Cheap Hostel Lima
Lima - Aj Turistico International
Av. Casimiro Ulloa 328
I always stay in this hostel.
It's clean, located in a safe area in Miraflores and costs about 30 dollars a night.
There is a small garden to relax, with a swimming pool and you can have breakfast for 5 dollars.
I got it from someone who visited Lima a lot of times.
Enjoy your trip to the jungle!
Pariwana hostel Lima
I stayed in this hostel for about a week, It was reaaally good!! It has a lot of facilities! like free internet, wifi, free breakfast, laundry service, etc. But I think the most important quality is the location! it is the middle of the most popular district in Lima and is near everything. The staff is also very friendly and helpful for any info that you need. The webpage is : www.pariwana-hostel.com
Highly recommended!! The best locaction. A very nice bar and terrace with differetn table games, like pool, table tennis, etc. Free breakfast and internet. Very nice staff
Peru in August/Sept 1998
Prices were valid in Aug/Sep 98 : (US$ 1.0 was around S/3.0)
* LIMA :
- hostel : Mami Panchita, 198 Av. San Miguel, SAN MIGUEL, LIMA. email = firstname.lastname@example.org. US$ 10 a night with breakfast. Highly recommended, they speak Spanish, Dutch, English and French
- cathedral = S/.5.0
- San Francisco Monastery = S/.5.0 with guide (English available)
- colectivo to Pachacamac : S/.2.0, entry fee to the ruins : S/.5.0
* TRUJILLO :
- taxi from airport (at night) : S/.12.0 (!) should be bargained more lower.
- avoid Hostel Lima (Ayacucho) : dirty, stinking, only cold water if there is water and not friendly (I left after seeing the room). Morevover they told they have only one room at S/.20.0 (bargained at S/15.0) but that was wrong.
- Hostel Americano (Pizarro 792) : double for S/26.0 (regular price S/.30.0) with bath room and warm water all day. Clean, staff friendly. Ok to leave valuables at reception.
- Chan-Chan : S/.10.0 (ticket allows entry to Huaca Esmeralda and Huaca del Dragon), colectivo to get there : S/.0.80. Guide (english available) : S/.20.0 but it's possible to share the expense between several people (we were 4), that's worth the expense !
- good criola restaurants on plaza El Recreo, dinner menu at S/.3.50 with grilled beef.
- Huaca de la Luna : S/.5.0. Colectivo to get there : S/.0.80, note : you need then to catch a car because the site is at the end of dirt track (that should be 40 min. walking) : for us the car trip was S/.1.0. Spanish guide free.
* CASMA :
- bus from TRUJILLO : S/.15.0 (same price as for Lima !!), should be best to catch a bus to Chimbote, and then a colectivo to Casma (total should be S/.8.0)
- hotel Gregori S/.12.0 with cold water collective bathroom.
- moto taxi to Sechin ruins (5 km from Casma) : S/1.50. Entry fee : S/.5.0 with access to the tiny on site museum.
* HUARAZ :
- bus direct to Huaraz, company Huandoy (starting tiem +/- 9am): S/.13.0, 7 hours !
- hotel : Edward's Inn (Bolognesi 121) : double for S/.15.0 and warm water collective bathroom (warm in the afternoon). I didn't stay there.
- I prefered Hostel Raimondi (Raimondi 820) : a double for S/.15.0 with cold water private bathroom, and HOT water collective bathroom (LP wrongly say there is only cold water). Clean, with toilet paper, soap and a towel. Very good deal for that price. Take care if you leave some valuables at the reception : the manager is an old lady, and she easily forget you left something (and she don't want to give "un boletito" !) !
- tour to Pasto Ruri (5.200 m) with Pablo Tours (Luzuriaga 501) (9am - 6pm) : S/.25.0, recommended by the LP, but not by myself ! Indeed I was put with a group of another agency (who payed S/.2.0 less). Spanish guide was quite ok, but I was aware later that he should have guide us to the glacier and show us some caves, but he left us alone, waiting at the mini-bus.
- Laguna LLanganuco : colectivo to Yungay : S/.2.50, then colectivo to the firts lake : S/.5.0. Boat tour on the Laguna Chinancocha : S/.2.50 (I didn't do it, I prefered to walk all around and to go to the 2nd lake).
- Chavin de Huantar : bus = S/.8.0 (starting time 9:30am, but there are other schedules). Take care : there is no returning bus the Sunday (I almost bought to stay the night there...). Entry fee to the site : S/.5.0
* AREQUIPA :
- from the airport : colectivo (only in that way, to go back to the airport you need to catch a taxi or to be a group and to phone to the colectivo agency to get a price, but that's not worth if you're alone) : S/.3.0.
- HOSTAL DE TURISTAS (Bolivar 201) : S/.18.0 (regular price : S/.20.0) with hot water collective bathroom (not so clean). Another traveler recommended Hostal Bolivar (at the front of the former, num. 202), but I mixed up both, and I didn't stay at Bolivar's.
- Hostal La Reyna (between Mon. Santa Catalina and San Francisco) : a double for S/.15.0 with collective warm water. Very friendly (they offer you a tea when you arrive). very popular with backpackers.
- lavanderia (north end of Jerusalen) : S/5.0 per kg (cleaning +drying)
- 2 days tour to Cañon del Colca : US$24 including transport, 1 night in Chivay and 1 breakfast. (agency : Santa Catalina Tours). Guide speaking Spanish and approximative English. You have to know that you will have to pay an overcharge of S/.4.0 for a bath in Chivay hot springs, and US$2 to access to the Cruz del Condor. Moreover you will be conducted to touristic restaurants (mini. : S/.10.0 the menu). But for the last lunch, I look a restaurant by myself. The tour is 2x4 hours of travel, and ONLY 1 hour at the Cañon to see the Cañon itself and the condors, which is a pity because this is the main attraction.
- La Recoleta : S/.5.0 with English speaking guide.
- Santa Catalina : S/.12.0 (not sure !), you have to pay a substantial tip for a guide, I didn't get one but I was told that is worth the value (better if for a group)
- San Ignacio chapel (in La Compania) : S/.1.0
- taxi to go back to the airport : S/.6.0.
* CUZCO :
- taxi from inside the airport : S/.10.0 for 3 people (I think that should be much more cheaper outside and bargaining)
- Hostal Amaru, clean, friendly, hot water all day. Double without bath : S/.18.0 (reg. price : S/.20.0)
- Coricancha/Santo Domingo : S/.2.0, a Spanish guide : S/.9.0 for 3 people, worth it.
- Cuzco Tourist Ticket : US$10, includes entree to several places in Cuzco : ; and as well Saqsaywaman, Pucapucara, Q'enqo, Tambomachay, Pisac ruins, Ollataytambo, and other I didn't go
- colectivo to Pisac : S/.3.0
- colectivo from the village up to the ruins (the uppest ones) : S/.8.0 for 3.
- colectivo to go to Tambomachay (and back walking) : S/.1.60
- taxi to the station to Machupicchu : S/.2.0
- one way ticket to Aguas Calientes in Express Train : S/.27.50 (possible to buy it the day before)
- taxi to airport : S/.4.0
- I flew from Cuzco to Juliaca with AeroPeru, and I had to change plane in Arequipa, in such a case you have to pay ONLY ONE domestic flight tax (not 1 for each flight) : the domestic flight tax is S/.10.0 (international : US$ 25)
* AGUAS CALIENTES / MACHUPICCHU
- Aguas Calientes : Gringo Bill's hotel : S/.17.0 in a 4 bed room with collective warm water
- AC : dinner set menu : S/.10.0 (!) mini, in any rest. Take care they used to add a 10% service charge (never seen that in any other place in Peru)
- AC : lunch set menu at S/.5.0 (I found only 1 place at that price, at the end of the street along the railway), but not very good.
- walking up from Aguas Calientes to MP : 1h30 from the village, back down to the village : 0h50.
- bus going up to MP : one way S/.9.30 !!!! (20' ride)
- 1.5 liter water bottle at the MP shop : S/.7.0 ! (S/.4.0 in A.C.)
- enry fee to MP : US$10, if you want to go back the FOLLOWING day, you have to keep your 1st ticket and you'll be allowed for US$5
(opening hours : 9am-5:30pm)
- walking up Huaynapicchu : 0h50, hard way but that's worth the effort, walking down : 0h30.
- local train to Ollantaytambo in 1st class : S/.4.0. It's safe, I did not seen any problem, and felt secure (leaving at 4:30pm)
* OLLANTAYTAMBO :
- Hostal Miranda : S/.12.0, should have warm water, but it was cold !
- entry fee to the ruins included with Cuzco Tourist Ticket
- colectivo to URUBAMBA : S/.1.0
- bus from URUBAMBA to CUZCO should be around S/2.50
* PUNO :
- colectivo from Juliaca Airport directly to any hostel in Puno : S/.5.0 (that's possible to get a reservation for a pick up if you have to go back to the airport)
- Hostal Los Uros (Valcarcel 135) : double : S/.12.0 with warm water only between 7pm to 10pm (the only night I spent there, I missed that period, so I can't tell how hot is the water)
- Hostal Europa (Ugarte 112) : twin for S/15.0 with 24h warm water, but you have to let it run a while before it gets warm. Depending on the room, beds are not always very good.
- tour to Sillustani (2:30pm-6:30pm) : S/.13.0, that's worth it : very good guide : great knowledge of the place, and good English, but I don't remember the agency (on Tacna, close to AeroPeru agency)
- bus to Chucuito : S/.0.80, colectivo to go back : S/.1.0
- boat to Taquile Island (bought directly at the docks, not in an agency) : S/.18.0 (regular price is S/.20.0)
* TAQUILE Is. :
- vistor's tax to access the island : S/.1.0
- one night in an inhabitant : S/.5.0
- set menu at the municipal restaurant : S/.8.0. Note : it's located at the right of the "town hall" when you look at it, go to that restaurant instead of others, because it's the restaurant of the community and others are private ones, and tours guides go with their groups only in private rest. where I guess they have some substantial advantage, as a result the community rest. is almost empty, so help the community !
If you need further information, don't hesitate to email me at email@example.com
There's my spanish vocabulary. Any ways, I will be traveling to Lima at the end of Feb. / early March. I am looking for a cheap place to stay for about 10 days. Does any one
have info on a hostel/hotel by the name of the Asturias? I think that it is near a street by the name of Mayorazgo. If not, could any other place be suggested? I am spending most of my money getting to Peru. I would like to be able to walk around and see the sites but truly need an inexpensive place to stay.
Thank you for your help.
Re: cheap accomodations
I was very happy staying in a hostel named Backpakers Hostel Lima, which I really recommend- helpful and friendly owners. The hostel is located in Miraflores- a place I felt very safe and where I found a lot of other tourists. I think you can get rooms there from $9. The hostel is very close to the beach and in walking distance from nightlife, shopping, cafes etc. When it comes to the tourist attractions, transport is necessary. But, the owners are arranging city tours to the attractions for you. The hostel also has a web-site: www.peruanaso.com/backpakers.htm