Gringo Bill's Hostal

Booking.com Hostelworld.com

Satisfaction Poor

• Crowe's Profile Photo

OK for town

I will be honest I did not expect to stay here. I made some initial enquries and got a double for $60. But I refused to pay a $20 deposit due to previous reviews. When we got to Aguas Callientes I saw a Gringo Bill board at the train station with my name on it. So they obviously put me in the reservation book. anyway we went along to look.

We were offerred room 17 initialy which overlooks a building sight (new municipial building which will not finish until 2010). We asked to see another room which was not as nice we we stuck with this after being told the building work finished in early evening (not 5pm as told by hotel around 7pm). Unfortuantely the alleyway through which you enter the hotel has alot of cement dust etc from the building site so it it rather wet and grotty.

The hotel is a little damp but was not mouldy bed was confortable. If you have valuables security is an issue as you could sail a boat through gaps in the door frames. Bathroom decor is not the best.

Breakfast was quite nice though.

Ok for a one night stay. Close to the main points of interest in a very small town. The accomadation in town is expensive as there really is only one reason why you are passing through. I would not pay more than $60 for the stay though it is probably worth closer to $30-40.

• Tom_In_Madison's Profile Photo

More than passable....

This is a rather nice place by my standards. There are many places to stay here, but it seems to be where, judging by the reviews on VT, most stay. I had trouble finding other places that were empty, so booked here. I only started looking 6 weeks before leaving.

My 1-room/1-person room was great. I reserved over the internet, and they made me pay the full night by Paypal in advance.

The room came with 2 thin towels, baby soaps and envelopes of shampoo. TV worked sort of, 2 stations came in. Bed was fine, water, toilet, etc...

You can also order a 'box lunch' for your trip to MP for 15-20 soles ($5-$7), and will make it up at 5:00am before you leave.

Unique Quality: Has a hottub and whirlpool--bring a swimsuit

Directions: in the Plaza, about 40 feet off toward the closest mountain.

• neurochic's Profile Photo

A Nice Place to Rest Your Bones

Gringo Bills Hostel was an excellent place to stay in Aquas Calientes. It is located right in the town's main square and has excellent views of the surrounding Andes Mountains. For $60/night (which is a bit steep for hostel prices in general but not for Aguas Calientes) you actually get quite a nice room and breakfast. Our matrimonial room on American standards would have actually been considered a suite back home. It was a brilliant room located on the corner of the property complete with its own french doors that opened up to a nice patio that jutted out above the main square. It would have been a nice place to watch the sunrise or to enjoy a morning coffee if it weren't so rainy when we went. The room had its own kerosene heater built into the wall, a very nice shower and bath complete with soaps and shampoos made my local people with a long supply of hot water which is needed when visiting wet and rainy Machu Picchu in April. It had a huge Queen size bed with nice warm and clean linens. There is even TV, but being so high in the mountains you only get 4 stations.

Unique Quality: Also at the hostel, there is a nice gameroom with a pool table and tables for you to enjoy a nice relaxing afternoon playing cards. Also the kitchen will make you brown bag lunches that you can take with you on your days journey to Machu Picchu for $5 US which is complete with 2 sandwiches, a drink, fruit, and a snack. They will also store your luggage if you need while visiting Machu Picchu.

Furthermore you will find that if you book this hotel through hostel websites, they say you have to pay the bill in full at some random office in Cusco. We never did this, and we were still happy to find that our room was waiting for us nice and sound when we arrived.

Directions: Located off of one of the corners in the main square just passed the church.

More about Gringo Bill's Hostal

Great choice

by TripAdvisor Member ms9

Prepaid on paypal 120 for a deluxe suite. Hotel had tons of vacancy and pricing at the hotel showed only 90 for the same room but not going to press the issue.

Room overlooks the square, at night does have noise but dies down about 10. Also early am the whole town gets woken by church bells and songs (in case u can sleep in). Clean, big room with porch and jacuzzi. Hot water was available but took about half hour to fill the tub and was lukewarm than hot.
Heater was not working but kindly was brought a plug in.

Staff is very pleasant and is there when you arrive at the train. Overall staff very polite, helpful and well mannered.
You walk into town center (3 mins) through the market.
We also hiked up Putukusi and did the Mandor waterfall. The hotel has a local map with directions on walking tours. Buy your MP ticket 1 block from the hotel and the bus ticket near the bus stop 2 blocks from hotel. Eat at Indio Feliz for dinner and Totos for lunch buffet (a bit $$$).

Ok, but probably your best bet for Aquas Calientes

by TripAdvisor Member misswendysf

I think unless you want to drop $300 or more this is your best bet. We got a junior suite for $70 with a small balcony. The only real complaint we had was that the room smelled very mildewy and our bedding was damp. Now certainly it was more humid there than other places we went in Peru but we felt it was more than an issue of humidity. Like we suspect the sheets were not dried completely.

Anyways- breakfast was ok, the room was tidy enough and the staff was very friendly.

OK, but service could have been better

by TripAdvisor Member KASE

Gringo Bill´s was probably once very popular, but had tonnes of vacancies now and seemed to be low on cash (hence they seem to have increased the room price to include lunch/dinner to get more business in their mediocre and otherwise empty restaurant)

Rooms were OK, our standard double was 75 USD on hotelclub.com incl lunch or dinner, as well as breakfast. At breakfast, jam was the only thing offered to put on the bread. The luchboxes that were advertised and which we ordered for our very early trip to Machu Picchu the next day were however not prepared (and no notice was given) with reference to the fact that "they did not have the right bread to make the sandwiches";

The place was out of hot water due to gas shortage, however they paid for our visit to the hot springs as compensation, nice gesture.

All in all I would recommend Gringo Bill´s, however I believe there is less reason for high expectations than some of the reviews here at TA would suggest;

Below Average Backpackers Hostal

by TripAdvisor Member emc8760

Definitely a backpackers institution, not good enough for average traveler. Location is good but rooms aren't nice and staff isn't helpful. Front desk woman was totally confused by everything, couldn't find our reservation, and couldn't verify that we paid. She was totally useless. Book anywhere but here!

Nice

by TripAdvisor Member IamRyan

Stayed one night, Thursday June 28th, in room 36. I had one double bed, balcony overlooking plaza, tv, and jetted tub. I had just finished the Inca Trail and was so relieved when I arrived. Lots of hot water and the jetted tub felt awesome! The breakfast was just your average continental breakfast. They let me store my luggage the next day while I was at Machu Picchu. Very clean and very helpful staff. A little pricey for Peru, but not for Aguas Callientes. This is a very pricey town.

Just a place to spend the night

by TripAdvisor Member lissega

Accommodation options in Aguas Calientes are somewhat limited, so we thought we'd give Gringo Bill's a try. The location is definitely great, but everything else is just okay.

Checking in was quite interesting because despite the fact that all the rooms seemed to be available, we still weren't allowed to check in. Instead, we "borrowed" a room to quickly change and catch our bus to Machu Picchu.

When we returned we were given two adjoining rooms with a nice balcony where we enjoyed a few drinks after dinner. There are no screens on the windows, so we were afraid the mosquitos were going to work their way into our room (fortunately, they didn't).

In the morning, we were informed that breakfast was available, but when we entered the dining area, it was desolate and the few things on the table didn't look the least bit appealing, so we opted to just grab breakfast at a local breakfast.

When it came time to check out (check out is at 9am!), we were asked if we had breakfast at the establishment and since we didn't, it appears our rate was knocked down from $150 to $120...so its something to keep in mind, as $30 will buy you a decent meal, elsewhere.

Overall, Gringo Bill's is lacking customer service, but if you need a place to stay and you aren't picky, then Gringo Bill's is an option.

A place to die for!!!

by TripAdvisor Member headgreenkeeper

The hostel is ok, the rooms smell damp and musty BUT the big danger is the gas heaters. There is no extract to air so he heater takes all the oxygen and pumps out carbon monoxide. BUT that is ok according to the notice on the wall as there are grills above the door to let fresh air in, really, in our room they were blocked off. So I put the fire on whilst we went out but when we got back the fire would not switch off , the hotel porter did not know how to turn it off. So I turned it off at the mains.

Be careful this hotel is dangerous.

TRAVELLING TO PERU NEXT JUNE

Im going to travel to Peru in June. My first question
1. Is There is possible to find good excursions directly in Peru an cheaper than Internet?
2. If i want to make the tourist circuits on my own is it possible? or is better to contact a travel agency?

Regards.

by nhoolb

I organised all trips myself these last years in Peru, bookings via internet and/or by phone. Buses, trains, hotels, airtravel etc.
There is a lot of info here on VT, you may also want to check my transportation pages.

by elpariente

The only circuit , as far as I know , that you "must" do with an agency and make an early booking is The Inca Trail , for all the rest you can do on your own
You can contract the excursions by internet or on site . The price difference , mainly will be if you contact direcly to the operators of the excursion or if you contact intermediate companies

by nhoolb

Yes, you are right! The Inca trail must be organised, it's the exception. (I didn't trek that's why I forgot about that.....)

thanks a lot.
I have have some toruble to find hotel in Aguas Calientes, Could you give me some advice about that?
I am going to arrive Lima in June 15, around 1 am, I am planning to take a flight to Cuzco in the first LAN PERU flight (4 am), arriving to Cuzco 7 am. Is it possible to take the train this day or I have to wait the day after?

Thanks again.

thanks a lot

by elpariente

I can tell you my experience :
I took in the airport a taxi and dedicated all day to visit the Sacred Valley . He left us in Ollantaytambo and we took the last backpacker train to Aguas Calientes
We slept in AC , so we could take the first bus to MP , that alouds you to start the visit without the "invasion" of those that arrive inthe trains from Cuzco
In the last train I went Cuzco and I spent a few days enjoying the city
Buen Viaje !!!!!!

In AC we stayed in Hotel Presidente
A backpackers hostal in AC is Gringo Bill
There is a lot of info here on VT, better check that out first!
In Cusco in Hotel El Andariego
For trains see

by kzapanta

Juan's suggestion about taking a taxi that morning you arrive in Cuzco to walk around the Valley is great. Then take the last train up to A.C. all in one day.

But to answer your question, yes, there is a way to take the first arrival plane from Lima to Cuzco, ask a taxi to take you to Ollyantambo, then from there catch the morning backpacker train to A.C. That was what we did. Hostel Gringo Bills is excellent, contact info on my tips. Great info on their website too!

Comments