La Recompensa

Booking.com Travelocity Tingo.com

Satisfaction Poor

More about Colonia del Sacramento

a cold daya cold day

A gate (Puerto) in Colonia de Sacramento, UruguayA gate (Puerto) in Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay

Old house on Calle de los SuspirosOld house on Calle de los Suspiros

Ruth outside CandelaRuth outside Candela

Transportation Colonia to Four Seasons

by tamsenw

We would like to arrive in Colonia and spend a few hours having lunch and seeing the town before heading to the Four Seasons. Does anyone know of transportation options for doing this on our time?

Re: Transportation Colonia to Four Seasons

by puppis

You will have taxis to get there.

Re: Transportation Colonia to Four Seasons

by rafscab

Well, from Colonia to Four Seasons hotel in Carmelo is a long way for a taxi: 70 kms.
However, somebody staying at the most exclusive hotel in south america shouldn't bother about how much will cost that taxi...
I don't know if there is any shuttle service to the hotel but certainly there is public transportation to Carmelo and Nueva Palmira from Colonia bus terminal.
Enjoy,

Rafa

PD- I visited Four Seasons Hotel 2 weeks ago and it's amazing. Good for you!

Travel Tips for Colonia del Sacramento

Spanish to help you get along:-

by mvtouring

Cheap Barato
Expensive Caro
Today Hoy
Tomorrow Manana
How much Quanto cuesta …..?

Getting there was half the battle

by b1bob

Since Alex suggested the idea of taking a day trip to Uruguay, I was all for the idea. You never hear anything out of Uruguay- like you never hear from Andorra, Liechtenstein, and Luxembourg. I became more in favour of the idea when Alex said he thought he could get a price of under $50 A POP (each). The $36 deal included the ferry ride and lunch at a restaurant in Colonia, but on drinks, we were on our own steam.

27 December came up and I felt like I was dragged through a knot hole- twice. I didn't sleep worth shucks the previous night due to the cold. Summer colds are harder to SHAKE (get rid of) than Amway salesmen, revenuers, and I.R.S. agents. I felt about as much like going to Uruguay that morning as I felt like pushing a peanut all the way there with my (stopped up) nose. However, the tickets were non-refundable and non-transferrable, so I needed to be in hospital to get out of this trip although I thought that might be where I would end up if I pressed on. Before leaving, I had misplaced my watch and I would not have gone without it because it was an important tool to have on a day trip for obvious reasons. It turned up behind on Alex's computer desk.

We went to the harbour to check in early and pass through immigration. An Argentine and a Uruguayan agent sat side by side stamping for passengers ready to board the Eladia Isabel. The ferry was scheduled to leave at 9.15, but was delayed and didn't shove off until 9.48. The 3-hour cruise across the Río de la Plata was crowded. Finding a seat was like trying to find a flea in a grain silo. Alex wanted to catch some sun on the deck. With my cold and without my sun block, I didn't want any part of that, so Alex and I agreed on a place to meet if we didn't see each other before we made port. I met an American guy on board named Hernan who studied in New York. He was the first American I met since passing through customs at Rio de Janeiro more than a week earlier. We made port at 1.00 spot on.

Portuguese heritage

by acemj

Colonia del Sacramento was settle by the Portuguese in 1680 and evidence of their presence can still be seen today in some of the architecture and artifacts located in the historic center. If you've ever been to Portugal (or Spain, for that matter), then you are familiar with azulejos (painted tiles). This one is a map of Colonia's historic district.

There's a Museo del Azulejo on Calle Misiones de los Tapes.

Uruguayan wine

by acemj

We decided to drink a bottle of wine over our meal (sleep well on the bus, Andrea?). I had never tried Uruguayan wine, but Andrea assured me it was good, so we gave it a try. I was really pleasantly surprised and impressed with the wine and it complemented our parrilla lunch very well.

The top grape in Uruguayan wine making is called the tannat and I can now attest that it was really good.

Shoes!

by andal13

Remeber Colonia del Sacramento has charming narrow streets of cobble stones, so forget your stilettos and put your most comfortable shoes on!

Recuerden, Colonia del Sacramento tiene unas encantadoras callejuelas de adoquines, así que olviden sus tacos de aguja y pónganse sus zapatos más cómodos! Bring TWO cameras, if you do not want to suffer what I am suffering now!

Traigan DOS cámaras de fotos, si no quieren sufrir lo que yo estoy sufriendo ahora!

Comments