Kinshasa Shopping

Most Recent Shopping in Kinshasa

• sebblit7's Profile Photo

Side of the road: Cheap Beer

by sebblit7 Written Aug 4, 2006

Our hotel didn't seem to have a problem with us bringing our own beer into the hotel rooms and since the hotel price of US$7 per bottle was a bit excessive we saved ourselves a small fortune by buying beer from the side of the road at the end of every day.

Look out for the informal pubs on the side of the roads, you can see the beer branding painted on the walls, Skol, Primus, etc.

My French is terrible but I managed to negotiate 600CF per beer to take away. The price on the board read 350CF but I was made to pay the extra because I was taking the bottles away and they were losing their deposit.

I guess if I were a local, or at least spoke some French I could have paid a little less, but just over a dollar for a 750ml bottle of beer was fine by me.

What to buy: I didn't try the Turbo King, just seeing the name almost gave me a hangover. Primus and Skol both fine beers

What to pay: 600CF per 750ml bottle

• Business Travel

• sebblit7's Profile Photo

Peloustore: 1st world store at 1st world prices

by sebblit7 Written Aug 4, 2006

Every third world city needs the good old expat store and this is it. Prices are high but you can get all the luxuries. It's tempting to buy the beer from here especially if you've just arrived and baulked at the hotel prices, but you're not saving yourself much cash. If it's beer you want get it take away from the side of the road at 600CF (US$1.50) rather than here.

6 Heinekens cost 4512CF (US$10)

• Business Travel

Instant Answers: Kinshasa

Comments

Kinshasa Shopping

Reviews and photos of Kinshasa shopping posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Kinshasa sightseeing.