Penascal Surf Hotel

Penascal Surf Hotel
Expedia.com Tingo.com Travelocity

More about Lima

Playa - Miraflores - ParaglidingPlaya - Miraflores - Paragliding

going up the mountaingoing up the mountain

Inca Cola signInca Cola sign

Looking down at the restaurantLooking down at the restaurant

Arriving in Lima at 4:30 a.m. Rent hotel?

by Cathylee2006

Hi,

My flight from the U.S. arrives in Lima very, very early ... like 4:30a! I'm planning on taking an overnight bus later that day from Lima to Arequipa. Should I go ahead and rent a hotel room, hoping they'll let me check in around 6:00a, get some rest, see a bit of Lima, and then hop on my bus south?

Also, it seems that many of the overnight buses between cities (Lima-Arequipa, Arequipa-Puno, Puno-Cusco) arrive extremely early in the morning. I'm curious to know what other travelers have done in this situation. Arrange super early arrival with hotels? Drop off bags at hotels and wander the empty morning streets?

Thanks!

by risse73

You've raised an interesting point. I doubt if the bus terminals have lockers for storage of belongings. Hope other VTers chime in on this.

It seems like a waste of money to reserve a hotel room just for a day without an overnight stay. I hope you are staying in Lima again after your Peruvian adventure because you can reserve a hotel space for a future stay and use that as your leverage to negotiate storage of your belongings for a day while you see a bit of the city prior to heading down south that same night.

Goodluck & enjoy beautiful Peru!

by melosh

I did not see lockers at bus stations but recall most had a place to leave luggage with an attendant. So for a single day visit I would leave my bags at the bus station and return in the evening for my next bus. I doubt that they would be open 24 hours. The baggage deposit at the Lima airport was open 24 hours but I had to wake him up at 6 am. He was sleeping below the desk. Of course, I only use airport luggage deposits if I plan to return to fly out of the same airport. When spending the night I do go to a hotel. Often they will let you check in early without an extra charge. Otherwise if they expect to have a room available they will let you leave your bags until check-in time.

You are either in a great hurry or eager to get to cities in Peru without seeing Peru. If this is the case, I would suggest you go straight to the appropriate bus station and take a bus to Arequipa. The amount of sleep and experience you would get from a hotel and seeing "a bit of Lima" on a single day is not worth the hassles or expense. I would suggest that you either stay the night or make Lima another visit. If you take a high class bus you can safely sleep much of the way and still see more that you would at night. Of course, if you will be sleeping do not put things where they would be accessible to other travelers. I feel that checking baggage into the baggage compartments is safer than putting it in an overhead storage shelf.

Other than scenery, another reason to take day buses is that they are probably safer than night buses. To me this would be especially important on mountain roads. The negatives are that long day buses would tend to arrive at night. This would be true for a bus Lima-Arequipa or Puno-Cusco. A day bus from Arequipa to Puno takes only about 5 hours so this need not be a problem.

good luck

by Cathylee2006

Thank you for the feedback. We decided to stay the night on the day we arrive, and then take a late afternoon flight the next day to Arequipa.

Travel Tips for Lima

Street Performers

by JessieLang

In the midst of heavy traffic that borders on chaos, street performers entertain in the intersections. We saw a guy lying in the crosswalk balancing a pole on his forehead. Just before the light changed, he leaped up and dashed to the sidewalk.

On another street, a kid on a unicycle was juggling in an intersection while we waited at the red light. Suddenly there was a loud pop, and he was finished—his tire blew out.

Camana Street

by SirRichard

Just one block away from Plaza de Armas you will find this charming street where "Las Nazarenas" and "Santo Domingo" churches are located. I liked specially its old times atmosphere, all the street was very well preserved and made me think of those centuries of colonial Lima...

Taxis are great

by XKuger

I found that taxis were every where and very safe. Most of the time I was quoted a fair rates. At times they tried to hussle, I said sorry this is the fare and not once did the taxi driver refuse the fare I quoted.

Please do not uses this to your advantage and squeeze the cabs for their last penny's worth.

We can sometimes affort to pay a quarter more than is a lot for someone in Peru.

EXCELLENT CRIOLLO CUISINE

by Jonathan43 about MANOS MORENAS

EXCELLENT PERUVIAN DISHES, very sophisticated restaurant, formal setting located in the bohemian Barranco section. Try the Pisco Sour cocktail! The piqueo criollo was delicious!! The anticuchos are great, there is a fine selection of wines

Eat Picarones and watch the passing parade

by Eish

Mmmm. Sticky, messy - just perfect stuff for kids. Picarones are like thin doughnuts made from a pumpkin or sweet potato dough, smothered in a light syrup. We found them in many places, but the photo shows us at the park near the Cathedral in Lima, the Plaza Mayor.

You will find a recipe for Picarones at http://perufood.blogspot.com/2006/02/picarones-pumpkin-fritters.html

Comments