Calle San Martin 339, Miraflores, Lima, 18, Peru
Hotels.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Lima

Museo Rafael Larco Herrera - storage roomMuseo Rafael Larco Herrera - storage room

Folk Dancing in Peru, Junius Restaurant on LimaFolk Dancing in Peru, Junius Restaurant on Lima

Statue in the middle of the squareStatue in the middle of the square

Wooden balconiesWooden balconies

One day in Lima: what to do!

by Kindra

Hi there,

On my December/January tour of Peru and Bolivia, I have a full day in Lima between flights (December 27: arriving from Cuzco at 9 am and leaving for La Paz at 9 pm). Its my only chance to see Lima and I would much rather do stuff for my 10 free or so hours. Can you recommend options for me to see the city? At this point, I am looking either for a good city tour that offers me an opportunity to see the sites, try some good Limeno food or the paragliding tour. Can anyone recommend tour operators? Thanks!

by risse73

Go check my Lima page for the tour I did last year. Another option is to check with Noel (aka "nhoolb") who may be able to refer you to a local tour operator as he travels there often. Goodluck & enjoy beautiful Peru!

by risse73

Another option is to do this on your own and get to Miraflores for the paragliding activity. It's by Love Park--about 2-5 minutes walk from the Larcomar shopping complex by the ocean. If you want to contact a reliable cab service that will take you from the airport to Miraflores along with some historical sightseeing in downtown and back to the airport, check my Lima "transportation" tip and contact Abel. He is trustworthy and I have referred him to many others who have only great things to say about him. Goodluck again & enjoy your trip!

by robine

My top priority would be the pre-Colombian gold museum (Museo Miguel Mujica Gallo).

by totoritas

Whatever you do , you HAVE TO eat in Lima .
There are hundreds of cebicherias ( cebiche is the most famous peruvian dish ) or chifas ( chinese - peruvian food )
Those are great... Best restaurants are either in San Isidro or Miraflores.
Miraflores is very tourist area , so that can be one of your destinies .
I am not familiar with the paragliding tour, but it is very likely there, since there is a cliff overlooking the Lima bay in Miraflores.

Restaurants I recomend are: La Mar or Pescados Capitales for seafood or Chifa Internacional for chinese, but pretty much any restaurant in those districts is great , just of course use common sense and don't go into a tiny, out of the way place, with no sanitary conditions .
If you want criolla food ( typical peruvian from the colonial time), I recomend Jose Antonio.

Other places you can visit inlcude Barranco , which is the bohemian and artistry district and pretty close to Miraflores, but it is more fun at night.

Finally, another place you dont want to miss is the Centro de Lima ( Lima Center ) which has the main square, cathedral , Government Palace and several churches going back hundreds of years..

Tips: although petty crime maybe a problem it is not much than with any other big city , just use common sense and dont wear jewelry or expesnive wrist watches.
Lima Tours is the biggest tour operator, I also know Colorama , but there are probably several more big companies operating now.

I hope this helps... enjoy your trip

by dansak

Hi!

You can visit Lima by yourself, you have very few hours, so you can go to few places, one of the might be the DOWNTOWN and MIRAFLORES (LARCOMAR and near areas), a very good restaurant is LA ROSA NAUTICA, it is some meters inside the ocean (very near to LARCOMAR):

Take care,
SANDRO

Travel Tips for Lima

New Years Eve

by MovingMere

In the States, our custom is to kiss at midnight - whether it's kissing a date on the mouth or a friend on the cheek, it's one of our few universal traditions. Then we pop open a bottle of champagne and toast to the new year.

In Peru, their midnight traditions center around securing luck for the new year. First, everyone eats 12 grapes. When we arrived at our party, there were glasses at everyone's place at the table already filled with a dozen grapes. (You can merge the two traditions by eating the grapes during the countdown so you are free to kiss at midnight ;)) Then, you have the option of participating in a number of things depending on what you wish for in the new year:

For travel, walk around the block with suitcases. For a house, sit under the table. I'm assuming it's wide open and you can participate in whatever event you feel will bring you good luck.

Also, yellow is for good luck, so if you're not going to an organized party that will provide the favors, be sure to wear or carry a little something yellow. In our case, we were even drinking yellow drinks! (screwdrivers) Be sure to cover your glasses at midnight, as the yellow confetti will fall into your drink and make it more difficult to toast. Salud!

And you are in a latin country, so there should be plenty of lively dancing to last you well into the first day of the new year.

Rimac River

by SirRichard

I was interested in seeing the Rimac River in Lima after reading so much about it in Mario Vargas Llosa's novels, but the river itself is but a tiny creek in a not very beautiful background, so it really doen't deserve a visit...

Getting Around

by Jim_Eliason

Taxis are cheap enough in Lima that it is not worth the effort to try to navigate the bus system. Taxis do not have meters and you need to negotiate a price before getting in. Other than a little bargaining ahead of time I found all the cab drivers knew how to get places and did not try to gouge more money later.

A good choice

by JessieLang about Tanta

I had an excellent dinner at Tanta, a restaurant in Miraflores.

They have attractive modern decor; friendly and efficient service. Open 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. (9-6 on Sundays.) I had Ajo de Gallina, and it was delicious. My entree, plus dessert and a Pisco Sour, came to about $20 U.S.

Check out San Francisco Church and Convent

by Bristol_Rich

Definately worth checking out San Francisco church, complete with Bone ossary! If I remember rightly the church features a painting of the Last Supper complete with Christ and the Disciples tucking into Cuy (Guinea Pig) - I don't remember that being mentioned in the St James' version of the Bible I read at school. There are English language guides to the Church, which are worth going on as the place has an incredible history.

Comments