No 119 Street Alabado, San Blas, Cusco, Peru

Booking.com AMOMA.com

• cium's Profile Photo

Excellent in many levels

We had originally made reservations at Hostal Marani and arrived there late at night. But, we weren't very satisfied with their accommodations. It was very cold in the room and in order to get heat you had to pay extra and we did not like that aspect of the place. It's not a bad place, just not what we had in mind. So, early the next morning we set out to find another place to stay. This was last September and I was traveling with my six month old daughter. We were looking for a comfortable place, safe, and with heat. We also didn't want to spend a lot of money and were trying to spend around US$35 a night (which is what Hostal Marani was charging us) or a bit more for better accommodations. Well, we stumbled upon this hotel which I was already familiar with. I have been to Cuzco about 6 times and a few years ago I lived there while learning Quechua and doing research, this hotel is right near where I used to live, so I used to pass it on a daily basis and always seemed so nice to me. I even had a few friends visit me while living there and had booked this place for them and everyone had loved it. It is located in one of my favorite areas of the city of Cuzco anyway (San Blas), and it is very convenient to the Plaza and most areas in the city center. So, I told my partner to give it a try even though I was pretty sure it would be a lot more than what we wanted to spend. Well, we went in and the published rates were US$80 with breakfast for two people. So, we said no thank you. But, they did not let us leave without asking us how much we could pay. After negotiating, seeing a few of the rooms, learning that they had brand new baby cribs and bedding, and getting them to bring the rate down to US$50 with all taxes and breakfast included we decided it was well worth it. They even said that on our last day there we could stay in our rooms until 7pm at no extra charge. Our bus was leaving at 9pm so they said we could enjoy the room for the entire day without paying anything extra. This was amazing and what made us say YES, we will stay. Prior to this, I had stayed in many hostels some costing as little as 10 soles a night and others up to US $35 a night, so this was certainly a splurge for me but figured since I was now traveling with a baby, I had to act like a mom and not be too adventurous on where we were sleeping. Besides I wanted my baby to sleep in a crib and their cribs are nicer than what my baby had at home (hahahaha). My poor gypsy baby has slept in more hotels than at home (home is where her parents are at this point). Anyway, this is a nice place comparable to four star hotels you will find in the States.

Unique Quality: The people that work here are really nice and go the extra mile for you. The hotel is also very nice, they offer all day coca leaf tea, their breakfast is very good and have two computers with free internet. You also have a beautiful view from this hotel. The location is also perfect. I'd recommend it with no hesitations to anyone wanting to stay in a beautiful place but don't want to pay a lot. This is a three star hotels that acts like a four star hotel. There are other comparable hotels in Cusco but are so much more expensive and I don't think as nice. Their showers have good pressure and have very hot weather 24/7.

Directions: Cars can't get to where the hotel is since it is located on a hill, so you have to go up a few steps to reach the hotel but don't worry, the staff will help you carry up all your stuff.

Comments