Hotel Aramaya

Booking.com Travelocity Venere.com

Satisfaction No Data

Costs 81% more and rated 42% lower than other 2 star hotels

More about Montevideo

Parrillada – Parrillada - Restaurant La CharretteParrillada – Parrillada - Restaurant La Charrette

Mercado del PuertoMercado del Puerto

Ciudad ViejaCiudad Vieja

Admiral Graf Spree MonumentAdmiral Graf Spree Monument

Rambla alone at night

by bkq

Any suggestions for a 45 year old male who will be visiting Montevideo alone, staying in Pocitos, and will probably be walking along the Rambla alone quite a bit, even late at night?

Re: Rambla alone at night

by Ramonq

Pocito is one of the more upmarket areas of Montevideo and there is a wide esplanade along the coast with heavy traffic on the avenue. I have walked down this footpath day and night (before midnight) as my hotel was located nearby and never felt threatened. Lots of joggers during the day and it's actually very pleasant.

Re: Safe from what...

by akken

crime? Almost certainly. Other hazards - not necessarily. Stay out of dark streets or sections of sidewalk in Uruguay. There are two hazards there: unmarked and unguarded holes, ditches, puddles and tree roots; the second, more an assault on one's dignity but worth noting, is that not all Uruguayan dogs have devoted owners, following them everywhere ready to scoop treasures. What you can't see, you can't avoid.

s

Re: Rambla alone at night

by rafscab

Hi,

The best thing you can do, have a nice walk in a warm summer night. Don't be afraid, you'll find many people doing the same. As in any other place around the world take care of yourself using just common sense.
Enjoy,

Rafa

Travel Tips for Montevideo

Coming Home...

by Carlitos_NYC

To answer my own questions in previous posts, I found Montevideo to be very
safe. My first impressions of my neighborhood were skeptical, but I quickly
realized this is a safe area. In fact, I felt quite comfortable wherever I went,
and I walked in almost every area, even in some slum areas. Even late at night I
walked some streets I was warned to avoid, no problem. I guess there is always a
potential for crime as in any area, but non was encountered. I stayed at the
Apart/Hotel Bremen located in the Palermo section of the city close to the
Barrio Sur area. The owner and staff were very accommodating and knowledgeable.
They also run a German style restaurant that is very good and has live
entertainment.

I found a pocket map made by "Eureka". I purchased both the pocket version and
the fold out version. The pocket version has all the bus routes , which turned
out to be a quite useful, although you may need a portable electron microscope
to read some of it, well worth the 99 pesos.

Public phones are okay when using a phone card, but I found it better to just
use an Antel phone store, there was very little delay when calling home ( U.S. )
and there were no wasted minutes as with a calling card. The price was exactly
the same as well.

Overall I found Montevideo to be quite nice. I almost walked the entire City.
The people were friendly, the food was good and plentiful. Although I may be a
bit biased, having been born there. The Ciudad Vieja is very cool. I spent most
of my free nights roaming that area. There are lots of stray dogs walking about, but they
never bother anybody. In fact I saw a German Shepard cross a busy 4 lane highway
like an expert, better than most humans.

I?ll definitely be back
Carlos

Here is photo link http://www.pbase.com/zallakab1/montevideo_uruguay My fondest memory of my visit to Montevideo would have to be seeing my Aunt ,Uncles & first cousins for the first time since I was 3 years old. ( I was 45 during my visit. ) Seeing the hospital where I was born, and walking by my parents first house. I should have made this trip 25 years ago!

Candombe

by Shakermaker

Candombe is a type of music that was invented in Uruguay by the local black people.
It is played almost on every neighbourhood and its really catchy. I recommend you to go and see some candome on te streets of the city. You can go to the Malvin town (Concepcion del Uruguay St. and Rambla) and listen to the local "Gozadera" every Sunday morning or Saturday in the afternoon.

"Hacer rambla"

by andal13

"Hacer rambla" ("to make sea front") is one of the most popular customs of Montevidean people, especially during spring and summertime. Everybody is there, walking, running, riding bicylces, walking the baby or the dog, having sunbaths, talking, drinking mate, watching, being watched... Of course, people and interests changes along the day.

"Hacer rambla" es una de las costumbres más populares de los montevideanos, especialmente durante los meses de primavera y verano. Todo el mundo está allí, caminando, corriendo, andando en bicicleta, paseando el bebé o el perro, tomando sol, conversando, tomando mate, mirando, siendo mirado... Por supuesto, la gente y los intereses varían a lo largo del día.

Surf

by Shakermaker

Surf can be practiced in Montevideo. It may not be the best place but if you like surf and come to Montevideo you can practice the sport.
Here's a link to a local surf shop. (it has an english version)

Girls... get your nails done!

by Hexepatty

When waiting for my concert to begin I walked down the 18 de Julio Blvd and got a really nice Manicure and Pedicure for less than $15.00. And it was really professional and well done. You need to go to LILIANS! Very Nice!

Comments