GRAN MELIA CARACAS

Avenida Casanova, Urb. Bellomonte, Sabana Grande, Caracas, Central Venezuela, 1050, Venezuela

Gran Melia Caracas Hotel
Hotels.com Orbitz.com Travelocity

Satisfaction Poor

Similarly priced and rated as other 5 star hotels

• SallyM's Profile Photo

Good, but not as good as it thinks it is

This luxury hotel makes much of its inclusion in the 'Leading Hotels of the World' brochure. It's certainly not a bad hotel, but although it has a swanky lobby and five restaurants, I'm not convinced that it is really up to that standard.

Our room was reasonably spacious, comfortable and well-decorated, but I have had even better rooms in some four star hotels. There was no mini-bar, only two bottles of mineral water, priced at 20 and 24 bolivars respectively (c. $7). The bathroom had an adequate supply of toiletries, but the controls on the bath and shower were difficult to operate, leaving me stranded under a stream of scalding water which I couldn't turn off.

In order to get room service, we had to go down to reception and pay a deposit, which rather negates the point of 'room' service.

Other reviews have mentioned that the hotel is located in an area (Sabana Grande) which is unsafe at night. We ended up having to walk a block or so to the hotel at around 8.30 p.m. when the car that was bringing us from the airport broke down. At that time of night it didn't appear too bad - there were quite a few people hanging out at restaurants - though we also saw a prostitute on a street corner.

Unique Quality: The breakfast buffet had an incredible range of items. In addition to the usual cereals, fruit, eggs, sausages, ham, cold meats, bread and pastries there were things like miso soup and 'mediterranean chicken'. But it ought to be good - it was included in the cost of our package, but had we had to pay for it, the charge was over $50.

Directions: Sabana Grande

• Aeroquilter's Profile Photo

Dangerous Location

This is a great big, beautiful hotel with all the amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel. The problem is safety. The area that the Gran Melia is in was once a clean, beautiful area where people shopped and played chess outdoors. It is now a somewhat dangerous area of town where you really are better off if you "dress down", do not carry a purse or a camera or other valuables, and do not ever let down your guard. Yes, you can still go there and be perfectly safe doing so....but you never want to forget your surroundings or flaunt wealth.
    The location limits things a bit because you really cannot walk from the hotel to any place--it isn't safe. You will have to get your car brought to you each time and drive.

Unique Quality: Wonderful Tapas bar in the hotel with Flamenco dancing shows.

Directions: Sabana Grande

• carolinaEspada's Profile Photo

Terrible sorroundings...

This is a 5 ***** hotel with all the facilities, restaurants, night life, everything you can think of, located (just one block away) in one of the most filthy, scary, dangerous and horrible avenues: huge boulevard of Sabana Grande. (Please check my warning pages and read all about the "buhoneros").

I would certanly arrive to this hotel only if I could stay inside all the time or come and leave on a taxi. NO WALKING AROUND in the streets near by.

Unique Quality: It has everything and I have been told they are great. I feel very sorry for the owners of the Meliá. When they builted it, the Sabana Grande was a huge, clean, beautiful boulevard full of cafés and shops. Not with our new governement who has promoted the "informal economy" and the streets are a nightmare (and smell horrible as well). Please go check the "buhoneros" issue in the dangers in Caracas.

Too bad.
    Great hotel.

Directions: One block away from Boulevard de Sabana Grande full of buhoneros. Beware!

• Liloo's Profile Photo

Nice, but expensive

Melia Caracas is a very nice hotel, it features a nice gym too with an indoor pool. No extra fee for guests. Rooms are spacious and comfortable. There is a surcharge for the broadband internet. In compare with the Embassy Suites in the same city where it is free, and food can be a bit pricey, a salmon sandwich, a cheese plate and a coke USD59,00 :-\ . Taxis out of the hotel are pricey too. Minimum charge is about 6.00USD which is a bit over venezuelan standards.

Unique Quality: Take your breakfast in the terrace, nice weather, or lunch in the pool. As I said before, gym is great. It is next to a mall so if you need something is just a few steps away. Complete set of in room amenities if you are traveling on business you'd find it useful. Jacuzzi tub.

More about GRAN MELIA CARACAS

The Best Choice in Caracas

by tarda about GRAN MELIA CARACAS

The ambiance was perfect; at the entrance of the hotel there are a very nice lobby at the right hand side, a very good place to get relaxed. Near by that there is a bar which I liked a lot. Behind that there is a piano and a huge lobby. When you enter you feel that it is a special place. I am aware it is not right to say that without seeing all the other hotels, I am sure there are some other very nice hotels like ALBA but what I say is based on how I feel.
Rooms are big, and bathroom is good too. Nearby the hotel there is a shopping center where you may go there directly from the entrance of the hotel.
They have airport transportation also but it is a little bit expensive if you exchange your money at the offical rate. The ambiance, and the location of the hotel.

Bored/trapped... Something to do in Caracas- tonight?

by uptimejeff

I'm a very seasoned traveler....

Last night, I ended up in Caracas unexpectedly. Staying at the Gran Melia Caracas Hotel for 2 more nights.

This is my first visit to Venezuela.
I'm here alone and frankly just bored. I usually travel with friends.
Went to the hotel bar, nobody interesting to meet.

My spanish isn't great, but I can get by.
Concerned with safety of course, because I'm traveling alone, so I sorta feel trapped in the hotel with nothing to do.

I'm a social person, want to go out dining, drinking and scoializing... but am trapped.

Any suggestions?
Looking for somewhere safe to go tonight and the next night.
Any bars where english speaking people might meet?
Can't stay in this hotel room for days!

Last resort, I'll take the concierge's suggestion and will probably hire a driver for the night, I just don't know if I'm safe out on my own.

Thanks
Jeff

Re: Bored/trapped... Something to do in Caracas- tonight?

by ezaguryk

Hi jeff

i live in caracas.........

You can go to san ignacio comercial center, there are a lot bars and nice places it is very safe and FUN!!!!!

For the new years night....in Plaza altamira will be a meeting, a lot of person will go to celebrate will be music........... I will be in a dinner with family maybe we can cach each other there after 12

During the day you can go to the hatilo....nice place to walk safe.

how did you ended up in Caracas????? ja ja ja with no plans

About safety i will recomend you can take line taxis to go to any place at night

see you