On the bank of the Amazon River 50 miles north of Iquitos, Iquitos, Peru

Booking.com Hotels.com Expedia.com

• aceybee's Profile Photo

Natural Jungle Beauty from your bedroom window

It was really nice accomadation. We were with a group and they catered for us wonderfully. I have no idea what the pricing was as I was part of a group of 40, but we were on a fairly tight budget, so I don't think it would have been really expensive. We had local food, and did some treking with their guides. The room we stayed in had 4 beds. If you go there and get a chance, see if you can get a photo with the Macaw. My photos were badly exposed, but its a great experience. A fairly quiet lodge, surrounded by rainforest. Watch out for Tarantulas tho, we found one (thankfully nowhere near our room) Also make sure you cover up and have adequate insect repellant because the mozzies there can carry malaria. There is a bathroom between every two rooms and also a stair way going up to a platform on the roof where you can sit and watch the sunset or whatever- really nice. Don't leave any food you may have brought with you out, as I had a visitor during the night which can only have been very small but yet which consumed a fair portion of the travel food we'd been advised to bring for the other parts of our journey.

Unique Quality: Don't miss the hammock room!!

Directions: The Lodge has transport Available and tours and stuff

• El_Sueco's Profile Photo

Book up some days at Heliconia!

The differens in level of the river at the hotel location (one hour down the stream) is 12 meters(!). When I was there (July) the flood was going down (it had gone down 4 meters, but there were still 8 meters to go down). Low water season is July - September.
    I liked our hotel - Heliconia Amazon River Lodge, with clean and nice rooms, hammock rooms to rest, and very good food.

Unique Quality: Rustic, good food, nice people.

More about Heliconia Amazon River Lodge

Go to a Jungle Lodge

by thebeatsurrender

Iquitos is the place to book various jungle lodges, which will allow you to stay in the Amazon and see the jungle close up. There are various lodges to choose from. The more luxury choices are the Explorama lodges, which have the canopy tour and I think one of them even has a water slide. We went with the Muyuna Lodge mainly because its office was across the street from where we were drinking (right next to the main square -- most the other lodge offices are in a different part of town), and because one of the locals we were drinking with said it was pretty good. I got the feeling that Muyuna was a more... granola... lodge than others, what with the kumbaya guitars in the "lobby" cabin, the optional vegetarian fare and the big group of hippies on an ayahuasca trip. The location is excellent -- all the cabins are on a raised platform and the river comes up over the ground in the high season. No electricity, FYI -- the place is lit by lanterns an candles, and good luck keeping secrets as are the walls are basically mosquito nets. Fun fact -- I'm pretty sure that dude from Travel Sick went to the Muyuna lodge as when I saw the Peru episode I was totally like "I know that blue chair!!" My only beef was the main guide didn't really give us much information on what to do (He assumed we knew how to dress for the jungle and how to put on mud boots, etc. Then, when us city kids were all like "huh?" he went off with the two more experienced lodgers because we were too slow).

There are lots of other options, as you will see when you get to the airport as people will try to steer you toward different lodges. The further away you get, the more untouched the jungle is and the more wildlife you will see.

The lodges run about $100 a day, which is pricey, but the jungle is so awesome. Included in the price is a guide, meals and 2-3 activities a day like pirahna fishing, visiting a village, a walk through the jungle and evening wildelife spotting on the river.

Comments