Suites Del Bosque

Satisfaction Poor

Costs 49% less but rated 29% lower than other 5 star hotels

More about Lima

Sun TempleSun Temple

mosaics in the parkmosaics in the park

Partly corrected underexposurePartly corrected underexposure

Don't do any of these in the public viewDon't do any of these in the public view

Driving to Cusco from Lima -> Cusco & Puno -> Arequipa - how are the roads now?

by clhomme

I'm going to be in Peru with my wife the first 2 weeks of October. 10 years ago I drove from Lima to Cusco via Nasca up to Abancay... it was a bit hairy in places (for a small Toyota Yaris)... but I made it...

There have probably been a lot of improvements since then... I would like to drive up through Huancayo and along route 3 to Cusco this time.

Also... I drove from Puno (lake Titicaca) to Arequipa, and that was the most nerve racking 8 hours of my life. Has that improved?

Does anyone know the road conditions?

Thank you all!

Re: Driving to Cusco from Lima -> Cusco & Puno -> Arequipa - how are the roads now?

by nhoolb

Ha...very interesting. But I can't help you. I'm not into such adventures (anymore).
However I would like to keep track about the outcome of YOUR adventure, if you don´t mind. I also wonder if there is a member who recently really drove there him/herself, by car.

The only experience I can remember is going by car Lima-Tarma-Huancayo but that´s almost half a century ago, when I lived there....

Good luck and let me (us) know how things went.

Noel

by clhomme

Thanks... I will... State Dept warns heavily on the driving thing..

by RNO

Hi
im french and im living in Cusco (since 2008).
I did a few time the trip in Bus between Cusco and Lima (passing by Abancay). I never did it by Arequipa.
Im telling you, still the road is bad and still they are bad accidents. The road in Abancay has been destroyed for 10 o 20 km with the rain fall of last february.
It is true, the sceneries are beautifull but it is really nerve raking, even in Bus (with a "profesional" driver).
The road between Cusco and Puno has improved a lot, but still alot of accidents...
I dont much the road to Arequipa, I have been only one time
If you need any help (where to stay, visits, restaurant...) let me know i can help you.
my Email is
alagadec@yahoo.com

You see cusco changed a lot... i visited Cusco the time in 2002...

Take care

Arnaud

Travel Tips for Lima

Tourist-oriented Places in Lima

by risse73

You will find many different lodgings/accommodations & nightlife in the Miraflores, San Isidro and Barranco areas of Lima. These are areas frequented by tourists and visitors. I loved the city tour where I got to explore more of downtown Lima.

someone to stop and smell the flowers with...

by richiecdisc

Lima's a great city to just stroll around, enjoy the sights and stop in where you fancy for something to eat or drink. It's nice to have someone to do that with like Doreen. She's willing to try new things and helps me to not rush about as I might normally do. Thanks for sharing our first amazing trip together. I'm sure there will be many more... :)

Paint the town!!

by AR76 about ...but not on Sundays :-(

We thought Lima's night life would be bustling all weekend, so on Sunday (our first day in Lima) we wanted to check out where the action would take place. That was the Miraflores neighbourhood, supposedly.
Well, maybe on Thu/Fri/Sat, I don't know, but on Sunday there is no action anywhere!! All clubs were closed and the few pubs that were open were almost completely empty... What a disappointment!

Bus services are cheap and...

by j2po

Bus services are cheap and mostly safe, there are a lot of Bus companies that travel everywhere, usually comfortably. Airlines are also cheap most of the year.
Public transportation is a plague, but it takes you everywhere you want without problem. There are no schedules, but you can always find a bus. Taxis are also very cheap... but remember, there are no taximeters in Peru; you negotiate the fare before the ride. Don't let the Taxi Drivers fool you, always talk to some local (friend or somebody you know) to get an Idea of usual fares and distances.

"Pizza Street"

by frankcanfly

Near the Main Plaza in Miraflores, there is a street that is named on the map as "Pizza Street." Here you'll find at least 20 cafes with local foods. There are 'hawkers' outside each one of them, pushing their menus toward you.

They are also good bars. I met this group of people from the UK and had a few drinks with them. They were just back from the Inca trail, and a little bit silly.

Comments