Jr. Recoleta s/n, Cuzco, Urubamba, Sacred Valley, Peru
Orbitz.com Expedia.com Travelocity

Costs 47% more than similarly rated 3 star hotels

More about Cuzco

Perfect stone cuttingsPerfect stone cuttings

JumpingVZ-PAM by VTer OH_DK, Cuzco, PeruJumpingVZ-PAM by VTer OH_DK, Cuzco, Peru

Front of the placeFront of the place

The bus is middle right side- see it?The bus is middle right side- see it?

Cusco -> La Paz

by robbo15

Hi,

I'm currently in Cusco and looking to get direct to La Paz. I know you can fly but this is a bit too expensive so I was going to take a bus. You can get direct buses - I think they take about 12 hours but they go overnight (leave at 10pm) and all the books advise against overnight buses. Also, some of the guidebooks report of robberies on this route.

I was wondering if anyone has done this route before or has any knowledge of how safe/dangerous a direct Cusco->La Paz bus is? Any other ideas of how to get there?

Cheers.

by kzapanta

Yes have done it. Overnight is most common. Lots of different bus companies to choose from from the bus station.

As to your other question of "how safe/dangerous". I guess that question is always based on your perception and ability. I can see how guidebooks have said it has robberies. Most places have robberies.
Are you going to get robbed? Yes that depends on the factors of location and people but the biggest factor is the person in the situation.

We had a blast and was a nap in the park for us. I'm sure others have had an uncomfortable experience. For those who see it as 'dangerous' that is why there is the plane.

by Ellie14

Hey,

my boyfriend and me did the trip a few weeks ago.
We took the overnightbus and had all our money and documents and expensive things directly at our body. So nothing happend to us. And we even slept good... ;=)
We did it with Litoral and they went directly to La Paz and we paid about 70 Soles.
But if you take care on your stuff, than nothing should happen to you...

by gusss

Its not dangerous at all (last time I did it was 2005) I used to do my visa rubs to Bolivia. However as alway I recomend you DONT just get an expensive tourist bus with only gringos on board - get a bus that local people use and theres lesslikely to be a hijacking (I only ever heard of one hijacking in that part of Peru and that was a bus which only took tourists) - of course keep an eye on your stuff - most theft in Peru is opportunistic and buses are bad for it.

by PR18

we took the Litoral company overnight and direct to la paz
it was all safe and if you carry your stuff near your body then i think nothing will happen....

Travel Tips for Cuzco

Information office

by flynboxes

In Cuzco it seemed like every 10 feet into a hostal or a restaurant. How they all stay in business is beyond me. With so much to choose from step into the Information office on Av El Sol which is a 2 min walk from Plaza de Armas. Tell them your price range and they can will point out a few good places in your range. We wanted to take a day trip and they gave us the names of three tour operators. The one we used charged us $10 for the day less lunch. The cab driver that brought us into town from the airport wanted $50 for the tour of us in a private car. That is cheap for the day but it did not cover lunch or the entrance price to some of the sites.

Cuzco Tourist Pass

by skatzcatz

To access a number of inca sites around Cuzco purchase a Tourist Pass fgrom one of the local suppliers within Cuzco. Access to the following is included"
Museo de Arte y Monasterio de Santa Catalina
Pisac
Ollantaytambo
Tipon
Pikillacta

As an example my tour plan

by orangetree28

We had agreed with Patricia at the cuzco airport.
Generally I dont prefer travel agents but If you dont know Spanish, it is a must.
She will supply all our transfers
and made a programme with her
1- day half day city tour at 1330 pm, Main Square, Cathedral, Korikancha(Temple of the Sun), Tambomachay, Puca Pucara, Sacsayhuman by a guide
2- Cuzco-Macchi Picchu, with a guide by Inca rail , we visit Macchi Pichhu, begis at 0530am
3-Tourist Bus to Puno, at 0700am. Visiting historical places, churches and museums by a guide and an open buffet lunch. Arriving to Puno 1600pm
4-tour in titikaka at 0630 am, A two day excursion boat visiting floating islands and the uros
and staying on a local house in Amanati(an island in Titikaka)

this tour included all accomodation in Hostal Monarca and Puno ,transfers, transportation and entrance fees plus guides
per person 260usd

patricia also speaks English fluently and very clear about the subjects and friendly

patriciacq@hotmail.com

her tlf is 9732619/9992300

Read "Deep Rivers"

by jadedmuse

Note: I know I included this in my Macchu Picchu section, but I thought it was important enough to share it again!

a.k.a. "Aguas Profundas" by Peru's own Jose Maria Arguedas. I don't know how well this book translates into English, or any other language for that matter. If at all possible it should be read in Spanish since the author writes using Quechua syntax with Spanish grammar...it's an unusual combination. Arguedas is considered to be one of the most respected and important authors in Latin America. His story "Deep Rivers" is ultimately tragic, and really parallels Arguedas' own life. "Deep Rivers" is so named, because it's a story about a boy growing up in Peru, who never really fits into society due to his strange (albeit happy) upbringing by Quechua servants and the Indian culture that he loves so much. Arguedas himself never fully integrated into the Spanish speaking mainstream, continuously haunted by his own rather isolated childhood and the Quechua language which he embraced and loved so much thanks to the Indian servants who watched over him as he grew up. Anyone who is interested in Latin America - especially Peru -and the indigenous Andean cultures that are simultaneously disdained and exploited by what we consider to be our more "evolved" society, should read this book.

I'm still haunted by it.

Arguedas committed suicide in 1969.

Monument to Cusco´s Founders

by ThiagoRamos

This is a monument to the founders of Cusco, located at Avenida del Sol (which connects the train station to Plaza de Armas).

The legend says that the city was founded by Manco Capac (the legendary first inca leader) and his wife Mama Ocllo after God Sun has revealed them the site after a long pilgrimage through the Sacred Valley.

Historians and archeologists, however, point to a slow and organic occupation of the site during the XI and XII Centuries.

There are not many tourists around here, but it didn´t seem a dangerous place to me.

Comments