Unique Places in Democratic Republic of Congo

Most Viewed Off The Beaten Path in Democratic Republic of Congo

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Enjoy Life - Maybe It Isn't So Bad After All !

by Bwana_Brown Updated May 28, 2008

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I knew that I was probably having the best time of my life during those 3 years in Central Africa but, just in case, every once in a while as I walked down a street in Luanshya I would just laugh out loud and thank my lucky stars! In reality, life was not so bad for the Africans either - things were orderly and there was a great economy that kept things chugging along. This photo shows some Africans enjoying a slow 1973 ferry ride across the Luapula River on the Zaire-Zambia border. I wonder how they are doing now? Zambia's copper industry (and its economy has collapsed), AIDS is rampant in this part of Africa and I do not even want to think about what has happened to the people of Zaire. Something went badly off the rails somewhere.

Africans Enjoying the Luapula River

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

The 'Pedicle'

by Bwana_Brown Updated Oct 12, 2008

The transit road across the Pedicle was used mostly by the locals - not a big tourist area. This strangely-shaped piece of Zaire that stuck down into Zambia was more of a nuisance than anything when trying to get from the Copperbelt towns to the northeastern part of Zambia. However, it was always interesting to see what things were like as we passed through this infrequently visited country! Photo of me on one of the Luapula River ferry crossings (with another ferry headed in the other direction in the background).

The strange shape of the Pedicle actually arises from the fact that when the country was run as a Belgian colony, the Belgians discovered the large extent of the underground copper deposits in this part of Africa before the British in adjoining Zambia (Northern Rhodesia then) did. As a result, they were able to get the British to agree to the strange boundary shape while unknowingly giving the Congo access to the underground riches! Just over the border I was living and working in what is Zambia's 'Copperbelt Province' that had 5 or 6 mines in action.

Ferries Meet on the Luapula

• Hakuna matata tours and Nyiragongo volcano in Goma

by walker22 Written Jun 7, 2010

The day was here. I had wanted to trek up Nyiragongo Volcano, to an active lava lake for two years now. It had been closed due to the rebels’ attacks on Goma in 2008 and had only been open again since March 1st of this year. Just three months after it’s opening, I was going to trek up one of Congo’s most fascinating natural wonders with Hakuna Matata Tours. My driver Tomote picked me up and we took a short five-minute drive to the Rwanda-Congo border. I paid my $35 visa fee, and we met my guide Peechin. Then we drove into Goma to pick up two UN workers from Tanzania who would also be trekking with us. It was a bumpy ride out of Goma to the Parc National des Virunga. I had heard that in Goma there were a lot of UN workers and peacekeepers but I was still surprised. I passed three UN camps just on the way to the volcano. Virtually every other car on the road in Goma is from some sector of the UN.

We got to the Nyirgongo Volcano base and waited for eight more people to arrive. Only 15 people are allowed to trek per day, and four armed guards escort them. Therefore, you are required to hike together. People trickled in, and at 11:30am, we started the climb. Within the first 15 minutes, I was breathing heavily. The altitude was really difficult for me. I was also surprised to discover that there were no switchbacks; you hike straight up the mountainside. Our first stop was an hour and a half in, and it couldn’t have come a minute sooner. I was already tired. I knew we had another three and a half hours to go, and I was questioning whether I would make it. But, of course, the reward of seeing a dramatic lava lake at the top kept me going. By stop two, I was wondering what ever gave me the crazy idea to do this. While my muscles were holding up okay, I was short of breath. The porters refused to pass the hikers going up, so those poor souls carrying all of our heavy gear had to pause every time I did. My guide Peechin from Hakuna Matata was so helpful, encouraging me to go slow and take rests if I needed it. And I did just that! I knew I would make it up, I just wasn’t sure how long it would take me. We reached the top in five hours. After gasping for air up the last bit, I was still short of breath just walking around at the top. When we reached the summit, you see two things: the summit sign telling you that you’ve made it and a small wooden cross. Unfortunately, a Chinese trekker lost his life by falling into the crater. Since my balance was not good, I tried to stay a foot back from the edge. It was cloudy when we first arrived, but the porters thought it would clear up in an hour.

Unfortunately, it was a rare event but the clouds never lifted. It was freezing cold and windy at the top! We set up our tents on a narrow strip of land with a steep drop-off. I got a few glimpses at the lava, but for the most part it was just a red glow. As much as I was disappointed about not seeing this 2km wide lava lake at its best, it was still more than worth it. The stunning views of Lake Kivu, Rwanda, and Congo were amazing. And even without the lava, the crater was still really impressive. Due to the altitude I had a headache and was a bit nauseous. the guide and porters cooked up a delicious meal of rice and beans, and I bundled up in all of my clothes and my sleeping bag. The night was so windy so it was on and off as far as sleep.

We got up the next morning, just hoping that maybe we could see the lava lake, but as soon as we unzipped our tent, it was just thick fog. The hike back down was tough! The only thing that made it better was that I could actually breathe. But my muscles were definitely not happy. I slid a lot of times, but luckily only landed flat on my bum once. I would like to note here that falling on volcanic rock… not so great on the tush. It took us three hours to get down the mountain, where a car from Hakuna Matata Tours was waiting to pick us up. Nyiragongo Volcano had completely and utterly exhausted me! It took a day or two for me to recover and even as I write this, I’m still a bit sore. I put on my running shoes this morning and found two holes in the sides of them; these bad boys aren’t going to hold up much longer (luckily I have a backup pair with me). So, it’s probably best to do this trek with hiking boots. Hakuna Matata Tours did an excellent job arranging transport, guides, porters, and camping supplies. I felt very safe traveling in Congo with them and recommend the company for all of you adventure junkies out there! As tiring as it was, I have to say, I’m really proud that I made it, and maybe I’ll do it again in five years- when I forgot how tough it was! Check back tomorrow to see all of the pictures from my Nyiragongo Volcano trekking experience. You won’t want to miss them!

For more visit my blog at http://www.awanderingsole.com/archives/heart-of-darkness-trekking-the-nyiragongo-volcano#more-1857

• Adventure Travel

Democratic Republic of Congo Hotels

• Hotel Memling

You do not compaire hotes around the world as you cant compaire countries. for congolese, memling is...

• Hotel Ihusi

the hotel is a bit of a maze but makes it interesting. The swiming pool is 1st class. everything...

• Grand Hotel Kinshasa

Rooms and bathrooms have seen better days (1970's). There's wifi internet access!! Alas not fast....

Top Democratic Republic of Congo Hotels

21 Reviews - 21 Photos
Bunagana Hotels
2 Reviews - 14 Photos

Instant Answers: Democratic Republic of Congo

Comments

Democratic Republic of Congo Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Democratic Republic of Congo off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Democratic Republic of Congo sightseeing.
Map of Democratic Republic of Congo