Marti Apart Hotel

ericdharma's Profile Photo

Marti - a hidden treasure

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2007

I was having such a great time in Montevideo that I decided to stay an extra day. I was upset to learn that there was no room available at the Punta Trouville when I was making the decision. They told me to wait until the next morning and see if there might be some cancellations. I panicked and had an image of myself wandering the streets with all of my stuff begging someone to take me in (or at least watch my bags while I went to the beach to catch some rays). I went ahead and called the Marti and they were able to book me for one night. It was a little bit pricier than the Punta as they were asking for about 75USD but I agreed and after doublechecking the address on a map went walking with my things towards the Hotel because it was only 4 blocks away. I was happy as I dragged myself into the spacious lobby. Again I was met by a baggage handler who had no intention of helping me with my bags. He watched as I dragged them towards the elevator myself. Baggage people in Montevideo must just hang around for encouragement and moral support sort of like a personal trainer. I made it to the room and was happy to see that the room was clean and big. I didn't get the executive and I can only image how big that room would be judging from the size of mine. There was a full kitchen with all of the necessary utensils provided. They also had a mini-bar with some extremely over priced snacks (prices listed in dollars is always a bad sign in South America). They had full cable TV and WiFi Internet connections on every floor (including a computer in the lobby with free Internet access for those without laptops. Breakfast was included for the price and consisted of scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, 2 choices of juice, crepes, fruit salad, croissants, and coffee.

Unique Quality: I really enjoyed dining in the rooftop glass enclosed breakfast room. On one side you get a view of the ocean and it is a great way to start the day. The front desk staff was really helpful when I was having a problem getting an airport signal on my floor. They sent up a guy with the Uruguayan know-how to smack it the right way in order to get it to work again. One last thing. Uruguayan cab drivers do not seem to be as familiar with the aparthotels in Pocitos as they are with the large tourist hotels downtown so make sure that you have the exact address with you when you arrive and if you leave the hotel make sure that you grab a map and some stationary with the address on it from the front desk so that if you get lost you can catch a cab back to the hotel.

Directions: from the Rambla Republica del Peru cooming from downtown take a left on Avenida Brasil then a right on avenida Pedro F Berro or 26 de Marzo (all streets one way) then make another right on Jose Marti.

ericdharma's Profile Photo

Stylish gem tucked away on a quiet back street.

Best (5.0 of 5.0 stars)
by written on January 12, 2007

First there are the surface things. The lobby is stylish and the girls working at the front desk range from cute to gorgeous and let's not kid ourselves. This is always a good thing. My biggest complaint is that the baggage person didn't help me with my bags to the room. I had my guitar, a huge heavy bag, and the reception had loaded me up with three keys (front door, safe, and another that I couldn't find a use for) and two remote comtrols (one for the T.V. and one for the air conditioner). This guy sees that I'm having a hard time making it up the short flight of stairs to the elevator so he helps me by grabbing THE REMOTES. I told him to be careful not to throw his back out. I made up to the room with a sprained wrist and aching shoulder but the pain quickly disipated when I see that the room lives up to the pics on the website. Check the place out at http://www.puntatrouville.com.uy/index2.html. There is a nice kitchen with a full size fridge. The bathroom is not a closet and is clean with a bidet. The only problem is that there is no tub. It is a shower set up but with good water pressure. For those of you who have traveled extensively through Latin America this room is not your typical mid-level accomodation. It's a step up from that. The rate I was quoted was the high season rate of 48USD per night with breakfast included. Breakfast consisted of 4 choices of pastries, cake, 6 fruit juices, toast, coffee, and fresh fruit. The breakfast was so good that I really loaded up and usually skipped lunch. They have an Internet cafe with two computers. The connection is listed as high speed but is more like medium-slow by US standards. The plus side is that it is free and they have a connection avaliable for your laptop which seemed to be a little faster for some reason.

Unique Quality: A few tips for staying here would be to try and speak Spanish even if your Spanish is really sad. They can speak English but your attempts will be appreciated. Especially for an American realize that this is a time where many people in the world are not so happy with us. Also read the literature that they have in the room about Hotel policies. This is something that I neglected to do and as a result I kept leaving with my key when they would prefer that you leave it at the front desk. The purpose of this is so that the maid will know when you are out so that she can clean the room. This happens in most places down here but I think that I was just in such a hurry to get to that nice beach that I neglected to do it. Definately take the time for a nice stroll down the beach at night. The weather at this time is more perfect than you can imagine and people are out on the beach until about 1030 or 11PM most nights. They have a penthouse solarium with a great view of the city and I didn't discover it until my last 5 minutes of staying there. Lastly, Pocitos is an amazing neighborhood, and safe as well. Get a map and wander around. You may realize that in a lot of instances you don't need a cab. I walked from Pocitos to La Ciudad Viejo and back one day with no problem (warning - this will take you through some sketchy areas but it is an interesting walk).

Directions: You will need a cab from the Buquebus ferry port. The ride is about 15 to 20 minutes with no traffic.

Nearby Marti Apart Hotel

• Continental Breakfast
  • Suites
  • Free High Speed Internet

Montevideo Travel Forum

Need advice about Montevideo, Uruguay? Visit the Travel Forum for Montevideo and ask our Answer Gurus.

Latest Montevideo hotel reviews

By Plane
El Callejón
Eat Some Steak in a Unique Setting
Things to Do
Port a place of entry for the cruise
Things to Do
Market a place where everyone goes
Things to Do
Constitution Plaza, a tree filled quiet space
Things to Do
Tiers of boxes make an interesting music hall
Things to Do
Square surrounded by interesting buildings
Take the Ferry from Buenos Aires
maronas entretenimiento
Local Customs
best pasta
Restaurants
Finally a restaurant that knows how to cook Fish
Peatonal Sarandí - The walk of fame
Why so expensive Ferry to Montevideo
Camino de Charles Darwin
Great delicatessen and confectionery
To/from Buenos Aires by plane
Transportation
Good food in fantastic old house!
Montevideo - Ciudad Vieja - Robbery
Warnings and Dangers
Montevideo Uruguay, street crime.
Warning - Beach Walk/Barrio Sur