Ambassador

Hostal Ambasador
Booking.com Hostelworld.com HostelBookers.com

More about Iquitos

volleyballvolleyball

this will take you ari's lolthis will take you ari's lol

taxi boatstaxi boats

little onelittle one

Iquitos in June

by Texas_Phil

Will anyone be in Iquitos in June? I am planning to be there for at least a week sometime between June 11-26. I've went 5-6 times from 2005-2006, but it's been almost 2½ years since my last visit and I am REALLY excited.

My tentative plans are to visit a jungle lodge for 3-4 days (probably Explorama since it was great on my first visit back in May, 2005) and maybe a couple of days in a small village outside of the city or down the river. (Depends on how adventurous I want to get!)

I know the city pretty well and would love to share some of this with anyone who'd like to tag along -- assuming you can stand my great enthusiasm for the place. I'm a high school teacher and plan to hit most of the tourist spots near the city -- Quistococha, Belen, the Butterfly Farm, etc. -- to take videos with my HD camera to show my students. Besides visiting friends, that's the main reason why I'm going.

If anyone wants to meet up and see some sights, I'd be glad to show them around. I am quite comfortable traveling like a local. I'm not looking to be a paid tour guide -- heck, I'll pay for the transportation if we go very far (like Quistococha) -- but since I'll be there for awhile, it would be nice to make some new friends to hang out with.

I absolutely love the city (except for the weather!) and can't wait to be there.

Phil

Re: Iquitos in June

by risse73

Sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy your trip & I hope you get some good responses here from fellow VTers. On that note, I would suggest to also post this in the VT meeting section since you'll probably get more visibility there. Good Luck!

Re: Iquitos in June

by Dgugg

hi

i will be their Start: 14 Jun 10
till say 19th when want to head to Ciudad Bolivar to go on to angle falls, then maybe come back around 26th and get a boat to IQUITO.

Diane - Australia

Travel Tips for Iquitos

In and around Iquitos

by Weny

Many people go to Iquitos to set up trip to a lodge on the Amazon. This is good thing to do. There are many good deals to be had and some wonderful lodges have offices in Iquitos. There are a lot of things to do right around iquitos. A visit to a local butterfly farm and nature reserve is a good idea. When I was there they also had ababy jaguar there whose mother had been shot and they had captured while he was poaching chickens. They also had a tapir that had been separated from its mother. The butterfly farm is located on the river in a neighboring village and like everything else in this area, can be reached by boat.

yellow feber

by Arc86

I would ask also another doctor for advise.
My mother got yellow fever after months of traveling in Latin America. She went to a local hospital and recovered after several months.

I think there are two stadiums. Only 20 to 30% of people who get yellow feber die. If you don't cover it can come to this second stadium which is a lot more dangerous.

Kissing cheeks

by KrystalRose

When I arrived in Peru, I was greeted with a hug and kiss on my cheek. At first I was a little surprised, but then I was told by the lady I was staying with, that it was the normal greeting in Peru.
So when you go to Peru, be expecting a hug and a Kiss. That is how they say hello. :)

Quick drying clothes a must!

by Texas_Phil

Bring lightweight, light-colored, quick-drying clothes. You will sweat and sweat and sweat in Iquitos. Taking 2-3 showers a day (or more) is normal, but keep in mind that everyone is the same so being sweaty is normal. I wouldn't even think about wearing jeans unless they are VERY lightweight. Any extra Cipro to fight off intestinal bacteria might be helpful. I understand it is very chearp to purchase in Iquitos, though. It did the trick for me on one trip. Humidity is not a big problem in the city, but it did affect the operation of one of my lenses when in the jungle. A wide angle lens is essential in the city and in the jungle, but a macro lens can be quite useful when traveling down the river. A telephoto isn't as useful as you might think since the jungle is rather dense and seeing very far away isn't possible. They are most useful when shooting towards the shore from a boat. I prefer my 18-200 lens which covers about almost every situation.

Belen

by KrystalRose

When I went to Belen, I was not expecting to see a lot of things that I saw. Its a hard thing to see... Just walking along the path, to visit and say hello to others. Who are not as welcoming as the people in the city of Iquitos.

We got to see a baby ant eater along the way. The people I were staying with, bent to pet it, but I didn't want to take any chances.
It was hard to walk around that day, cause it was raining the entire time in Belen.
Once we got to the bottom of the rocky stair way, the river was flooded still. We crossed over a little ditch, but I slipped and fell and cut my leg on some glass. But I stood up, even though everyone was laughing, and said " I'm ok" lol
Its amazing how something like that can change your way of thinking about others, and about different countries. It really makes us notice how great our country is, and how blessed we are.
I now have a whole new outlook on life here in America, and have more respect for the little things such as BATHROOMS that actually work. lol
And Lights that don't go out whenever they feel like it. Pure water to drink, not having to buy bottled water all the time. AC!!! lol

Belen was a great wake up call.
Made me think a lot on how lucky we are to be living in this country.

But what amazed me the most is how content they are with how their life is! How they made good with what they have, and what God has given them to work with.

Comments