Venezuela Hotels

Our Members Say

HOTEL SUBMAR-INN: TUCACAS

PROS:
- Ensuite rooms are large
- Rooms are lined on 2-storeys, motel-style
- There is a shared kitchen downstairs which is quite spacious and with ample storage space
- There is a huge courtyard
- Owner Norbert, from Germany, organises boat excursions to Parque Nacional Moroccoy

CONS:
- Tucacas is a one-street town, one side leads towards the dock and this side is busier with more restaurants, shops, nightlife. Then, the town is sliced apart by the highway. The other side away from the dock is mostly residential and this is where the hotel is. Here, things are definitely quieter... which is great, as it frees you from the harrassments of the randy locals, but can be a tad dark as you try and make your way home at night.

Room: 20,000 Bs (2005)

HOTEL CESAR: SANTA ELENA DE UAIREN

Pros:

- Homely atmosphere, nothing touristy about it... Run by elderly Antonio who is a very sweet, friendly little old man who lives there
- Large courtyard, allows you to camp on its ground (for a price) if you ask nicely
- Room is OK, quite large and clean
- Very strong fan available...

Cons:

- Cold shower

Room: 25,000 Bs (2005)

POSADA MUNDO MERIDA: MERIDA

PROS:
- I love the location which is just 200m from the Cable Car Station
- One of the cheapest options in this area, I reckon
- Private rooms, reasonably comfortable and clean
- Kitchen is quite nice, with plenty of pots and pans. Many people cook here.

CONS:
- Some rooms are in the basement and they are rather dark, with the windows opened out to the corridor. So, for privacy, most people keep the curtains drawn.

Room: 15,000 Bs (2005)

Posada Backpacker Tours, Santa Elena de Uairén

I booked a room at Posada Backpacker Tours already from home when I booked the Roraima trek to be sure to have a room when I arrived. The first two nights I stayed in a single room and coming back from Roraima I got a very big room with three beds. The rooms are colourful. There is a fan and a bathroom. When I paid via Internet the rate of the room was 10 Euro. If I had paid in Santa Elena I think the price for the first room had been 30 000 Bs (June 2007). That is less than 10 dollars if you change on the black market (but about 10 Euro if you use the official rates).

A good breakfast is included in the price. You will get scrambled eggs (or a pancake or yoghurt) and lots of bred, a juice and coffee or tea. A nice thing about this posada is the restaurant area, with tables outside, which is a good meeting point where you will meet other people going or coming back from Roraima. There are several computers you can use (I don’t remember the price) and you can store luggage here while doing the Roraima trek.

The only thing I didn’t like is that Eric (the owner ) told some people I had ran off without paying for the last night. When I arrived to Santa Elena from Ciudad Bolívar I told the man working that I had been in contact with Backpacker tours office via mail and that I had already booked and paid for the room for three nights (two before and one after the Roraima trek). When I left Santa Elena I did it very early in the morning, before anyone else was up. Waiting for the Canaima/Angel Fall tour in Ciudad Bolivar a person who had been in Santa Elena said to me that they had been told by Eric that I left without paying. I felt very bad, because I don’t want anyone to think that of me. After the Canaima/Angel Fall tour I mailed Backpacker Tours about it and Eric was told that I had paid. The damage would not have been done if there had been better communication between the office and the posada about this.

• Written October 13, 2007
Tip Photo

My second room at the posada

• IceBlu profile photo IceBlu
  • Reviews: 10

Melia

Excellent modern Hotel, the best in Caracas, with a shopping center next to it, and good subway station. Great pool, great restaurant, and well located geographically from any other place. However, the area that surrounded is very unsafe, especially in the evening.

• Opinion of Price: most expensive
  • Related to: Arts and Culture, Business Travel, Luxury Travel
  • Written September 19, 2007

Posada Turística El Gallo, Coro

Before going to Coro I had read both a good and a bad comment of Posada Turistíca El Gallo on Internet., but as it is one of the cheapest places I decided to go there to get my own opinion, and I liked it. It is a family home in a restored colonial building. The rooms are situated around a courtyard and there are some hammocks where it is very nice to relax with a book. There are no rooms with private bath but the shared bathrooms are clean. There is one kitchen for the guests to use and one for the family. By the kitchen there is a refrigerator with beer. When you take one you make a notice on a board so you now how many you shall pay for (a beer is 1500 Bs).
I paid 30 000 Bs for a single room per night.

• Written September 1, 2007
Tip Photo

View of the courtyard from my room

Hostal Colonial, Puerto Colombia

There are many posadas in Puerto Colombia, but many of them are quite expensive. Hostal Colonial is one of the most popular in the budget range. The bus from Maracay stopped just outside the hostel, and with it came other tourists as well. We all went across the road to Hostal Colonial. They didn’t have a single room so I got a double with bathroom for 50 000 Bs per night (July 2007), which they wanted me to pay in advance. I’m glad my room was facing the courtyard were it was quiet and not the street as the buses start running very early in the morning and the drivers are very keen on pressing the horn loudly.

You can buy breakfast at Hostal Colonial from 7.30 in the morning. Fruitsalad, toast and coffee was 11 000 Bs and a fresh fruit juice, scrambled eggs, toast and coffee was 10 000 Bs. The first morning I didn’t have to wait very long for breakfast, but the second it was very slow and I had to wait more than half an hour for the breakfast to appear. When I finished a family arriving at the breakfast table at the same time as me had not jet got their breakfast.

Hostal Colonial is nice and clean, but nothing special.

Puerto Colombia is a small place so Hostel Colonial is within walking distance from everything in the village. Playa Grande is about 10 - 15 minutes away.

• Written August 24, 2007

Hostal Colonial, Puerto Colombia

Hotel Mar del Plata, Maracay

The day before going to Maracay I telephoned Hotel Mar del Plata to make a reservation. They told me they only had a room for 60 000 Bs (less than 20 dollars if you have change on the black market, but 28 dollars if you have changed to the official rate). As I was only going to stay one night that was okay. The room was big with three beds (one double) and a bathroom and TV. It was worth the money to have the space to spread out on and the TV in the room for the first time in Venezuela. Towel and soap is provided.

I was glad I had bought Chinese take away at the bus terminal, because it was dark as I arrived and the street looked dark and empty and I could see no restaurants near by (going out looking for one is nothing I would like to do in a for me unfamiliar big city in Venezuela).

• Written August 24, 2007

My room at Hotel Mar del Plata

Posada Don Carlos, Ciudad Bolivar

I have stayed at Posada Don Carlos three times (all in June 2007) and I think it is a lovely place. The posada is situated in a beautiful restored mansion in the old town.
I had a room with fan and a bathroom and it was 45 000 Bs. There are no single rooms so the price is the same for one person as it is for two.
Prices are going up in Venezuela and I was told the price for the room was going up to 55 000 Bs and for the hammocks to 20 000 Bs.
There is a kitchen you can use and one computer with free Internet. There are plenty of chairs and tables in the communal area were you can have a chat with other travellers. The last time I stayed at the posada I was asked if I wanted to eat dinner at the posada. It was 20 000 Bs and very delicious. First there were soup and garlic bread and then chicken with rise, broccoli and cauliflower.

If you are leaving very early in the morning ask them the evening before to call a taxi for you. I was told to go out to get a taxi from the road by the river (I asked if it was okay and it was the woman said), but the night guide didn’t want me to go as it was still dark and dangerous. He woke up one of the girls and she called a taxi for me. The next time I asked them the evening before to call a taxi for me, but that time it was not that early. The third time it was later in the morning and no problems to walk down to the river to find a taxi.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking
  • Written August 22, 2007

Posada Don Carlos, Ciudad Bolivar

• Bogi15 profile photo Bogi15
  • Reviews: 7

Estancia La Canada: Grat stay in Merida region

Just imagine, a beautiful place, 2.500 m above the sea level, you just hear the birds and the sound of a river, the people are great, fresas con crema… that’s what this Posada is about. Worth a visit.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, Hiking and Walking, Eco-Tourism
  • Written March 29, 2007

• Bogi15 profile photo Bogi15
  • Reviews: 7

Posada Granja Los Momentos: Good place in San Felipe, Estado Yaracuy

If you plan to visit the "Parque de la exotica flora tropical", you can think of spending the night in this posada. The city was a little scary (a lot of high fences with barbwire and electricity, the were fires in the park, etc). But as soon you enter the posada you are in another world. Good taste, very cosy, all you need is there, the food was good the people were great.

Nice, park, pool, restaurant, bar.

• Opinion of Price: about average
  • Related to: Family Travel, National/State Park
  • Written March 28, 2007
Tip Photo

• iluvvene profile photo iluvvene
  • Reviews: 1

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Cafe del mar: the best place in Venezuela

Amazing is all i really nead to say. If you are not too worried about privacy stay in a hammock on the terrace. fantastic views on sunrise every morning. i got up everyday at 6am for a swim in the sea and i am NOT usually a morning person so that really says something about the beauty of this place. Very cheap and restaurant does good food. also, try the cocktail bar down the beach.

• Related to: Beaches, School Holidays, Budget Travel
  • Written January 11, 2007
Tip Photo

the view from my hammock!!!

• jorgejuansanchez profile photo jorgejuansanchez
  • Reviews: 549

5 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Posada Don Carlos: Best hostel in Ciudad Bolivar

Fantastic guest house, cheap, free internet, they arrange cheaper tours to Salto Angel, and if it is very hot you can sleep in the patio in a hammock.
Beers are cheap as well, close to the river Orinoco.
The owners are an Englishman married with a Venezuelan girl.

They give you a lot in free information about the country.

• Related to: Budget Travel, Backpacking, Adventure Travel
  • Written April 14, 2006

• elssbkeppe profile photo elssbkeppe
  • Reviews: 66

Golden Paradise: Hotel on Playa de Agua

We were not very happy about the food, chicken from Monday till Sunday. All inclusive hotel but very few choices in food and drinks.
Nice rooms, nice swimming pool
Got to hear "BOMBA" like 500 times, the bar tender only had 1 cd... haha.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average
  • Written March 25, 2006
Tip Photo

• lemondrop profile photo lemondrop
  • Reviews: 237

Campamento Canaima: A good base in Canaima..on a scenic lagoon

Camp Canaima is a large place with cabins scattered about on the grounds. The setting is very picturesque, on a beautiful lagoon fed by waterfalls (see "Canaima Lagoon" tip in my things to do section). There's a large eating area, and the food is good. Also on the grounds, is a bar, gift shops, and tour agency. It's not very cheap, at $75 per person a night, all meals included, but isn't bad considering the setting and ease of arranging your outings.

• Opinion of Price: more expensive than average