Máncora Hotels

Our Members Say

• hawkhead profile photo hawkhead
  • Reviews: 115

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

El Defin Azul: Remote

Be warned, this hotel is well out of the main Mancora hub and is located on the north side of the town, in what is a developing area. Empty lots either side and across the road. About 200 yards to the beach but again, beware, the breakers are very strong and filled with rocks. the only people in the water would be a surfer, using the board to get beyond the breakers. Not recommended for those with children or weak swimmers. The accommodation consists of two 'alpine style' wooden buildings, two stories, containing four rooms in each. Very basic but the rooms are large. Shower is potentially lethal, giving off shocks - husband disconnected ours so we had cold water showers - mind you, even with the connection, the water never was hot. No screens on the windows and there are lots of mosquitos in the evening. It is clean and secure. Sheets and towels were not changed in our four day stay. Due to the location, it is difficult to find a mototaxi into the town, although when pressed, the concierge will phone for one. It is also possible to hail one going to the nearest accommodation and it will pick you up on the return trip. The Concierge could do with a lesson in helpfulness and welcoming! Not rude, merely taciturn and unhelpful. A breakfast of rolls, juice, coffee is included in the room price but a serving of eggs is S/.2 extra. There is an adult pool and a children's pool. Both were not clean. Poolside showers did not work. There is no sea view but one can hear the breakers. The whole is enclosed behind high fences with a locked gate. To gain entrance, one has to ring the bell - and hope the concierge hears. Also, bell rings loudly all over property, so with a lot of coming and going, this could be really disturbing, especially in the late evening - there was only us and another couple staying when we were there, so undue disturbance did not apply but we could see it would be a real problem. The information on the website really bears no relation to the reality.

The one good thing about this hotel is that it is far enough from Mancora so as not to be in hearing range of the clubs and bars with their constant loud music.

Internet connection was good.

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written February 4, 2014

• Marpessa profile photo Marpessa
  • Reviews: 535

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Loki del Mar: A little too crazy for me! (But still good)

When I first arrived in Máncora I stayed here. It was where friends of mine had stayed and they raved about it.

If you're only coming to Máncora for a few days and *really* want to party and are aged between 18-35... then this place is for you.

The hostel accomodation looks amazing on the outside... but on the inside could use some freshening up. I stayed in a six bed female dorm. I had a top bunk and the locker was at the end of my bunk, so to keep my belongings secure (as my friends that were here previously, one had had money stolen from his belongings) I had to pull my bags up onto the top bunk. The fitted sheet for the bed kept coming off whenever I slept and I was constantly fitting it back on. There was also dead mosquitos squished on the wall (I cleaned these off myself). The room had a balcony and its own ensuite which was always clean and the water hot.

The music from the hostel would go until 1-2am, very loudly. So if you were out enjoying it, that was fine, if you were trying to sleep - good luck! (especially on karaoke night!) You also had the clubs near by on the beach blasting their music until 3am or so. The staff members I met were nice and helpful.

Also there is a movie room - which is great if you want escape the party lifestyle for a bit... just don't sit on the mattresses in the movie room.

Some excellent things about Loki is that they are right on the beach, that they are tight on security and who comes in and out of the hostel. They also have activities every day (morning, noon and night) for you to join in if you want to (eg, texas hold 'em poker, beach soccer, beer pong tournament, dress up parties, trivia nights, pool volleyball...) - plenty of opportunities to mix and make new friends.

They have a pool table, ping pong table, giant jenga and giant connect four. A large TV showing the latest sports, big pool, hammocks, sun lounges and free breakfast (jam and rolls, tea and coffee).

They also have a menu to order food - the food was really good, but I thought for the prices the portions were a little small.

Overall I did like it here - but a weeks stay was too long for me at Loki (like I said, if you want to party - you'll love it here) - that's why after a week I moved to Kokopelli, it was more my style and I ended up working at the bar there (despite working at Kokopelli I have tried to keep my reviews for Loki and Kokopelli as honest as possible).

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Work Abroad
  • Written January 18, 2012

Visually stunning hostel...

• Marpessa profile photo Marpessa
  • Reviews: 535

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Kokopelli Máncora: Crazy, chill, fun!

Firsty I need to inform you that after being a guest at this hostel for a week I then worked at the bar here for five weeks ('volunteer' trade of work for accomodation and other benefits) - but I will still try to give an honest opinion about the place.

My first week in Máncora I stayed at the Loki hostel, but it was a little too loud and crazy for me there and a friend of mine suggested Kokopelli.

The week I was a guest here made me want to stay in the town another five weeks! The staff are very friendly (most with an excellent knowledge of English) and can help you with bus travels, renting surfboards (tips on places to surf) and suggestions of places to eat or go out.

During the day it's a very chill and relaxed place and at night there's always a great vibe at the bar.

All the rooms come with ensuite and are spacious (with big pullout lockers underneath the beds)... there sometimes has been an issue with hot water (which seemed to be fixed just before I left) - but due to the temperature of Máncora I didn't see this as a big issue. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are cleaned daily (the cleaning ladies are very nice and I managed to have a couple of conversations with them in my broken Spanish).

There is a decent size pool that has a table and bar stools in it. Ping pong table, foosball table, giant jenga, movies and sporting events shown on the TV at the bar, free internet/wi-fi (only two computers though - but guests seemed to be respectful of others waiting), sun lounges and hammocks by the pool.

While Kokopelli doesn't have the activity 'structure' of Loki - they regularly organise ping pong tournaments, live music acts (local and from other countries in South America) and other games to get guests involved. It's a great place to meet people!

A bonus I would say is that with their free breakfast they do the usual rolls and jam option (with tea and coffee) but also make scrambled eggs - definitely a nice change! (First in, best dressed)

The only two things I can say would make the place better would be kitchen facilities for guests (the hostel has its own kitchen and you can order some really great meals, but can't cook for yourself) and if the area around the pool had more plants or 'green' - just to make it feel a little more like an oasis.

• Related to: Women's Travel, Work Abroad, Backpacking
  • Written January 11, 2012
Tip Photo

Guests watching the Rugby World Cup.

• carlson69 profile photo carlson69
  • Reviews: 2

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mancora Beach Bungalows: Mancora Beach

I stayed in this hotel last year for three nights. What an excellent place. The water in the ocean was kind of cold but the pool was OK. The food was great , I love peruvian seafood. I stuffed myself for three days. The girl who worked in the restaruant was very nice and sweet. The rooms were clean and nice hamack with a view of the beach. Every evening I would fall a sleep while hearing the waves.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Horse Riding
  • Written October 5, 2010

• ValbyDK profile photo ValbyDK
  • Reviews: 797

Hotel Casa de Playa: Beautiful, quiet and peaceful

Hotel Casa de Playa is located a couple of kilometres outside Mancora, not far from the fishing pier. The room was nothing special; built up by concrete, bunk-bed, no air-condition, no TV, no mini-bar, no phone… but hot water, a nice balcony with a hammock, and the sound of the waves lulling you to sleep every night... The surroundings were fantastic… Great sand beach, lots of beach chairs (free of charge), a small swimming pool, and shady places under palm trees or tree shelters... There was a bar/lounge area and a very good restaurant. Their specialty was seafood cuisine, but also some typical Peruvian and international dishes... Breakfast (warm bread, jam and optional egg) was served at the terrace in front of the restaurant, fantastic settings with the ocean only 25 meters away....The staff was very friendly and helpful, but only the hotel owner spoke English. She helped us with transfer to/from the airport in Tumbes, and by arranging a day trip to Ecuador... Great place to relax, and I would love to stay there again...

• Opinion of Price: N/A
  • Written April 23, 2010

Hotel Casa de Playa, just outside Mancora

• cholley profile photo cholley
  • Reviews: 12

La Posada: Quiet and off the road

La Posada is well off the road, meaning after drinking and dancing at the Bar Rojo, you have somewhere quiet to retreat to. The hotel staff is usually wandering around, so you have to track them down or just grab what you need from behind the desk. The rooms are cosy and clean, we paid S./20 per person for a double room. There's a nice pool, hammocks, and they serve breakfast, although we didn't try it.

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written October 1, 2007

• Prinsalsita profile photo Prinsalsita
  • Reviews: 88

Playa Bonita Hotel: Nice beachfront property, a little further down

All the beach properties, hotels , bungalows were full and as we searched one by one in the beach strip we finally came to almost the furthest most part of the road and Playa Bonita had space.

the price was 150 usd per night per room ( the room had a bunk bead and a queen size bed) and only included breakfast (the cheapest for the new year week)
even if i would have been solo the cost would have been 150 since it was super high season

I wished I had booked in advance!

the hotel has the following ammenities

Excellent beach front (I think the cleanest and softest sand ) virtually virgin :)

a medium size pool and a small pool for children
restaurant with beach view
laundry facility
telephone in the room
hot water (although it is not need it )
basically it could be considered a 3 or 4 star hotel
The reception and the service were very courtious and provided great service

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Beaches, Family Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written January 16, 2005

Playa bonita hostal

• chancay profile photo chancay
  • Reviews: 1049

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Caballito del mar: Hotel with pool next to the mar

Nice Hotel with 6 or 8 rooms round the pool and some more up the hill. Try to get one near the pool. Normally all the day hot water, sometimes in the morning they got problems with it. Clean and nice rooms.
No television. Prices around 10 US$ a night for a double room.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average