Bobo-Dioulasso Off The Beaten Path

Koro from the highway

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Bobo-Dioulasso

A Couple Outside Bobo Dioulasso

A couple outside Bobo Dioulasso

We passed the grounds of the new Burkina Faso University, which was still constructing roads and stringing power cables. Nearby we stopped to visit farmer buildings of a style I hadn't seen before. A middle aged couple lived and worked there. The man described how his father fought in WWI, and how the couple had lost their children. It was a sad tail, but the man seemed dutiful to his wife. In the end, I gave some money to the wife who seemed very concerned about doing work around the house. She had shown me how to pound millet, a task that's not as easy as it might appear.

• Motorcycle

A Family Outside Bobo Dioulasso Invites Us In

Sister and Brother

At my urging, Mamoudou pulled the scooter off the trail to where we could stop and talk to a family. Several sisters were there doing errands. Their grandmother sat and pounded meal with a rock. Eventually, a mother and brother and many cousins came, and I took portraits of them all. Some of these images are posted elsewhere. The younger women had been bare breasted as we talked, but dressed themselves up for the portraits. I showed one of sisters how to use my camera and then had myself taken in one of the family portraits. One of the sisters showed me how she ground cacao beans to make chocolate.

Beyond Koumi

by atufft Written Mar 10, 2006

Outside Bobo on a small river

My guide drove the scooter off the road near Koumi and onto a bumpy little foot trail that looped through the countryside and around past a preserve of sorts where a river flowed through. Mostly, I enjoyed the rural agriculture in progress. In the next tip, I'll show some images of a particular family that welcomed us to visit their home.

• Motorcycle

Koumi

Spiritual Art in Koumi

Outside Bobo Dioulasso is a village called Koumi which has some interesting sights. It's off the highway leading ultimately to Segue in Mali, I believe, but my guide took me there, so I don't really recall the route. Ask around town for details. There's a small entrance fee to get in. The history of the village is apparent in the sense that it appears well past its prime. Two story mud buildings had the second floor walls collapsed and rooms abandoned in places, suggesting that some of the villagers have probably moved into the big city of Bobo. In the subsequent tip I'll have images of the better "off the beaten path" loop that lead back to town.

• Architecture

People of Koro

Old Woman Cooks Catapillars

My guide translated and an old woman even knew a little English. The old woman proudly showed her tribal scars showing the number of children she had bore. A blind man and his daughter showed us their abode. And, a German couple showed us the Green Castle, a large 4wd vehicle that had crossed the Sahara and was on its way to South Africa.

Overview of Koro

About 10 miles outside Bobo Dioulasso, on the highway ultimately leading to Ouagadougou, there is a unique little village perched on top a granite outcrop. There's an entrance fee to this village area, but tourists are relatively infrequent. If one wants to camp here, I think it would be possible.

• National/State Park

Architecture of Koro

Fetish in Koro

This series of images is devoted to the interesting buildings and things found in Koro. The next tip provides images of people.

• Museum Visits

Instant Answers: Bobo-Dioulasso

Comments

Bobo-Dioulasso Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Bobo-Dioulasso off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Bobo-Dioulasso sightseeing.

View all Bobo-Dioulasso hotels