Salto Hotels

• barryg23 profile photo barryg23
  • Reviews: 2896

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel el Jardin

Hotel el Jardin was 100 pesos cheaper than our first hotel, Hotel Concordia, so we moved here after the first night. It's located further away from the main square, towards the river but still in easy walking distance of the centre. Though it doesn't have as much character as Concordia, I think this is a better place to stay. The TV reception was better, the bathrooms were nicer and the guy running the place was very friendly. Every time we pass reception he was watching sport and he´s the first Uruguayan I´ve met who was following the rugby world cup (and he said he was cheering for Ireland against Argentina!) The only negative I can think of is breakfast wasn't included, especially as there weren't too many cafes in Salto.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written September 30, 2007

• barryg23 profile photo barryg23
  • Reviews: 2896

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Concordia

Hotel Concordia is one of the oldest hotels in Uruguay and judging from how old some of the furniture it must look pretty much the same today as it did when it opened. The famous tango singer Carlos Gardel stayed here once and the room he stayed in is now something of a tourist attraction, which you can visit even if you don't stay here.

There aren't too many hotels in Salto and this was the only one mentioned in our guide book which hadn´t shut down, so we stayed here on our first night after an evening arrival. The price was a little about our budget at 27 USD, but breakfast was included and it was nice to stay somewhere with a bit of character and history for a change after 3 weeks of hostels. Having said that, the rooms could be improved a bit, especially the bathrooms.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Written September 30, 2007
Tip Photo

Carlos Gardel cutout

• cybergenic profile photo cybergenic
  • Reviews: 220

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hotel Dayman: The heart of the Termas

This Hotel is situated 15 minutes from the Salto Central city. It was very clean and warm.

They were asking US$27 per night but after a few seconds of grovelling they went down to US$20

Even though this was still expensive for me, I was exhausted and it looked comfy so I took it.

I later discovered that the US$20 covered breakfast and unlimited entry to the Dayman hot springs. So it was a pleasent surprise.

The Hotel Dayman is located directly opposite the Dayman Termas (Hot Springs)

The rooms have nice beds. Cable TV. Aircon. Heating. Bar Fridge. Telephone. Nice bathroom.

• Opinion of Price: about average