La Rochelle Hotel

AMOMA.com

Satisfaction No Data

No Satisfaction or Value Data Available

More about Montevideo

Ruth gets ready for the journeyRuth gets ready for the journey

Museo RománticoMuseo Romántico

The cathedralThe cathedral

Plaza IndependenciaPlaza Independencia

Cheap accommodation

by sabrina_florida

Hello everyone! I'm thinking of visiting 2 or 3 beaches in Uruguay this summer: La Paloma, La Pedrera and one more, but I can't find any cheap accommodation. I'm thinking 35 dollars tops for a double room with bathroom.

Can anyone help me? :)

Re: Cheap accommodation

by rafscab

Hi,

Check this: http://www.rochainfo.com/casas.html
You can find hotels and houses to rent. I think you could rent a house for that money.
If you need a suggestion about some other places near La Paloma and La Pedrera, I 'd recommend Aguas Dulces and/or Punta del Diablo. In fact, I had a house in Aguas Dulces (sold this year), so I really know all those places.
There's another website: www.aguasdulcesnet.com with info about Aguas Dulces, accomodation, etc.
Good luck and enjoy, you've made a good choice with those places.
Regards,

Rafa

Travel Tips for Montevideo

out of control Mate consumption

by ericdharma

I have lived in Buenos Aires for almost a year now and I thought that Portenos were crazy for their mate but they don't hold a candle to Uruguayans. I still can't totally get ready for mate on the beach though. It's already blazing hot out there in the afternoon and everyone is sipping on there hot mate. That's ok because that means that they left all of the cold Sprite for me.

December

by andal13

December is not only the last month of the year; for us, is THE month... Everybody knows there are three marked days during December: Christmas Eve (Nochebuena that means "Good Night"), Christmas (Navidad) and New Year's Eve (Fin de Año, that means "End of the Year"). It does not matter if a person is a christian or not; everybody fetes, because we must give off the year. During December, we have several parties with friends, fellow workers, relatives, neighbours... just to say "good bye" to the old year, and wish a better new one. All this means that we have three or five or ten parties (usually at a bar or at a restaurant) where we eat and drink as if that was the end of the world.
If we are still alive at December 24th, we have the dinner of Nochebuena with our family (that means parents, sisters, brothers, husband or wife, children, grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, mother-in-law, whoever); it never begins before 10 PM, and it usually starts with few appetizers (potato chips, olives, cheese, peanuts, salami, sandwiches, pizza, etc...) with some beer, whisky, wine, vermouth or even a soda; then, it comes the real dinner: roast (or pork or turkey or chicken) with salads, and finally, the desserts (fruit salad, icecream, them both...) But it is Christmas' time, so we must have walnuts, hazelnuts, pudding, turrones... and champagne, of course!!! At 12 o'clock, we go out to see the fireworks, to kiss everybody and to wish "¡Feliz Navidad!", and the children go to look for the presents that Papá Noel leaves under the tree. After all, we go to bed, or do the washing-up, or go to a dicotheque!!!
If you feel like a pig, do not mind!!! Tomorrow (actually, today) is Christmas, so we have Christmas' lunch!!!!
And, next week... New Year's Eve dinner, and New Year's lunch!!!!!
Oh... I forgot... all this happens during summertime!!!

Soccer (Football)

by realde14

Soccer is by far the most important spectator sports in Uruguay. When you have the chance you should go and check out a game at the Centenario, which is a monument in the history of world soccer and where the first World Cup was held in 1930. Uruguay won the WorldCup and again in 1950 against Brazil. Ever since people in Uruguay think of these good old times with melancholic nostalgia. Nowadays, the Celeste, the national team of Uruguay, is still a very good, but far away from winning a WorldCup again.

The picture was taken from the World Cup qualifier Uruguay-Argentina on Oct 12, a game which Uruguay won 1:0, keeping their hopes for qualification alive

Indulge me.. .just one more!

by Hexepatty

And the other side of the table: the mother and daughter... looking at the boys like they are nuts... When I finished with about 10 photos in total... i got the family's email address. I will send them the photos. They were fun to shoot! Very Nice!

Take the bus... nah!

by Chiil

Figured I'd stick this picture here. I personally didn't take the bus, and heard stories about people getting robbed on the buses. But don't let that scare you, every city has it's stories, including Chicago!

Comments