El Oued Travel Guide

IN FRONT OF EL OUED MARKET
  • Things to Do

El Oued Things to Do

by Narviking Updated May 30, 2003

Just the fact that El Oued is a desert town makes the whole place interesting for me. I enjoyed going around looking at the arcitecture, how people lived etc. One thing I found special interesting was the big marked. It is especially busy on fridays.
    THE PHOTO: EL OUED MARKET.

El Oued Restaurants

by Narviking Updated May 30, 2003

There are a few restaurants in El Oued. Except from one time I had all my meals in the restaurant of Hotel Le Souf and in the homes of the guys I got friends with. At Hotel Le Souf you could also sit outside in front of the swimmingpool having cold drinks and food.
    THE PHOTO: HERE WE SIT BESIDES THE HOTELS SWIMMINGPOOL HAVING COLD DRINKS AND WAITING FOR FOOD TO BE SERVED.

El Oued Nightlife

by Narviking Written Sep 13, 2002

Nightlife in El Oued is sitting in cafes drinking tea or softdrinks and chatting. There are no bars or nightclubs as far as I could see. When I was there the guys just took a taperecorder and tea with them outside the house and sat chatting in the sand feeling the warm wind blowing. THE PHOTO: TYPICAL 'NIGHTLIFE' IN EL OUED.

El Oued Shopping

by Narviking Updated May 30, 2003

Beside shopping in the El Oued market you can also find a few nice handicraftshops in town. Rugs seems to be a popular thing to buy and I bought one of them myself. PHOTO:
    INSIDE A HANDICRAFTSHOP IN EL OUED.

What to buy: Rugs and all sort of other handicrafts.

El Oued Warnings and Dangers

by Narviking Written May 30, 2003

I never heard about any violence in El Oued but due to the present situation in Algeria I would not go there. Daily civilians are killed in the struggle between the government and islamic groups. In early 2003 several groups of european tourists were kidnapped in sourthern Algeria. As far as I know they have all now been released. El Oued is a nice town I would love to visit again but I dont dare until the conflict between the government and islamic groups are settled.

by Narviking Written May 30, 2003

Unfortunately Algeria is now a very dangerous country to travel in. Almost daily civilians are killed in the conflict between the government and islamic groups. A group of tourists from Europe was also kidnapped and held for months in the desert now in early 2003. I would love to visit Algeria again but in the present circumstanses I am afraid to do so...

• El Oued Hotels

0 Hotels in El Oued

El Oued Tourist Traps

by Narviking Written Sep 13, 2002

A tourist trap has for me several times been shops or basars were the sellers more or less attack you trying to sell their products. Instead of simply going around looking at the products in peace you have to run for life ! Well in El Oued it was not like that. I could peacefully go around taking a look in the shops and markets. THE PHOTO: A VERY NICE HANDICRAFTSHOP IN EL OUED.

Instant Answers: El Oued

Comments

El Oued Travel Guide
Map of El Oued