4.5 out of 5 stars4.5 Stars

Hotelsclick.com

Costs 26% more than similarly rated 4.5 star hotels

More about Laguna Mar

laguna mar

I visited laguna mar resort with 5 other persons from 31st july to 5th august. I must admit the resort is beautiful. I would recommend it and would certainly return again. Everything seen in pictures of the resort were exactly the same as when you saw it for yourself. The rooms were comfortable and large and were cleaned everyday. The staff were quite friendly, though apart from the reception area most spoke little to no english. The FOOD, oh lord, was great. We ate non stop, I think half the time until we were sick. The restaurants were cozy, but must admit the mexican restaurant gave you more food than the italian. The pools were clean and always warm so you didnt have to take 10 minutes trying to get into ice cold water. The shuttle service between the two towers were efficient. We stayed at the South Tower which was closer to all facilities rather than the North which was a bit lonely, yet safe.
CASINO: If you do not have any idea about board games or slot machines and do not speak spanish... hummm. Save yourself the frustartion because no one in there spoke english to any great deal to explain the card games.
TRANSPORT: There is a sign saying that there is a shuttle service carrying you to porlamar for 5000 Bs round trip per person. Well from what we saw, that was a lie. If you ahd to take a taxi into town, it was averagely 8000 - 10 000 Bs ( 4 - 5 us ) one way whether there was 1 or 4 people in the taxi. So have your money for transportation.
SHOPPING: The boulevard - Plaza Boulevard was excellent. had some great deals. but spend the time walking the entire area since it is a huge area, looking for the best deals. Rattan Plaza had some good stuff also though more expensive than the boulevard. Sambil Mall is expensive.
MONEY EXCHANGE: The hotels and banks convert at the lowest rate at the time being 2140 Bs. The stores within the hotel 2200 - 2300 Bs. The best thing i suggest is to have US currency in $20 or $50's and when you go to the Boulevard go into stores and ask them how much Bs they would give you for 1US. The average amount was 2400 - 2500 Bs which would help you out a bit. Some stores may not be able to change 100 US unless you buy something and they give you the change in Bs. Also if you need more money and send it via western Union, they will not give you the money in US dollars but will conver it for you at the lowest rate ie 2140 Bs. Better to carry more money than to play cheap. BE AWARE OF PEOPLE ON THE STREET GIVING YOU MORE BOLIVARS FOR YOUR US, WE WERE ROBBED.

Great Time In Laguna Mar

I went for a holiday in Laguna Mar last August 25- 28, 2005 with my husband and two children aged 6 & 8. We really enjoyed our stay in this hotel. The service was good and the food was excellent. The hotel is so conducive for children & I would highly recommend this for a family planning for a get away. We had an island tour with Mr. Marcos Ochoa. He's a very good and honest man. With his personalized service we felt at home in Margarita. I considered our tour as the highlight of our vacation. The island itself is so lovely. We do plan to go back for another holiday if given the chance.

Great Time at Lagunamar

by TripAdvisor Member beachgoinger1

We just got back from Lagunamar and had an great time. There is always so much going on that in 5 days there we did not have enough time to take advantage of all that was going on. The beach was wonderful. The staff does a great job keeping it clean. There are great cabanas that you can sit under for some shade. The ocean is has a lot of waves, but they are relatively small and fun to play in. There are lifeguards on duty that are very diligent. The grounds are very nicely kept up and we saw people cleaning the pools every morning. We did not do the all inclusive, but rather the bed and breakfast option, and had a great breakfast every day. Pretty much anything you want for breakfast they had, including made to order eggs, pancakes, and waffles. The rooms were nice, especially the junior suites. The bathrooms in the rooms are very dated and could use being redone. THe resort was in the middle of redoing the rooms, so this may be taken care of as we speak. The staff was vrey curteous and we were always able to find someone to speak English, as our spanish isn't very good. Lagunamar also is in close proximatey to Pampatar and Porlamar which offer great dining options for dinner.

Relaxing with 2 Brilliant weeks!!!

Believe me I read review and review on this hotel and destination before we travelled on 29 september 2005, and there were pretty much mixed reviews until we came to the british ones. Some of them did't rate the hotel at all and were telling us to eat that the local Mcdonlalds down the road, so we were really unsure before we headed off. But none off this is true we arrived at Porlamar Airport and was swiftly meet by our First Choice Rep (Justin) and was taken by bus to the hotel. Transfer takes about 30 Mins, not long at all.

Justin the first Choice Rep, (couldn't have asked for a nicer guy) always there to help, he always made it round every day, and made sure he talked to his guests at the hotel. Always helpful giving you any information you needed, also changed your dollars for you into bolivars.

The Hotel......

Upon arrival in the north tower you are met with a large reception with a bar, which is only open in the evenings. The check in process was over within minutes, you are given your room key, Card for clean towels every day for use around the pool and your key for the safe (none of this you have to pay for it's all free).

The rooms in the hotel were also spotless and clean, bedding and towels were changed on a daily basis, the maids were always very friendly. You have to keep the air conditioning on 24hrs a day but you will be grateful for it as when you out and about round the pool you need to cool down when you go in to change for for your afternoon nap.

There are the 9 pools in which you can use any off them. The wave pool works on about 30 Mins rotations but you can hear it start if you stop round the waterfall bar pool during the day. The pools are clean day. The slide pool is great if you have kids as they will be running up a down the steps all day, You have to try it yourself as I did (big kids really).

They have entertainment every night around the waterfall pool, one night they will do the show in Spainish then the next night the show will be in English so no one is left out. (Spanish shows are good as you will be able to understand them as they are mainly shows or films we've already seen ie (the Lion King was in Spainish but I understood everything that was going on). All the costumes are made and designed by the hotel staff.

The entertainment staff at the hotel work every long hours, they are there from 9.00Am until the show finishes at 10.30PM they are alway helpful and very friendly, they will normally come round in the afternoon for a chat, and to let you know about that evenings show. There is always some sort of activity going on all day. Ie watersports, darts, table tennis and loads more......

The resturants are fantastic.... there are three main ones you can eat in during the evening Topaz, Mexican and the Italian. Every evening in Topaz they have a different themed night with the food from that country so you will not eat the same foods twice in your stay there..... The mexican & the Italian was great, any you can go more than once in the same week, but you have to book a table from guest services the day before you want to go.

You must try the health spa great value for money I paid for two full body massages and it cost me under £23.00 for the two...

All I say is go and try it for yourself......... It's the best place I've been in a long while and I can't wait to return......

It's true this was the Caribbean Island that everyone forgets...........

Well done Laguna Mar you made my two weeks unforgetable. Best holiday ever

Hot Yet Chilled!

by TripAdvisor Member Jaybee70

Just back from two amazing weeks at Laguna Mar, and if you can't stand the heat then don't venture out here! It's Redders - and fantastic! Upon arrival at the airport, you're met by the rep Justin (if you're with First Choice) - certainly not the last time you'll see him in two weeks - must be the best and most commited rep I've EVER encountered. Doesn't need the hard sell, and seems to have the holidaymakers interests at heart. Arrival at the hotel very quick (form completed on the bus) and first impressions are that it's a lovely hotel. Up to the room, and they're adequate. Money obviously been spent on reception/bars/pool areas, but rooms could do with a bit of TLC. Saying that, they were always spotless, two very comfy beds, always hot water with plenty of pressure day and night. Plenty of TV channels in English as well as Venezuelan. Towels and bedding changed on a daily basis, though a do not disturb sign essential - maid often pitching up at seven am!!! As for bugs - never saw any. One insect bite in two weeks between us, so can't complain. Only "creatures" you seem to see are the Iguanas round the pool - no mossies, cockroaches, dinosaurs or aliens to report of!!!

Loads of trips available at the welcome meeting, but none pushed at you at all which is a welcome change, although I'm sure you'll look at several of them. We did the Jeep Safari and had George as our driver - the guy knows everything about everything! One of the best trips there and well worth doing. There were 3 Land Cruisers touring together, and they challenged us to empty the bar (never been done), but didn't manage it! If you take the trip and get George as your driver, it'll be an excellent day - just make sure you take some local coinage to throw for the kids opposite the maritime museum, as the love to dive in the sea for them - worth watching that alone!

There are 9 pools, although didn't see the wave pool working when we were there. Building work has to include the toilets by the olympic/waterfall pool, and rendering work on South Tower - all Brits were accommodated in the North Tower, so had no effect on us whatsoever. The sea was quite rough, but there are lifeguards on duty and it's a private beach, so never that busy really. Water sports on the lagoon which seems to always be like a mill pond - plenty of fish in it too! There isn't a bar as such round the North Tower pool, although the lad there works hard coming round fetching drinks for all every half hour or so - odd tip now and again appreciated, although not expected.

Three restaurants - Topaz buffet, as well as Mexican and Italian restaurants (once weekly for each of these), Salvatores (priced, but free for all-inclusive) and the beach grill. Only place you'd have to pay is the Iguana Bar on the beach. You'll meet Maggie in the Topaz restaurant - friendliest person on the island, I think! Be nice to her and she'll see you OK. Bars all good, with the lads in North Tower Lobby bar excellent - the odd tip now and again greatly appreciated - although again, not expected.

The grounds are spotless and seem to be getting cleaned / pruned day and night. It's a big resort, but there are buses running until 2am(I think) to get you round, although it's only a five minute walk from North to South Tower, Ten minutes to the beach (not recommended at 2pm!!!).

Entertainment on every night - mainly in Spanish although you do get the gist of it. Saying that, I've yet to see a show in this country not in English, so we can't knock it. The hotel is about 80% Venezuelan, with a mix of everyone else - not a bad thing though. If the locals frequent it, then it can't be bad, can it? All in all, there were about fifty Brits in our hotel, so you'll get to know pretty much all of them. Lobby bar in North Tower became the unofficial "Brit Bar" at about 5.30pm

There is also a Spa Treatment Centre there - extremely cheap. Wife had a French Manicure done there for under £2.50. Pedicure the same price, as well as aromatherapy massage for under £15 - plenty of other treatments available too.

Hope this review is helpful? We had two fantastic weeks out there and would love to have made it four - don't hesitate in booking, as you'll have a great time. Suitable for all too - great for kids, yet it's also easy to get away from them!!! Oh, tried the casino - they'll change dollars to Bolivars for you, but won't accept any notes less than $20 bills - they can't explain why though!!! Travel and enjoy!!!!!

This hotel was fabulous

My husband and I, along with our 2 kids age 11 and 6 months stayed at Lagunamar for 4 days, 3 night. We booked this on the internet. It was everything advertised. Absolutely beautiful especially at nights. The water slide was the bomb my son loved it and the pools along with the beach was all we needed. There was always an activity for the kids and really well put together nigh shows. The food was excellent and affordable. the rooms spacious and clean. It's a hotel you dont want to leave. the service was great all the staff friendly and even if you cant speak Spanish well you get by. My only problem was the airport. The departure tax is expensive and not stable. I was given 90,000.bs for an adult and 45,000. bs for my son who is 11. and at the airport it's far more than that. Everyone who was returning to Trinidad that day was rally upset with the big differnce they had to pay. We had to pay $130.00 US to get out of Margarita which i think is rediculous. That's a real damper on a great vacation.

Thanksgiving From the ocean to the Mountains

by TripAdvisor Member Munn

We felt like we died and went to heaven, I have been around the world but this was the best Vacation I ever had I felt like a Queen. The Italian restraunt was really a taste of Italy, From my bedroom I could see the Ocean, from my living room I could see the Mountains, who could ask anything more beautiful, It was really a Thanksgiving, and we were thankful to be there. The service, the people, made us feel welcomed, everyone was happy. I would add a picture of the splended beauty, but I dont know how to do so, I am new on a computer, but my discription says it all. Heaven on Earth.

Heaven on Earth

I visited the La guna Mar Hotel in May 2005, with my husband and 2yr old son. The experience was wonderful. The service offered on the compound was excellent. My highlight was the Kid's Club. They have a host of activities for the kids from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Also, the Kid's Club included brightly coloured animal slides which my son enjoy tremendously.

Amazing Vacation

by TripAdvisor Member Bernie_Wong

Just got back and can't wait to go again. 5 Families, 29 people, seven days of pure bliss. We took the all inclusive package. Lots of food and drinks to choose from. Persons under 18yrs were given a yellow band. No alcohol is served to anyone with a yellow band otherwise they are fired instantly. Even at the restaurant we the parents asked the waiter to give the 16 and 17 yr olds a glass of wine but they flatly refused. This gave us the confidence to let the children roam freely at all times knowing that they will not be served any alcohol.

Breakfast is served from 7:00 am until about 11:30. Starts with American breakfast then turns to continental as it gets later. Wide variety of food from cereal, porridge, fruit, eggs, bacon, cheese, yogurt, croissants, breads etc.

Lunch is available from about 11:30 till 5:00 pm again choice of resturants and food types from Pizza, Hamburges, hot dogs, fish, chicken, beef, pork, soups, pastas, green salads, fruits etc.

Dinner starts from 7:30 pm either booking the Italian restaurant or the Mexican Resturant. There is also a la carte at the other restaurant. Italian was great. We ate mostly a la carte where we had various different foods each day. Always lots of fish and vegetables for those so inclined and of course lots of meats. Lamb, beef, pork, chicken, duck, shrimp, mussels and the list goes on and on.

Drinks are sweet but you quickly learn which ones to order to suit your taste. Margaritas, pina coladas, beer, tequila, gin, vodka you are safe with these, but try whatever you like. They will mix all cocktails also.

Entertainment - nightly concerts / plays which are very well done. There is a disco at night. Children 10 yrs and over are allowed until 12:00 am then only adults are allowed till 2:00 am. Daily water sports such as Kyaks, wind surfing, paddle boats and sailing are all included. Jet Ski and wake board is paid for seperately along with banana boat (banana boat is free between 11:00 am and 12:00 pm). Free bicycles also available.

Lots of pools with different themes and a beautiful beach. Very friendly staff most speak some level of english if not they will get someone who can understand what you need. No mosquitos. No Rain. No complaints. Children and adults all enjoyed themselves thouroughly ( ages ranged from 18 mths to 46 yrs)

The absolute best

My husband and I married in this resort and I can't fault it one bit. We took a large family of mixed age with us and it was the most perfect holiday. Hotel, food, drink, entertainment, location, amenities, beach, fellow guests, tours and service were superb and all for less than £900 all inclusive. I thoroughly recommend this resort.

Comments