Elizabeth's House

Av del Parque Norte 265, San Isidro, Lima, Lima 27, Peru

More about Lima

Palacio de JusticaPalacio de Justica

Front of the palaceFront of the palace

Scaffolding from the bus upstairsScaffolding from the bus upstairs

Alpaca III shop windowAlpaca III shop window

Using the ATM card

by Enewons

Thanks for suggesting I use an ATM card when I visit Peru and Bolivia. I went to my local bank to activate it for overseas usage today. My card does not have the Visa logo but Maestro and Cirrus. Will I be able to use them in Lima and La Paz?

Also , I would like to try the local food. What is popularly sold in the markets and stalls? Is the staple food potatoes or rice? What snacks are usually consumed? How much should I allocate for food a day?

Thanks.

Re: Using the ATM card

by kiwigal_1

Hi there,

You won´t have a problem using your credit card in Peru and Bolivia. Most of the ATM´s have VISA, Cirrus, Maestro and PLUS signs. I had no problem with my Mastercard obtaining money and it was certainly the most convenient way to get cash.

The Peruvian food is really good. You should try Papas a la Huacaina, Aji de Gallina, Ceviche. You may have also heard that in Peru they eat Cui which is essentially Guinea Pig. I didn´t try it but you may like to.

Re: Using the ATM card

by iwys

I ate a guinea pig while I was waiting for the riot police to free our bus from the demonstraters, who periodically block the Pan-american highway, with their rocks and burning tyres. It wasn't very nice.

It's served whole, so you can see the little ears and eyes, and it's like old shoe leather. Also, If you see a dried llama foetus in the witches' market, don't eat it! Alpaca meat is nice to eat though. I also liked the quinhua soup. If you are into alcohol, then the pisco sours are great.

Peruvians and Bolivians are potato, not rice, eaters. They claim to have about a hundred different types, and can tell the difference between all of them!

ATM, with Maestro and Cirrus, no problem.

Travel Tips for Lima

Visit the museums and walk on...

by nygaston

Visit the museums and walk on the Plaza de Armas or Plaza Mayor and around...then, after that, there is nothing to see ! Do not stay in LIMA more than one day.
Go to Miraflores, just near the beach.
walk in Miraflores , on the beach.

Palacio de Justicia

by ThiagoRamos

This is another beautiful building that cannot be considered a tourist attraction, but deserved a picture in my album...

From Plaza de Armas take Jiron de la Union until Plaza San Martin. Cross the square and keep walking until you reach Paseo de la Republica. The Palacio de Justicia is almost in front of Plaza Grau.

Airport taxis

by easterntrekker

We found the taxis to be very reliable . When we arrived we had our hotel send a cab to pick us up ...it was very early around 5AM . The charge for two was $25.00 to Lima.

WE paid about $20.00 by cab going back to the airport . It's best for security not to flag a cab down...better to call from the hotel or restaurant.

ceviche : the National Dish of Peru

by nicoleken

Your Majesty "El Ceviche"

There are several different stories about the origin and name of this dish. Some historians point out that the word cebiche originated when English sailors arrived. They tried this typical dish and called it "Sea Beach". Other researchers say it has Arabic origins because "sebech" means sour food in the Arabic Zone of the Occidental Mediterranean. In fact, the word Cebiche has been registered since 1820.

INGREDIENTS AND COMPLIMENTS OF CEVICHE

Cebiche is usually prepared with a bitter lime called "Ceuti" which is very acidic. The other ingredients of cebiche are: fish, seafood, garlic, onion and salt. This delicious dish is usually complemented with corn, boiled sweet potato, manioc and a variety of corn called "Chulpe" which is fried in oil. It ancient times, Peruvians used to eat raw fish because of the lack of firewood. At that time, people from the coast seasoned fish with hot pepper, the juice of some bitter oranges and lemon. They also added seaweed.

Why is Cebiche the favorite dish of Peruvian people? It is not only because of its flavor, but also because its ingredients reflect our identity.

Fish represents the richness of our sea.
Lemon represents the strength of our blood.
Onion represents the melancholy.
Hot pepper represents our craftiness.
Corn represents the richness of our land.
Sweet potato represents our warming hearts.

Cebiche is quick and easy to prepare. For our recipe, go to the following link: http://travel.peru.com/travel/idocs

Lima City Tour

by MerlinAmsterdam

The last day in Lima we went on city tour around Lima. It was, for us, a kind of resume of our holidays as many things we had seen and done during our vacations in Peru. We visited the modern and residential areas of Lima and also the Colonial and Republican City centre of Lima. We visited the Plaza san Martin, surrounded by white buildings. At the Central Square we went for a walk and felt the atmosphere of ancient times. We enjoyed the Convent of San Francisco very much. From there we went along the Huaca Puclanan a pre-Inca temple in the middle of modern Miraflores! From there on to the Love Park with a precious view over Lima's bay and the Pacific Ocean. We finshed in the bohemian Barranco and had a very good lunch. We do not agree with the books that you should leave Lima immediately, this is a must do during your holidays.

Comments