Maria Angola Inn

More about Puno

Women's chullpaWomen's chullpa

Chullpas the SillustaniChullpas the Sillustani

Puno CathedralPuno Cathedral

View from the open platformView from the open platform

Puno Bus Arrival & Island Boat Departure

by JoyZ

If I arrive at Puno on a day bus from Cusco, arriving about 3-4 pm, is it possible to catch a boat to the islands for an overnight stay? Or do I have to stay overnight in Puno & catch a morning boat?

I greatly appreciate your insider's information.

by risse73

I believe most boats leave early in the morning en route to the islands. I'm uncertain if there are later departures. See what others have to say about this inquiry. Goodluck & enjoy Puno/Lago Titicaca!

by adelinemmc

Agreed with the above. As far as I know all departures were in the morning.

by kzapanta

most organized, tourist geared tours are in the morning. But if it was me, I would go down to the harbor/dock (not hard to find) and just talk with the people there and ask one of the captains/owners if you could hire them.

by Billfernandez

IT IS IMPOSSIBLE WHAT U SAY BECAUSE IT IS FORBIDDEN.
ANY BOUT LEAVES IN THE AFTERNOON TO TAQUILE OR AMANTANI ISLAND.
U CAN VISIT ONLY THE UROS ISLANDS.
BYEEE. AND GOOD LUCK

Travel Tips for Puno

Small shops

by SirRichard

Traditional shops are organized in Puno by groups. I mean, all the shoemakers are close, all the printing houses are near and so on.
Being a graphic designer, I liked specially the "advertising and signs" shops, like the one in this pic. I love those old traditional signs, now almost gorgotten in Europe with all this computerised things...

Local farm

by ValbyDK

We visited 'Chullpas the Sillustani' (read my other tips) on a guided tour, and on the way back to Puno, our guide asked if we wanted to visit a local farm. Along the road from the burial towers to the city, we passed a few farms, and now we stopped at one for a short visit.

We were welcomed by the farmer's wife and her daughter and they showed us around their small farm. We saw the llamas, cows, guinea pigs, and learnt about the different kinds of crops they are growing. The wife served a boiled potato with homemade cheese for us – it tasted absolutely fantastic!

The visit ended with a demonstration of how llama wool is processed and woven into various textiles. Very interesting. It was free to visit the farm, but a tip was appreciated - or you can buy some of their homemade textiles.

Kings of the Colla

by GoogleGuru

On the road from Juliaca to Puno, there is a turn-off to see the burial tombs of the Colla people at Sillustani.

These tombs were created as the final resting areas for the chieftain of the Colla people. These tombs evolved from simple burial chambers in the ground, to towers where the chieftain, and sometimes his servants were buried.

If just arriving from Lima to Puno - be careful of the difference in elevation - the hike around Sillustani, although not strenous, may be difficult, depending on how the altitude is affecting you - take your time

GO AROUND

by marcelo15

When we get at Uros island we had the chance to take a totora`s boat to get to another small island. This experience is unique because it was my first time that i was on this kind of boats.
What`s more i had the chance to talk with the man who row the boat, and he was definitely awesome and really friendly person...

Take a trip to Islas los Uros

by schlumpf

Once in Puno, you gotta rent a sheep or take part to an organized excursion that will take you to the island of Los Uros and Isla Taquile.

Reguaridng Isla Taquile, take a look on the other tip.

Isla Los Uros is a floating island where people just leave in armony with the lake...

Is pretty cool whatch how do they leave, altough right now, is starting to become a tourist trap, indeed the inabitants are trying to sell you stuff....

Tourism, tourism...in this case is so bad!

Comments