Hilton Caracas

More about Caracas

Parque Nacional El ÁvilaParque Nacional El Ávila

Concejo Municipal - MuseumConcejo Municipal - Museum

Universidad Central de VenezuelaUniversidad Central de Venezuela

The airport in caracasThe airport in caracas

from caracas to bogota with bus..??

by nagoli

hello everybody,i will be in caracas in august and i would like to travel in the capital of colombia,bogota.can anyone inform me some good autobuses companies and advice me about this trip(if someone have done it..).i know that will be a bit dificult but its more cheaper,although the dangerous that maybe have..!also,i have heard for colective taxis..is a good idea..??thank you very much..:D

Re: from caracas to bogota with bus..??

by nhoolb

Yes, flights between Caracas and Bogotá/Medellin are extremely expensive, ridiculous, for an hour and a half (max) airtime. However, you might find more economical fares when there. It all has to do with, I assume, the currency restrictions by Mr. Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and not much competition on that route.

By bus you might have to go first to Barranquilla or Cúcuta (in Colombia) and then change to a bus to Bogotá.

I have knowledge of the following bus companies but never travelled with them.

However, as an afterthought: you could check with the Colombian airline AIRES, they fly Maracaibo-Bogotá.

www.aires.aero

Or take the bus Caracas to Cúcuta (border Colombia/Venezuela) and then fly Cúcuta to Bogotá with Aires, Avianca or AeroRepublica (approx USD 50 one way).

Also: check the Colombia travel forum-I remember that there have been postings by/about members having experienced this route by bus.

Check it out. Good luck.

Travel Tips for Caracas

VT-meeting in Caracas

by travelife

What to say, this is the first time I practically thanked VT that it exists and that we meet people from the area and if you are lucky you may also be offered a guided and motorized tour of the city. I was lucky too that Kelly was taking a break for few weeks from her busy life. Thanks Kelly for a wonderful tour.

STAND WHEN THEY PLAY THE...

by pjallittle

STAND WHEN THEY PLAY THE NATIONAL ANTHEM OF VENEZUELA

This is silly but it happened this way. We were on a cruise and the laundry had broken a zipper. They told me that if I bought a zipper, gave me the length, that they would replace it.

So when we got to downtown Caracas, I saw a store that sold sewing supplies but my Spanish was sorely lacking. A beautiful Venezuelan lass waited on me. I did my best, even drawing a picture, trying to get it across to her that I wanted to buy a zipper.

Finally, I reached down and quickly zipped down and right back up again. She jumped back, OH SENOR, then it immediately dawned on her. First she was red with embarassment and then went into uncontrollable laughter, she stepped over to a shelf, got down a box of zippers and made the sale. She exclaimed, 'OH SENOR!'

How can you forget an experience like that?

Tourist Service

by travelife

There is no official and very limited tourist service, i.e. no city tour service or so. It might be dangerous because the transport may some under attack with the writing tourist/ tour! But the government does have a plan to introduce city tour in 2006 with security. I doubt how well it will work.

VISAS and more

by cheesecake17

Visas: US nationals, Canadians, Australians, New Zealanders, UK nationals, South Africans and most Western and Scandinavian Europeans do not require a visa if they fly directly to Venezuela.

All foreigners entering Venezuela by land require a valid visa; get one before you leave for South America.

Health risks: Cholera, dengue fever, hepatitis, malaria, yellow fever

Time: GMT/UTC minus 4 hours (minus 5 hours in summer)
Electricity: 110V, 60 Hz
Weights & measures: Metric

All about the Benjamins

by Meztli81

Before I left, I had heard people say take American dollars, because the black market will exchange them at a much better rate than the official at the airport, but I decided against it, being scared that being robbed might leave me short of alot of money if I carried it on me and imagining the "black market" to be shady individuals on dark street corners. I ended up just taking atm cards but I ended up regretting it. Everybody, and I mean everybody, from hotel clerks to taxi drivers to soda vendors are willing to trade you dollars for more bolivares then I got out of the atm (not to mention the fees I was charged). My friend who took 500 American and traded it through black market kept joking on how much less she was spending than me with our different exchanges. I admit - it is a risk if you're stolen from, so you'll have to weigh that, but considering my experience I'd do it the next time I'm there. Also, careful you don't get too many bolivares you're not going to use because it's hard to trade them back for dollars.

Comments