Venezuela Hotels

Our Members Say

Posada Don Carlos, Ciudad Bolivar

I have stayed at Posada Don Carlos three times (all in June 2007) and I think it is a lovely place. The posada is situated in a beautiful restored mansion in the old town.
I had a room with fan and a bathroom and it was 45 000 Bs. There are no single rooms so the price is the same for one person as it is for two.
Prices are going up in Venezuela and I was told the price for the room was going up to 55 000 Bs and for the hammocks to 20 000 Bs.
There is a kitchen you can use and one computer with free Internet. There are plenty of chairs and tables in the communal area were you can have a chat with other travellers. The last time I stayed at the posada I was asked if I wanted to eat dinner at the posada. It was 20 000 Bs and very delicious. First there were soup and garlic bread and then chicken with rise, broccoli and cauliflower.

If you are leaving very early in the morning ask them the evening before to call a taxi for you. I was told to go out to get a taxi from the road by the river (I asked if it was okay and it was the woman said), but the night guide didn’t want me to go as it was still dark and dangerous. He woke up one of the girls and she called a taxi for me. The next time I asked them the evening before to call a taxi for me, but that time it was not that early. The third time it was later in the morning and no problems to walk down to the river to find a taxi.

• Written August 22, 2007

Posada Don Carlos, Ciudad Bolivar

Hotel Mar del Plata, Maracay

The day before going to Maracay I telephoned Hotel Mar del Plata to make a reservation. They told me they only had a room for 60 000 Bs (less than 20 dollars if you have change on the black market, but 28 dollars if you have changed to the official rate). As I was only going to stay one night that was okay. The room was big with three beds (one double) and a bathroom and TV. It was worth the money to have the space to spread out on and the TV in the room for the first time in Venezuela. Towel and soap is provided.

I was glad I had bought Chinese take away at the bus terminal, because it was dark as I arrived and the street looked dark and empty and I could see no restaurants near by (going out looking for one is nothing I would like to do in a for me unfamiliar big city in Venezuela).

• Written August 24, 2007

My room at Hotel Mar del Plata

Posada Turística El Gallo, Coro

Before going to Coro I had read both a good and a bad comment of Posada Turistíca El Gallo on Internet., but as it is one of the cheapest places I decided to go there to get my own opinion, and I liked it. It is a family home in a restored colonial building. The rooms are situated around a courtyard and there are some hammocks where it is very nice to relax with a book. There are no rooms with private bath but the shared bathrooms are clean. There is one kitchen for the guests to use and one for the family. By the kitchen there is a refrigerator with beer. When you take one you make a notice on a board so you now how many you shall pay for (a beer is 1500 Bs).
I paid 30 000 Bs for a single room per night.

• Written September 1, 2007
Tip Photo

View of the courtyard from my room

Hostal Colonial, Puerto Colombia

There are many posadas in Puerto Colombia, but many of them are quite expensive. Hostal Colonial is one of the most popular in the budget range. The bus from Maracay stopped just outside the hostel, and with it came other tourists as well. We all went across the road to Hostal Colonial. They didn’t have a single room so I got a double with bathroom for 50 000 Bs per night (July 2007), which they wanted me to pay in advance. I’m glad my room was facing the courtyard were it was quiet and not the street as the buses start running very early in the morning and the drivers are very keen on pressing the horn loudly.

You can buy breakfast at Hostal Colonial from 7.30 in the morning. Fruitsalad, toast and coffee was 11 000 Bs and a fresh fruit juice, scrambled eggs, toast and coffee was 10 000 Bs. The first morning I didn’t have to wait very long for breakfast, but the second it was very slow and I had to wait more than half an hour for the breakfast to appear. When I finished a family arriving at the breakfast table at the same time as me had not jet got their breakfast.

Hostal Colonial is nice and clean, but nothing special.

Puerto Colombia is a small place so Hostel Colonial is within walking distance from everything in the village. Playa Grande is about 10 - 15 minutes away.

• Written August 24, 2007

Hostal Colonial, Puerto Colombia

Posada Backpacker Tours, Santa Elena de Uairén

I booked a room at Posada Backpacker Tours already from home when I booked the Roraima trek to be sure to have a room when I arrived. The first two nights I stayed in a single room and coming back from Roraima I got a very big room with three beds. The rooms are colourful. There is a fan and a bathroom. When I paid via Internet the rate of the room was 10 Euro. If I had paid in Santa Elena I think the price for the first room had been 30 000 Bs (June 2007). That is less than 10 dollars if you change on the black market (but about 10 Euro if you use the official rates).

A good breakfast is included in the price. You will get scrambled eggs (or a pancake or yoghurt) and lots of bred, a juice and coffee or tea. A nice thing about this posada is the restaurant area, with tables outside, which is a good meeting point where you will meet other people going or coming back from Roraima. There are several computers you can use (I don’t remember the price) and you can store luggage here while doing the Roraima trek.

The only thing I didn’t like is that Eric (the owner ) told some people I had ran off without paying for the last night. When I arrived to Santa Elena from Ciudad Bolívar I told the man working that I had been in contact with Backpacker tours office via mail and that I had already booked and paid for the room for three nights (two before and one after the Roraima trek). When I left Santa Elena I did it very early in the morning, before anyone else was up. Waiting for the Canaima/Angel Fall tour in Ciudad Bolivar a person who had been in Santa Elena said to me that they had been told by Eric that I left without paying. I felt very bad, because I don’t want anyone to think that of me. After the Canaima/Angel Fall tour I mailed Backpacker Tours about it and Eric was told that I had paid. The damage would not have been done if there had been better communication between the office and the posada about this.

• Written October 13, 2007
Tip Photo

My second room at the posada

• Luchonda profile photo Luchonda
  • Reviews: 2339

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Pipo Internacional: The best on the tour

First contact with Venezuela - at X-Mas eve,
but the night was terrible, fireworks from late pm till 7 in the morning.

The best breakfast we had, visiting this country, ..................

• Written January 6, 2005

Pico Internacional

• Luchonda profile photo Luchonda
  • Reviews: 2339

1 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Hosteria Los Guasimitos: Sabena- Venezuela's most bad experience

To be short, a SABENA syndrome - so never Such A Bad ExperieNce Again.
Lucky we used this Motel as transit station to the LLanos

Unique is the New year atmosphere - everything - even the bar was closed.
Breakfast was poor - even more poor - we had to take eggs because there was paid for ! No excuse !! - Even no other choice !

• Related to: Budget Travel
  • Written January 6, 2005

SABENA

Hotel Recidencial Colonial, San Antonio

This is a very basic hotel and I got the cheapest room, a single room for 30 Bs for one night (July 2008). The room was small with a fan (which was not necessary as it was windy from outside). There was a bathroom but no door between the room and bathroom. There was not allways water in the toilet's water reservoir so I asked for a bucket just in case I would need it. Toilet paper and soap was provided. The towel and sheets where very thin (had been washed many times) and the mattress was very old too. But it was clean!

The hotel is situated close to Plaza Bolivar.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Written July 4, 2008

My room

Euro Hotel Madrid, Maracay

When the bus arrived to Maracay it was already dark and the rain was pouring down. I didn’t have a reservation for a room and was a bit worried that the hotels were going to be full as it was weekend and holiday time. But as I was hungry I bought Chinese take away first (like last year). Then I took a taxi to Hotel Mar del Plata where I had stayed last year. It was full and I asked the taxi driver to take me to Hotel Wladimir, which was also full. They called two other hotels without luck. Back in the taxi the taxi driver took out a lot of cards and called several hotels. One problem he said was that the hotels charged by hour and therefore became very expensive. One of the hotels he called didn’t rent the rooms more than four hours. Well, finally he got me a room at a nice hotel, but expensive, near the bus station, Euro Hotel Madrid.
Euro Hotel Madrid is situated just behind the bus station (half a block), which was very convenient the next morning when I was going to Caracas. It felt like a safe place and the man in the reception was very helpful. I got a jar with cold filtered water to take to the room, and a lady who was in the reception as the same time as me came to my room to give me a piece of cake. It was a good room and I was listening to music on the TV and packing my bags for the flight back to Europe the next day when suddenly, at 22.00, a very noisy air condition was turned on. The machine was standing just outside my room. I don’t like air condition (and it was absolutely not necessary) and I want it to be quiet in the room so I went down to the reception to say that. As the air condition was a central one for almost every room on that floor I had to change room. I got a bigger room (but the light was not as good) in the end of the corridor, which had its own air condition (which I didn’t swish on).
The room was 150 000 Bs (60 dollars) for one night.

This could be a good option if you are flying out of Caracas later during the day, at least if you are two sharing the price.

• Related to: Road Trip, Backpacking
  • Written August 16, 2008

My first room

Hotel Victoria, Maracaibo

Hotel Victoria is situated in the old centre at Plaza Baralt. There was no one in the reception as I arrive and according to the front page of the guest list they were all couples renting a room only for two hours, for 30 Bs. For a whole night I paid 70 Bs for a room (August 2008).
I arrived in the afternoon and wanted to go to a travel agent, but it took some time before I could do that. I had to change room three times. In the bathrooms you must turn on the water for the room before you can open the taps. In the first bathroom the shower went on automatically and could not be turned off (and there was no cabin), in the second bathroom the flush and tap didn’t work and the third room didn’t have a key. The forth room I got was the biggest of them all and it had an extra bed. All windows (in all rooms I saw) were covered, but in the room I got there was a door that opened up to a balcony. In the rooms there is also a TV.
The woman cleaning was very nice and helpful when I changed room and she went out to ask for a travel agent. In the evening I went down to the reception to make a phone call (I wanted to call and reserve a hotel in Maracay). The man that by then was in the reception told me to go to the phones in the square, a place I didn’t want to visit in the dark alone. I said I will call tomorrow, but I should have said I could pay in the hotel to use their phone (nothing he suggested).

• Related to: Backpacking, Road Trip, Budget Travel
  • Written August 16, 2008

My room at Hotel Victoria

Posada Guamanchi Merida

Guamanchi is a quite big posada and there are many different kind of rooms. There are no single room though so I had a double with bathroom (there is hot water). It was 80 Bsf a night (June/July 2008). I really liked my room and had the same one both times I came back from trips. From the room there was a great view of the mountains and there was a hammock (wich I used a lot) outside the room and a table with chairs. Below there is a park and there can be some noice from there but it was never disturbing, and the police seems to keep it quite early.
Other rooms have shared bathroom and those rooms don´t have the view over the mountains. There is a kitchen and a terrace with tables and hammocks.
The rooms and bathrooms are clean. There was no towel in the room but I got one when I asked.
The posada is just next to Guamanchis tour office.

• Written July 4, 2008

My room

• Reviews: 758

Own tent on the beach: For cheapskates

When in Rome, do as the Romans do...
Many Venezuelans just pitch up their tents on one of the beautiful beaches.
I did this on Playa Grande near Puerto Colombia and it was great.

Best location, great views, you don't have to walk far for an early morning dip.

• Opinion of Price: least expensive
  • Related to: Backpacking, Camping, Budget Travel

Playa Grande and my tent

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Mundo Mérida: Close to the Teleférico in Mérida

Friendly posada with spartan single rooms, but very clean and modern bathrooms with hot water (not a bad idea in Mérida).
6.000 Bs for a single.

Just a two-minute walk from the highest cable car in the world.

Telef��rico (postcard)

3 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Posada Guamanchi: What a view!!!!

Located in the small village of Los Nevados (elev. 2800m) in the Andes.
Small singles with several warm blankets are 7.000 Bs including dinner.
Basic shared facilities.

What makes this posada unique is its veranda. Lazing in a hammock and looking at the incredible mountain scenery is worth all the money in the world after a long day of hiking.

Veranda

4 out of 5 starsUser Rating

Amor Patrio: Another colonial posada

Beautiful posada in the colonial heart of Ciudad Bolívar.
German owner, relaxed atmosphere.
Highly recommended.

The open-air "dorm" (3000 Bs.) offers good views and nice breezes.

• Opinion of Price: less expensive than average