Hotel Paseo Las Mercedes

SHOPPING
There are FOUR main...

by travel_man

SHOPPING
There are FOUR main shopping areas in caracas,thay are( LA SABANA GRANDE DISTRICT; THE CENTRO COMERCIAL CHACAITO,AND THE TRI LEVEL CONCRESA the largest in caracas) The fourth is paseo las mercedes. Some of the best buys are leather anything from ladies shoes toys gold and handicrafts. Stores are open from 9am to7pm, but are closed from noon to 3pm for afternoon break. the shopping the city in general.

Going to the movies!!!

by carolinaEspada

We like cinema. We love going to the movies. We get to see almost all of the films (specially those that come directly from Hollywood). But we also get to see French, Italian, Spanish, Indian, Canadian, Norweyian, etc. etc. etc. films. We are really lucky! We have "movie festivals" that last for a week or more: The Spanish (from Spain) week, The Swedish week, The Belgian week, etc.

My mother refuses to see a Hollywood movie. She only likes masterpieces-art films like: "Babette's Feast", "Death in Venice"; "Cinema Paradiso"; "Estación Central" (brasilian film with actress Fernanda Montenegro nominated as Best Actress in the Oscar Ceremony... award that was given to Gwyneth Paltrow, for "Shakespeare in love"; "The Music Teacher" ; "The Piano" (with Holly Hunter); "Chocolat"; "Amelie"; "Delicatessen"; "Bleu"; "Blanc", "Rouge"; "Mon Uncle"; "Rashomon"; "The seven samurais" (the original by Kurosawa); "Mediterráneo"; "Profumo di donna" (the original one); "Zorba"; "The Red Balloon"; "Le Roi Dance", "Las noches de Cabiria" and anything filmed by Fellini... and very recently: "Italian Mambo" (from Canada), in which we laughed so hard that we ended up crying.

Do you want so see a film while staying in Caracas? There are movie theaters in all of the big shopping malls: The Sambil, the San Ignacio, the CCCT, the Concresa, the Humboldt, the Lido, the Plaza Las Américas, the Centro Plaza, the Paseo Las Mercedes, etc.etc.etc...

The movie theatre "Cine La Previsora" only shows art films and is not on a mall.

On the newspaper: "El Nacional" you can see all of the movie adds, specially on Friday, Saturday and Sunday (several pages, big pictures)...

In the photo is my friend Juan Pacheco with Pedro Almodóvar, one of the most famous movie directors of Spain... and of Europe... and of the world. Antonio Banderas started his career under Almodóvar's direction. I liked much more Antonio Banderas back then.

Fine leather shoes: ZAPATOS!!!

by carolinaEspada about Thousand zapaterías!!! = shoe stores!!!

New VTfriend, Alan (ATUFFT) reminded me to do a tip on venezuelan leather shoes. He is absolutely right. Our leather shoes (for ladies, gentlemen and children) are trully great. Why? Because -thanks to the early XX century inmigration- we inherited the italian shoemaking ART and tradition. FORZA ITALIA!!! And... GRAZIE ITALIA!!!

Let me copy-paste a bit of Alan's email:

(...) "please research the leather shoes shopping a little more before you write.
Whenever we go down to the many many little stores in the area of the
Congressional buildings, I look for good deals on men's leather soled shoes.
But, the best quality at a great price does take some time. Even so, I've
bought pairs of shoes that rival the best Italian shoes at a fraction of the
cost. I also know that women's shoes come in a fantastic variety although the
good leather shoes are sometimes mixed in with the factory made plastic and
vinyl versions sold at the stores where the Venezuelan kids are more to hang
out.

AlanVt" There are soooooo many malls in Caracas: Sambil, CCCT, Concresa, Paseo Las Mercedes, El Recreo, Centro Plaza, Centro Comercial Chacaíto, Boleíta Center...and many many many more. In all of those you can find hundreds of "zapaterías", shoe stores. All kind of shoes, styles, colors, "fashions", traditionals or not, etc... and if you change your $$$ or your Euros in bolívares, all of these trully fine leather shoes are really unexpensive...for you (not for us, venezuelans).

And there are still a couple of places where they make the shoe specially for you, a "shoemaker-made-shoe". But Ive never been to one of those shoe boutiques/ateliers, because Im sure I could not afford it.

All of the leather shoes Ive bougth in my life are either venezuelan made or italian made.

When I go to USA I buy what we call: "rubber shoes = zapatos de goma", meaning by that: tennis shoes, reeboks, sport shoes, running shoes, etc.

But FINE leather shoes, either in Venezuela or in Italy. I dont know... tons -TONS- of bolívares... not too many $$$ nor Euros. You should ask new VTfriend, Alan (ATUFFT).

Vacation Rental: HOUSE or APARTMENT

by tfs

Who We Are: Eight young professionals guys (mostly doctors) with extensive travel experience in South America.

What We Seek: A House or a couple apartments to rent for our annual vacation in early April 2007.

Apartment rental seems quite difficult in Caracas. Is the same true for housing? We will find a hotel as a last resort, but we typically prefer the comfort and convenience of a house or apartment. We appreciate any and all advice.

Terry

by atufft

Go to VT member carolinaEspada whose a resident there and ask her this question. There are apartments and they will be expensive, but security is an issue there, and coming and going from a swanky hotel isn't so safe in Caracas. Good luck.

by luis.ydler

Renting houses or apartments is somewhat difficult nowadays anywhere in Venezuela. Costs are either high or low depending on which location you're in. Caracas is major city; consequently, nice, safe areas are expensive. Though, eight young professional guys won't find it quite hard to get a house as soon as they find it. Finding help before you arrive is a good idea. Contacting local rent agencies, checking local newspapers such as El Nacional or El Universal might also help.

hey guys
check www.porlapuerta.com
www.tuinmueble.com

by tfs1911

Thank you for all your advice. We will be shortening our trip to spend more time at Margarita. We are shooting for Hotel Paseo Las Mercedes or Altamira Continental at this point. Thanks!

RE: RE: Vacation Rental: HOUSE or APARTMENT

Your welcom dude
Some of the foreigners i have met stayed in hotel paseo las mercedes and its a nice one, kinda quiet but in a safe place and kinda in the middle of the city, probably you will enjoy it
im dentistry student and im most of the time at uni but if you guys need help, let me know

RE: RE: Vacation Rental: HOUSE or APARTMENT

Your welcome dude
see ya

solo female traveller in caracas-para compadres june 12-16?

by jayeesha

hi, i'm going to be in venezuela from june 12-16 by myself to get a taste of caracas (and maybe even the diablos de las danzantes festival) while i am there...only thing is i am travelling solo and a little concerned about being a solo lady...looking for some chill, laid back yet adventurous, friendly travel buddies while i am in town. please write if you are interested in enjoying the caraqueno experience with me!

RE: solo female traveller in caracas-para compadres june 12-16?

by Airboy

you will have fun, dont worry
just be careful at nights mostly and the places you visit.
any help you need in caracas, let me know
jota840@hotmail.com
take care

RE: solo female traveller in caracas-para compadres june 12-16?

by Esimpo

Hi, I'm also a solo female traveller and am going to be in Venezuela (unfortunately I'll just miss you, I'm there on the 19th). I'm afraid I can't help you with your prob, but I was wandering if you know where you're staying if you're going to be in Caracas. I was told Altamira was the safest area, but you have to pay for a double room even if there's only one of you. If you've heard anything about safe places, could you let me know please?(elliesimpson3@hotmail.com). I hope you meet some other travellers, thanks, Ellie

RE: RE: solo female traveller in caracas-para compadres june 12-16?

hey ellie
sorry i live here in caracas, but i have not idea about what you said of altamira, but sure its a relative safe area, there are also some others nice hotels, like melia caracas, eurobuilding, hotel paseo las mercedes and hotel lido. if you need some specific help i will be glad to help you. im currently helping my french dude living in caracas and his friend visiting him right now.
take care

RE: RE: solo female traveller in caracas-para compadres june 12-16?

by luis.ydler

Up until nopw, you may have already arrived and left town. But even late, I'd like to comment: don't be worried, solo ladies are taken care of by people here, specially if they know you're not local. Just don't act fool and blend in; enjoy people, enjoy natura, and follow fellow's advices on dangerous spots. Should you want to know some more places in the country, let me know: carioca_@hotmail.com ... I live two hours from capital city.

Luis Ydler

Hotels Near CCS

by changito_loco

Due to the closure of the road to La Guaira, I might need to drive to Valencia to fly to CCS a day early, so I can catch my flight to Miami on January 8, 2006. Can anyone recommend a safe and clean hotel near CCS?

Thanks,

Glen

RE: Hotels Near CCS

hey dude.
are you looking for one in ccs or near ccs?
if you need one in ccs then i would say "paseo las mercedes", "melia caracas" or "j.w. marriot".

RE: Hotels Near CCS

by Warao

Hola,
For anyone else who wants to find a place to stay near the airport (CCS) check out this web site of the "Simon Bolivar" airport.
David