Gaborone Transportation

Best Rated Transportation in Gaborone

• tgirl007's Profile Photo

mini buses/combi`s

by tgirl007 Written Jun 4, 2004

Its best to rent a car really, as the city is spread out, but if you`re travelling on a budget the mini buses are efficient.They will take you almost anywhere as long as you check the route on the front of the m/bus.this is a little confusing so just ask someone....you will find that the locals are friendly and more than happy to help.The ave cost is 50cents(USD) and all you have to do is shout out when you want to get off!If you prefer you can catch a cab/taxi which always have blue number plates(public transport incl.mini buses)the taxis are generally cars and not buses.the ave cost of a cab/taxi from one side of town to the other is $2.50

FREE PARKING AND GOOD SERVICE

by DAO Updated Dec 29, 2007

The Shell petrol garage is a great place to get fuel and to park for free for hours. They only have a few spaces, but just get some fuel and ask nicely. A small tip is helpful. You then get free parking in the centre of everything – and the staff are constantly watching your car. You just can’t beat the location and they have free toilets as well. Queens Road is short and these guys are very easy to find.

** There is also an excellent internet cafe just accross the street **

ROADMAPS!

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

You can’t get roadmaps at petrol stations! If you want to see Botswana the scenic way- you will need a roadmap. You can get them at good book stores like the Botswana Book Centre. They are located in Gaborone (2) .Francistown, Maun and Lobatse.

Please note: They are closed on Sundays.

The main one in Gaborone is located at: The Mall, P.O. Box 91, Gaborone, Botswana

• DAO's Profile Photo

DON'T RELY ON DIRECTIONS !

by DAO Updated Dec 28, 2007

You would expect people who work at petrol stations to know directions. Better yet, you would expect them to sell road maps. You might expect that. Trouble is they do not sell maps and they do not know directions. I had one place (Caltex) tell me to go straight down the road to get to the South African Border. A while later I stopped at another (Shell) and they told me to go back in the opposite direction. Neither was correct. I needed to originally take a right, then a left THEN travel straight.

Try and buy a good road map at a book store when you can.

• Kid-A's Profile Photo

Gaborone airport

by Kid-A Written Feb 25, 2008

Sir Seretse Khama International Airport lies about 10km north of the city and connects with Johannesburg, Cape Town, Harare, Francistown and Maun.

It's a small airport with no air conditioning, just some cieling fans that were not on when I was there! Also, the seats were all leather :) so it wasn't so comfortable waiting around for my flight back to South Africa. We ended up just waiting outside, sitting in the grass under a tree.

• MikeAtSea's Profile Photo

Gaborne by Car

by MikeAtSea Updated Jun 7, 2009

Gaborone is located very close to the South African border and can be reached quiet easily by car from Johannesburg via the North West Province. On the South African side the R 49 leads all the way to the border and to Botswana's capital.
    On the Botswana side Gaborone is connected by a road to the North towards Francistown and Nata - and then to the South back to the South African border and then West via the Trans Kalahari Highway to Namibia.

Gaborone Road Map Gaborone Road Map
    • Motorcycle

• Book your cab into Gaborone in advance

by angelawilkins Written Feb 7, 2015

I was a bit nervous before my trip to Botswana, since it was my first time in Africa and I had heard horror stories about crime and violence. My friend was going to come three days later than originally planned and I did not exactly feel comfortable travelling alone as a white woman. So I decided to book my cab into Gaborone beforehand, just to be on the safe side. It turned out there are no cabs at all at the airport, so I was very happy about that decision!!!
    The driver had a sign with my name, spoke good English and was very helpful. I did not have any Botswana currency, but he just stopped at an ATM to let me pick up some cash. He also knew all the hotels and told me some things about the city, where to go and where not to go. It really helped me ease in and spend a few nice days without worries until my friend arrived for our safari.

The taxi company is called Gifa's Transport and I recommend sending them an email (gifastransport@gmail.com, they seem to be checking it regularly, I got an answer within a day)

PS: The prices seemed OK compared to what other people told me they were charged. Between 100 and 150 Pula from the airport to the city, depending on the distance, and he said something about charging more for night trips.

Instant Answers: Gaborone

Comments

Gaborone Transportation

Reviews and photos of Gaborone transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gaborone sightseeing.