as there really is only one reason why you are passing through. I would not pay more than $60 for the stay though it is probably worth closer to $30-40.

Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

More than passable....

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on May 25, 2007

This is a rather nice place by my standards. There are many places to stay here, but it seems to be where, judging by the reviews on VT, most stay. I had trouble finding other places that were empty, so booked here. I only started looking 6 weeks before leaving.

My 1-room/1-person room was great. I reserved over the internet, and they made me pay the full night by Paypal in advance.

The room came with 2 thin towels, baby soaps and envelopes of shampoo. TV worked sort of, 2 stations came in. Bed was fine, water, toilet, etc...

You can also order a 'box lunch' for your trip to MP for 15-20 soles ($5-$7), and will make it up at 5:00am before you leave.

Unique Quality: Has a hottub and whirlpool--bring a swimsuit

Directions: in the Plaza, about 40 feet off toward the closest mountain.

neurochic's Profile Photo

A Nice Place to Rest Your Bones

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on June 9, 2006

Gringo Bills Hostel was an excellent place to stay in Aquas Calientes. It is located right in the town's main square and has excellent views of the surrounding Andes Mountains. For $60/night (which is a bit steep for hostel prices in general but not for Aguas Calientes) you actually get quite a nice room and breakfast. Our matrimonial room on American standards would have actually been considered a suite back home. It was a brilliant room located on the corner of the property complete with its own french doors that opened up to a nice patio that jutted out above the main square. It would have been a nice place to watch the sunrise or to enjoy a morning coffee if it weren't so rainy when we went. The room had its own kerosene heater built into the wall, a very nice shower and bath complete with soaps and shampoos made my local people with a long supply of hot water which is needed when visiting wet and rainy Machu Picchu in April. It had a huge Queen size bed with nice warm and clean linens. There is even TV, but being so high in the mountains you only get 4 stations.

Unique Quality: Also at the hostel, there is a nice gameroom with a pool table and tables for you to enjoy a nice relaxing afternoon playing cards. Also the kitchen will make you brown bag lunches that you can take with you on your days journey to Machu Picchu for $5 US which is complete with 2 sandwiches, a drink, fruit, and a snack. They will also store your luggage if you need while visiting Machu Picchu.

Furthermore you will find that if you book this hotel through hostel websites, they say you have to pay the bill in full at some random office in Cusco. We never did this, and we were still happy to find that our room was waiting for us nice and sound when we arrived.

Directions: Located off of one of the corners in the main square just passed the church.

Nearby Gringo Bill's Hostal

• Room Service
  • Bar / Lounge
  • Free High Speed Internet

Aguas Calientes Travel Forum

Need advice about Aguas Calientes, Peru? Visit the Travel Forum for Aguas Calientes and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Aguas Calientes hotel reviews