Dzanga Sangha N.P.
The Dzanga-Sangha Rain Forest, one of the few still intact rain forests in the world, lies in the Congolese River Basin in the southern-western region of the Central African Republic, and is exceptional for its rich biodiversity: lowland gorillas, forest elephants, chimpanzees, waterbuck, monkeys, buffalos, warthogs, bongo (forest antelopes) and so on.
Dzanga-Sangha is probably the best reason to visit the C.A.R. The reserve headquarters, in the town of Bayanga, is well run. (For more information, contact the World Wildlife Fund office in Bangui.)Related to:
- Jungle and Rain Forest
- National/State Park
How to manage all these roadblocks in CAR?
I can give you some tips. Please refuse to pay as long as possible, because people following you have a easier job. You have to know, that since 2003 there is peace in the country and since beginning of 2005 the government is not accepting corruption any more. They send them to jail for 3 years up!!!
But they are used to take and take, even from the locals.
1. Ad a big flag of your country of origin to your car! You look more official. Get a letter of recommendation (in French!). We got one from the International Institute of Peace. But you can also create a letter by yourself. We have been the first travelers with their own cars from Europe within 10 years, so why not.
2. Be self confident!
3. Turn up the headlights of your car (how the government does *ggg*)!
4. Sometimes friendly, sometimes rude (You will soon find out)!
6. Show them that you have a lot of time to steal them!
7. Our best trick (only working with the military) was:
- Drive as close to the road block as possible. Full breaking!
- Don't get out of the car. Fixate them angrily!
- They always show up (after 1-3 Min.)!
- Look a little nicer, but still serious!
- Take the window down to the half (not further!).
- With Firmer voice:
We are from (AD YOUR COUNTRY and point at the flag), (AD YOUR ORGANIZATION and point at your sticker) and we want to continue!
It always worked 100%: They opened the road block.
5. Others: Explain them, that you just need a stamp for entering and leaving the country and that their stamp is illegal! Because when they see, that you have got some stamps, they know, that you pay. Then they will ask a registration-fee. React depending on the situation! E.g. wait in the car and read a book. Usually it works after 10-25 Minutes.
6. They have many Customs in the country. Explain them you will tell your friends in Bangui and so on. You will find out soon and get through these roadblocks!Related to:
- Budget Travel
- Road Trip
Central African Republic Hotels
Boulevard de Gaulle, BP 1044 R.C.A., Bangui, Central African Republic
Good for: Couples
PO Box 1075, Bangui, Central African Republic
Good for: Solo
Au President Valerie Giscard D'Estaing, Bangui, 1015, Central African Republic
Good for: Business
- Official Site
- Travelocity Official Site
- Great room rates
- Hotel Website
Explore the World
- Pouch Cove Hotels
- Mozambique Hotels
- Juan Díaz Hotels
- Ourique Hotels
- Lord Howe Island