Piriápolis Hotels

• ines2003 profile photo ines2003
  • Reviews: 393

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hostal La Casona: good hostal

is probably average for this low price in Piriápolis – less than US$40 a night for a double. The owner was very pleasant and we had some nice conversations in Spanish, although she also speaks English.

about 2 blocks from the beach; quiet; cable TV had decent program selection. There isn’t a lot to do in Piriápolis at night besides dinner and movies, so I appreciated the TV. The hotel is within walking distance of the bus station, a supermarket, and nearly all of the restaurants.

Minuses: small hot water heater meant short showers; room had seen better days; breakfast was pretty minimal, even by Uruguayan standards. Also, I had a head cold until the morning I checked out, so it was only then that I realized the mattress smelled of urine.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Work Abroad, Backpacking, Budget Travel
  • Written May 24, 2013

• barryg23 profile photo barryg23
  • Reviews: 2896

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Albergue Anton Grassi

We arrived in Piriapolis without a hotel reservation but there was no need for one as it was not the beach season and most hotels very quiet. The very helpful tourist office pointed us towards Albergue Anton Grassi which had the cheapest rooms in town.

This is one of the largest hostels I've ever stayed in, with over 270 beds. Most of the rooms were dorms though there were a few doubles too. We chose the cheapest double which cost 350 pesos between us.

The hostel had a kitchen, courtyard and pool room and it was good value, especially in comparison to the other hotels in town. However, we were the only guests for both the nights we stayed there - which felt a little spooky in such a big place.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written February 14, 2009

Courtyard in the hostel

• kyoub profile photo kyoub
  • Reviews: 2221

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Apartment: Sea View

I emailed someone about an apartment rental that I seen on the internet. That apartment was not available but he said he had a friend that might have one. After a couple of emails we were all set. A new apartment with a balcony facing the sea. The owner spoke english so that was a big plus.
Apartment has kitchen, dining table, and second bed combo with fireplace. Bedroom, dressing area with sink, large closet in hallway, and bathroom with shower.

Great view from the balcony of the setting sun.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written April 16, 2008

Balcony

• Chiil profile photo Chiil
  • Reviews: 26

2 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Wiener Haus Hotel: Good hotel up until checkout...

The stay was excellent, breakfast included. The hotel seemed to cater to older retired couples, hence the rooms were more like a single room, with a large queen size bed occcupying it. Air conditioning and clean bathrooms made the stay worthwhile.

However, I was supposed to be there until either Thursday or Friday, was not entirely decisive about the departure date since I wanted to visit Punta del Este. The owner agreed to pencil me in until Friday, which is the only reason I agreed to leave my other hotel and stay there.

When I returned Thursday morning after staying at my cousins rented apartment, since they didn't want me walking back alone at night. I found all my belonging were no longer in the room. I found that they had rented the room to someone else and that I had until 3pm to collect my items.

I didn't make a stink about it just because I could stay with my cousins, they had an extra bed in their rented apartment. The lady then had the nerve to give me her business card as if I would stay there again. I guess I would have been pissed if I was there alone and had no place to stay. I'm not sure how difficult it is to find a nice hotel a day before the weekend, when everyone from Montevideo drives down.

Excellent room service, clean bathrooms. Showers have a divider, meaning run-off water does not drain into the middle of the bathroom. I hate that!!! haha. The water drains where it should, in the shower drain. Mini-fridge to put items as well.

I found some of the cheaper hotels (13 bucks a night) are basically just a bed and bathroom. Not entirely nice, but if you want to relax in your room after spending a day at the beach, I suggest to splurge for a little more expensive room.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average
  • Related to: Backpacking
  • Written January 29, 2005

• markus64 profile photo markus64
  • Reviews: 6

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Colon: The cutest place in Piriapolis

A very cosy place, a kind of villa with a turret and oriels, nicely decorated with paintings by local artists and other colorful stuff. Some rooms have tiny balcons going out to the beach. The management consists of friendly relaxed young people- the general atmoshpere is very homely and informal. Breakfast is allright, with a good selection of cakes and cookies.

There is a heated pool, but you don't really need it, because the sea is only a few meters away.
The architecture and decoration make it unique- at least in Piriapolis.

• Opinion of Price: about average