Gran Hotel Bolivar Lima

Historical Travel Budget Travel
See Amenities
AVSENT's Profile Photo

Not Worth the Money

Terrible (1.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on February 28, 2014

This is a hotel that has outlived it's glory. It has an old model-t type of car in the Lobby? The marble and granite floors and stylish architecture can in no way make up for the stay that I had. For the most part the staff are a trying bunch but, when your not interested in good customer service it shows. There was a disco/bar next door and there was music until 2 am and this was the least of the downside. The furnishings were outdated and there was no working climate control (just a knob on the wall that didn't do anything). I was thankful it was a warm day and cooler night so, I just opened the windows all the way and waited for it to cool down. It was late when I got to the room (after visiting the malls and going to dinner) to go to sleep- no reason to complain at this point and keep myself up any longer. Well, I got a few hours of sleep and had to catch an early flight and awoke to catch a shower and breakfast (included). I got into the shower and the hot water stopped working. It went off and on; and I would turn it off each time to restart the hot water. What a pain. The view were the windows of other rooms. The breakfast wasn't much better. I went down early and they wouldn't let me in early to sit. So, when they opened I was truly turned of by coffee and bread for their continental breakfast. What a lousy experience.

Pros: Can't think of any

Cons: To many to list. Do NOT stay here. It's not worth it. Find any place better; where things work and you can control the heat/ac and get a good shower.

Unique Quality: Museum like hotel.

Directions: Plaza San Martin

littlesam1's Profile Photo

A little more about the Gran Hotel Bolivar

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 10, 2010

I know many times when I am looking at Virtual Tourist pages I don't always look at all of the pictures uploaded for a tip. I usually look at the first one and move one. I wanted to make sure anyone who reads this page does not miss any photos of this hotel so I am uploaded a few more in a seperate tip here. The hotel has to be seen to be believed. Looking back I am still shocked at the bargain we received when booking this hotel.

Unique Quality: The large are you see in these photos is the actual private balcony attached to the room we rented. I sat out on this balcony late at night watching the traffic go by and watching the activity late in the evening on Plaza San Martin. It was difficult to go to bed with so much to see and do.

littlesam1's Profile Photo

An aging gem

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 10, 2010

We were extremely fortunate to be able to stay in Central Lima at the Gran Hotel Bolivar. We booked the room through Agoda.com and received an outstanding deal. The hotel was running a special on the site and we booked a room for $24 a night. This sounds like the price for a hostel or one star hotel. The Gran Hotel Bolivar is a classic 4 or 5 star hotel from the 1920's. What we thought would be a room was in actuality as suite. We had a private balcony that was the size of most hotel rooms themselves. From the balcony we had a direct view of the beautiful Plaza San Martin. The hotel is located in a very safe neighborhood and is centrally located in the middle of the shopping and tourist district.

Unique Quality: The hotel is aging as some people have commented on various reviews on the internet. But don't let that put you off. The hotel is aging gracefully. The staff is friendly. The hotel is spotless. When you enter the main door its like stepping back into time. You will feel like you have entered the 1920's. There are not enough words to describe the experience. Let me just say that this was one of the best experiences I have had traveling and staying at a hotel.

Directions: The hotel is located in Plaza San Martin

ValbyDK's Profile Photo

Great location in the old town

Good (3.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on December 25, 2009

Gran Hotel Bolivar Lima was built in the 1920s, and was once regarded as one of the most luxurious hotels in Peru. Today, the glory may have faded - and you’ll find a few cracks in the walls and missing paint here and there - but IMO it still has a lot of charm and atmosphere and I would stay there again anytime... Our room was split into two separate rooms... Clean and spacious with double bed, TV, twin beds, and a sofa group... The bathroom was also huge and clean (but not much hot water in the shower)... Plain, but OK breakfast ‘a la carte’... Great location right on Plaza San Martin, and within walking distance to Plaza de Armas and many other interesting sights...

Urzu's Profile Photo

Probably Lima's most famous Hotel

by written on July 9, 2008

Unique Quality: Well, having so much family in Lima, I wouldn't stay in a Hotel, right? Still I thought I'd add a tip of the Hotel Bolívar, so you can go see it, even if only to have a "chela" (beer) just like I did. The Hotel Bolívar takes it's name from the "liberador" Simón Bolívar, and it was built to commemorate the independance of Peru. This was one of the first luxury hotels in Lima, and in its rooms many famous people have stayed during the years.
Nowadays the hotel could be doing better, and while I was there I heard that some people even wanted to close it down. However it's very nice to go and explore the inside (especially at night when it feels like a ghost might just appear around the corner!). if you go to the bar the prices won't be crazy high, so no reason why not to go and enjoy a Cusqueña or a Pisco Sour!

Eish's Profile Photo

Grand accommodation, at budget rates

Great (4.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2008

We loved the colonial grandness and splendour, from the car on display in the entrance, the chandaliers and marble staircases, to the wooden floors and stately furniture in the room. It is a historical building, built in 1924 to house visiting dignitaries attending the centenary celebration of the Battle of Ayacucho, which was the final batle in the Peruvian war of Independence.

The hotel is in the centre of Lima, and as it happens, the night we stayed was also the time of a political rally and demonstration. The police had cordoned off the hotel as the political speeches were being made from the hotel's front staircase. Our taxi driver parted the police by telling them that the senora (me) was pregnant!

We ate a lovely dinner on the patio cafe of the hotel, protected by electric fencing from protesting demonstrators in the street outside. The cafe has a wonderful view of the street vibe: the hooting cars (many with hooters that sound like police sirens).

Our room had SPACE (high ceilings plenty of floor space), and was very comfortable, to the point of being luxurious (for a $80 room for 4 people in 2005) after much of the backpacking or budget accommodation we used previously. The room rate is open to negotiation, but do that before you arrive. Our taxi driver had negotiated a reduction for us. There are 104 rooms, and we delighted in getting gloriously lost trying to navigate to our room. The rooms have en suite bathrooms (including bath tubes if you believe their web site), TVs and balconies.

Directions: In the centre of Lima, about 20 minutes from the airport.

rfgslc Jan 27, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I stayed in this hotel a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it! In March, I'm staying here again. Yes, it's faded glory, but it's still glory. Huge rooms, big bathrooms, continental breakfast. Visitors were not allowed, but I've called the front desk. Short visits are okay.
Richard from Salt Lake City, Utah.

Nearby Gran Hotel Bolivar Lima

• Suites
  • Room Service
  • Business Services

Lima Travel Forum

Need advice about Lima, Peru? Visit the Travel Forum for Lima and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Lima hotel reviews