Douala Nightlife

• Mega Slots, the relatively famous nightfighter bar
    Mega Slots, the relatively famous...
    by Cabana_Boy
    Broadway : Restaurant, Bar, Cabaret
    by alain3507
    The Broadway
    by Cabana_Boy

Best Rated Nightlife in Douala

• BROADWAY (The): I FEEL GOOD !!! (ta da da da da da da)

by alain3507 Written Feb 23, 2005

Broadway : Restaurant, Bar, Cabaret

Oh, YES !!! The band is extra !!! Very good live music : Jazz, Blues, African, R and B, and every thing you need to spend a good night. Every body can sing, dance, drink, eat, meet other people and just simply, ... ENJOY. You will never stay alone for a long time in there where every body know each other. People are nice, kind, friendly, and ... correct. The right place for the right pleasure. And if you insist, Pascal will even sing for you, and you will realize (but too late...) that he is not "the best". SIMPLY GOOD !!!

Dress Code: Just try to be correctly dressed and respect people. Every body is wellcome in this very friendly "Pascal and Béatrice private bar". Jeans are accepted, coat and tie also.

• Business Travel

The Broadway: The Broadway

by Cabana_Boy Updated Dec 2, 2004

The Broadway

The Broadway is a nice little local pub masked as a restaurant/cabaret and set in one of the "better" neighborhoods in Douala...in fact the second time I was in Douala I stayed at a house just two doors down from the Broadway, which made it a bit too convenient...Bowman (a.k.a. the bleeder) and I started frequenting the place throughout the week, despite our heavy work schedule and limited time in Douala….

The place is broken up into a small dining room, a bar (naturally), a stage and lounge area and then a small room at the back with a pool table under a bright fluorescent light. The bar and lounge area, where I was spending the majority of my time were dimly lit and reminded me of those places where one feels better off that they can’t see the condition of the place…But that doesn’t matter because the music was good and the drinks were cold and I was feeling pretty good about myself after a few drinks. Better yet, I didn’t get the sense that I was surrounded by malaria ridden mosquitoes looking for the perfect opportunity to strike me down….but in due time that "false" sense of security was quickly dispelled.

On my second visit to the Broadway, “the bleeder” and I decided we would shoot some pool, which I really hate doing with the English because they always seem to have all these rules and they don’t mention them until a situation occurs…regardless, we grabbed a few beers and stepped into the bright fluorescent light of the billiards room and were immediately surrounded by those buzzing bastards….the mosquitoes were so thick you could swat them out of the air with the pool queues…I even caught one of ‘em sipping my beer….Needless to say, we quickly finished our game and retreated back into the darkness of the bar where the mentality of what you can’t see won’t hurt you took over (perhaps with help from a little liquid encouragement) and the band played on….

• Beer Tasting

Mega Slots: Mega Slots

by Cabana_Boy Updated Apr 2, 2003

Mega Slots, the relatively famous nightfighter bar

This is what you might call a nightfighter bar. Mega Slots (a.k.a. Mega Sluts) is two floors of fun and excitement. On the first floor, there are several gaming machines (i.e. coin operated slot machines), which nobody seems to play... The real action is on the second floor, which features a disco on one side and a bar on the other (and somewhere there are some pool tables).

The place is filled with the typical local talent found in Douala, aggressive females looking for a "big daddy." By and large, if you don't want to be disturbed, stay away from the disco. It’s all grab and jab in there. And since merely staying out of the disco isn't enough, find a girl that you can stand and take her into the bar area. Naturally, she will expect a few drinks and some cab fare, but what’s 5,000 CFA among new friends...more importantly it keeps the other, perhaps more aggressive, nightfighters at bay.

St. Pierre: St. Pierre

by Cabana_Boy Written Feb 19, 2003

This is the most aggressive Nightfighter bar that I went into while in Douala... The minute I entered the place I had three new girlfriends all looking for one thing, a piece of my Buddha. Now, why can't that happen back in the States!!!

Perhaps I should explain that the girls in Douala are all on the game. It does not matter who you are or even where you are. You could be propositioned sitting in your hotel's bar or at some "classy" dance club; it's just a way of life for these people.

Anyway, back to my evening at St. Pierre. Naturally, the best way to fend off all the aggressive birds is to latch onto one that doesn't seem too aggressive and allow her to hang out with you. Again, this will at least cost a few drinks and some cab fare at the end of the night...and that's the plan old Karl implemented. My little St. Pierre girlfriend and I danced the night away (St. Pierre actually plays good club music) and I wasn't bothered by the rest of the girls stalking all the guys. I should mention that the girl to guy ratio in St. Pierre was between 8 or 10 to 1.

Senat: Senat

by Cabana_Boy Updated Dec 2, 2004

Quite possibly my favorite nightspot in Douala, especially for live music the Senat is the place to go. The Senat features live jazz, good local beers and so much single malt whiskey you'd think you were in Scotland. The house band is tight and seems to be led by this dude who looks like a young version of Miles Davis.

There is also a great restaurant at the Senat...

• La Cigale: Fantastic Band

by AlPhuket Written Jul 25, 2010

It's a nice, no hassle bar / restaurant with a great band. I've been trying to get to this bar as often as possible, just for the live music. The band comes in about 10:00 pm nightly and starts off with some excellent instrumental (keys, guitar, drums, bass) and after a while s few singers join in, doing covers (and doing them very well). So far La Cigale is my favorite spot in Douala.

Dress Code: Casual

The Club...: The Club...

by Cabana_Boy Written Nov 3, 2004

What an original name, eh!!! This place is somewhat upscale for the typical Douala nightspot and like a lot of places, “the club” often boasts live music…

The place has gone through a bit of a make over since my first trip to Douala and for the better, though it wasn't bad before…the pools tables are still there and the bar still serves up cold “33” so I will keep going back....

• Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Douala

Comments

Douala Nightlife

Reviews and photos of Douala nightlife posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Douala sightseeing.