La Paz , Miraflores, Miraflores, Lima, Peru
Expedia.com Booking.com Travelocity

More about Lima

ParaglidingParagliding

side door of the palaceside door of the palace

Cleaning the railingsCleaning the railings

Inside Alpaca III shopInside Alpaca III shop

Callao transportation

by Werli

Hi,
Is there anybody who can tell me if at the cruise terminal in Callao, there are busses or reliable taxis to the city center ?
Thanks

Re: Callao transportation

by maritaweb

Hello!
Yes, there is one taxi company authorized by the port that have their units right next to the cruises and you better hire them for the round trip becuase you will have a hard time to get a taxi back to the port.
They offer a safe service, more expensive but safe!
Otherwise, you have to walk to the port's exit for about 15 minutes and then take a taxi from the street but this is not safe at all.

Forget about buses!!!

Travel Tips for Lima

The Plaza de Armas

by Ramonq

See the Plaza de Armas. This is Lima's power base. The Presidential Palace is here, and so is the Lima Cathedral. It is also flanked by governemnt buildings in one side of the square. Peru's spiritual,political and economic well-being are being shaped around this plaza Driving along the Pacific coast of Lima. Lima's air pollution can be oppresive, the sea breeze is invigorating. It was a great relief to see the ocean after trekking around the interiors of South America.

Coffee and cake in...

by B_Caro

Coffee and cake in Barranco

This one is not the fondest memory I have from Peru but it was my last impression of Lima and it was a nice one.

On Sunday morning we arrived in Lima, coming from Cuzco. Our plane back to Europe was at 9 p.m.
So we had a whole day we could spend at Lima. We had a bus at our disposal and decided to do some sightseeing along the coast and in the districts Miraflores, Chorillo, Barranco.

We stopped in Chorillos to see the Pescadores. And seeing this variety of fish and shellfish, we wanted to have lunch in a fish restaurant. Our local guide made some arrangements in a fish restaurant, situated in Barranco.
Nearby the restaurant was a small market place, with a lot of market stall selling all kind of prepared food: like ceviche, rocoto relleno, pollo, palta a la reyna, trucha a la plancha, lomo saltado, chicharon, cuy,.... and a big assortment of cakes.

It smelled delicious. In the middle of the marketplace, there were also tables and chairs and people could sit there to enjoy meal & drinks. Seems like there was some kind of event going on. Anyway, it looked very inviting. But we had already booked the restaurant, so there was no choice. And this restaurant was a bit of a disappointment. We regret that we didn't stay at the market place to have lunch and we decided to have dessert and coffee at this little market place. Wow, there was really a lot of choice! All kind of cakes and desserts. There was also a kind of 'free podium' (like we call it in Belgium) with young musicians playing South American songs.

In the meantime, a lot of people (almost all from the neighbourhood) were at the market place and enjoying their lunch. We were the only tourists around. And from the way they looked at us I had the feeling that tourists don't come here very often.
So we were sitting there, amongst the others, some start to talk with us. And it seems that this event takes place every Sunday.
And when we left, people even start waving at us. It was really funy.

On the way back we stopped at the Parque de Amore in Miraflores and nearby there was a place (at the top of the cliffs) where several para-pentes where flying. For 20 dollar you could even made a duo-flight. It looked very inviting to make such a flight, but is was so close to our own departure that I didn't want to take the risk.

I only have a few pics from this last day in Peru as I had no film left. So I hope I can borrow some from my fellow travellers.

Old Cars

by hartti

Here you may meet old or otherwise especial cars. Please, help me identify more exactly the cars in photos, if you are able to! My suggestions:

1. Dodge Dart. Looks like original 1966 model, but I suppose it has been built later in Colombia.
2. Looks like Datsun/Nissan Pickup model about 1980?
3. Ford Taunus 17M P3 1960-64. I myself had similar from 1961 in 1975, but farmer model.
4. Volkswagen 1300. I had also many samples of this car.

Beach front cafeterias...fresh seafood

by cybergenic about Ceviche for all !

Along the coast especially in Lima they serve an assortment of lunch time snacks. One that I ordered totally by accident but fell in love with is called Ceviche.

Without a doubt if bad food was going to kill me it was going to be Ceviche. But fear not !

This dish consisting of fresh fish cooked in only the citric acid of lemons, garnished with spicey chillies, red onion and cilantro proved to be my favourite Peruvian dish of all time.

Sometimes called Cebiche or Pesca con limon.

I ordered it from many street vendors and local cafeterias without any disruption to my stomach. Sometimes you get a few scallops and prawns thrown in to add some variety. After you have finished with the main meal you are left with a coconutty, lemonie, spicey soup. This is known as "Leche de tigre" or Tigers milk. Peruvian legend has it that this spicey milk works as a powerful aaphrodisiac

Enjoy. Cebiche, very tastie. Cheap. Served chilled. Readily available on the coast.

Plaza de Armas

by Urzu

This is the main square in Lima, it's where in the 16th century Francisco Pizarro located the center of the city. The square has hosted some of the most important events in the history of the city, and you can find many important buildings in it, such as the Cathedral, the Government Palace, the Cityhall, the Archbishop Palace and the Club de la UniĆ³n.

Comments