Serowe Travel Guide

• Things to Do

Serowe Things to Do

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Updated Jan 3, 2010

It is so cheap, the rangers are friendly, enthusiastic, have a wealth of information - do not understand why anybody would opt to drive themselves here... unless they have already been out with a ranger!

Our ranger, Sidney, was incredible. He simply knew everything, his eye sight was incredible - sometimes, even when he pointed things out to us we still could not see it!

We went out with Sidney at dusk - a great time to go out (but need layers as vehicles are open and it does get very cold!).

We saw LOTS of white rhino and they were so close I could have touched them. My hand on my heart I can say my drive with Sidney is one of the most magical moments of my life which I will never forget and, I hope my children never forget either.

We did not see any black rhino which was a shame but I could spot black rhino poo from white rhino pooh,at a glance by the time we got back to our accommodation! They do apparently have a black rhino who, due to having had to be hand reared by the sanctuary, believes he is more "domestic" han "wild" and there was every chanmce that we would espy us and come "pay us a visit!"

As well as the rhino the sanctuary is home to a variety of other animals - I believe he said 30, including, leopard, caracal, porcupine, hyena, zebra, blue wildebeest (thus named because of their blue eyes), giraffe, eland.... as well as over 230 species of birds.

It cost 333 Pula for 4 people to go out with the ranger on a game drive.

• Safari

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

by smirnofforiginal Updated Jan 2, 2010

The word Rhinoceros comes from the Greek 'rhis' (nose) keras (horn) - the British just put the two together to make a nice and tidy 'rhinoceros'

The Khama Rhino Sanctuary is a MUST visit place. It was set up in 1989 by locals who were frankly alarmed that their rhinos were on the verge of being completely wiped out. The sanctuary covers 4,300 hectacres but they have just recently managed to finance the purchase of more land.

There are both black and white rhino in the sanctuary. Previously some rhino have had to be sold to other reserves in Africa to (a) help with conservation elsewhere and (b) to raise funds for the sanctuary. With the newly acquired land it is hoped they will never have to sell another rhino for financial reasons.

The perimeters of the sanctuary are patrolled by the army because there are still some disgusting people in this world who want to poach rhino for their horn.

The sanctuary rangers are not only some of the friendliest people I have ever met but they are absolutely passionate about their land and the animals they protect within it. There was NOTHING our ranger, Sidney, did not know about the flora, the fauna, topography, history etc... he was a most engaging and enthusiastic man who stopped the jeep every few seconds to show and tell us something else, to allow for photos to be taken....

You can visit the sanctuary on a day trip or can stay overnight in the accommodation provided. You can use your vehicle IF it is a 4WD or you can take a trip with a ranger and, personally, it is so cheap to go with a ranger I would thoroughly recommend this - you will get SO much more out of your trip there.

• National/State Park
    • Safari

• Serowe Hotels

0 Hotels in Serowe

Instant Answers: Serowe

Comments

Serowe Travel Guide
Map of Serowe