Places to eat in Djibouti

• Restaurants

Most Viewed Restaurants in Djibouti

• La Mer Rouge: The only restaurant with Sea food in Djibouti

by yousufraza Updated Nov 15, 2012

La Mer Rouge is the only seafood restaurant in Djibouti.
    Crab,lobster,clams,shrimps grouper,sea bream...everything that you need is available at good prices. Lobsters are expensive but I find it normal, fish around 16 $, alcohol starting at 3,5$.
    Staff is friendly, but some of them do not speak English but anyway the menus are in English.
    The parking is dark but inside is very nice. I would not recommend to miss it while there in djibouti

Favorite Dish: Lobsters is my personal favorite. Another great dish is the fish with lemon butter sauce.

• The melting pot: A place to discover

by yousufraza Written Nov 15, 2012

Melting Pot restaurant Djibouti is a great place to go.
    The restaurant is nice, clean and the food is good. They have a huge selection of food meat, sushi,fish,crab.... I do not know how they manage. The prices are not cheap, but there are cheaper then other places in Djibouti and you can always find a deal.

Every Monday beer at 500 fdj, that is less then 3 dollars and less then any other place in Djibouti and every day Lunch promotion at 8 dollars. At least when I was there.
    They are some cheaper places to go like Casanova or Ethiopian club but I would not risk going there.

Favorite Dish: Sushi was amazing!

• Restaurant Melting Pot Djibouti: One of the best restaurants

by ll3010 Written Jan 3, 2012

Melting Pot Djibouti Restaurant is one of the best Restaurants I’ve been in Africa. My first surprise, when I got inside that hidden spot was the lights, the welcoming and the decor. From an outside look, you would never imagine the place would be so sparkling. I’ve eaten there 4 times during my 1 week stay, and I’ve tried the Camel meat which was surprisingly very tasty and good. I also had very good sushi and a big skewer of meat. The Staff is very pleasant; there is also a huge bar and a swimming pool. Prices are on the average (around 15 to 20 dollars).

L'HISTORIL: NICE ENOUGH

by DAO Written Nov 6, 2011

I went up the stairs to investigate what the L'Historil looked like inside one day at lunch time. I was greeted by a very pleasant gentleman and shown the big fish tanks and my table. Its air-conditioned and absolutely wonderful inside when you escape the heat. I had a simple lunch of spaghetti, french bread and cold water. It was ok. The menu has much better dishes, especially many seafood delicacies including shark. For non-seafood lovers the prime rib with roquefort cheese sauce sounds gorgeous.

The restaurant does most of its business at dinner time and its recommended you stop by and make reservations beforehand. They do serve beer and wine, but the price of the wine is fairly expensive.

I never made it here for a full meal, but the menu looked great.

• Wine Tasting
    • Luxury Travel

KEMPINSKI PALACE: THE ULTIMATE MEAL

by DAO Updated Oct 23, 2011

This is, quite simply, the best bufet in Africa. It’s also the most expensive, but may be worth it if you drink. The restaurant offers a buffet every night as well as theme nights on Saturday (Arabic night), Monday (Tex Mex night) and Tuesday (Asian night). The friendly staff bring you into a large hall filled with wonderful smells and you are seated at your table. The drinks order is taken first. Ah! That’s right – free wine & beer. Yep, all you can drink & eat. Then there’s the food! Sushi, hot meat roasts, cooking stations, wonderful varieties of vegetables dishes, wonderful fish and cooking stations. The cooking stations make all sorts of goodies for you the way you want it. There is also a huge salad choice and the dessert are is the size of a small restaurant itself. Yes, you are eating and drinking at the best buffet in Africa.

This place is not cheap. $45 for normal buffet nights and $50 for the theme nights. I sat and drank beer for 3 ½ hours along with my meal – no questions were asked. Its good value if you are a drinker.

Favorite Dish:
    I enjoyed the Tex Mex night. I did mix fajitas and other Mexican dishes with sushi and curried fish. Fantastic. And of course – Mexican beer (pictured).

• Luxury Travel
    • Spa and Resort

CHEZ MARCO: BEST 'BUDGET' IN CENTRE VILLE

by DAO Updated Oct 23, 2011

This is the best French meal I have ever had and the least I have ever paid for one. My meal was gorgeous, had regular sized portions, looked nice with our being a miniature piece of art and left me with plenty of change in my wallet.

I read about the restaurant and its signature dish in a guidebook. The dish is the “Filet de Boeuf Sauce Roquefort”. That’s fillet steak with Roquefort cheese sauce. I thought ‘I have to give it a try’. I am so glad I did. Strangely they are only open at night – unless you make a reservation – and I was the only person in the restaurant when the other diners left as I entered. I was prepared for the worst. I was not prepared to be blown away by the food. WOW!

I had the Niçoise salad to start. Fantastic! Then came the Filet de Boeuf Sauce Roquefort with the house red wine. The steak was massive given that it was fillet. It melted in my mouth. The wine was great to and I felt like I was dinning in heaven. Absolutely unforgettable.

And the prices? Affordable. I am truly impressed with this place and I cannot recommend it enough.

My server was polite, quiet and nothing was a problem. Especially the food and bill he brought me.

If you are here in Djibouti – get in here!

Also know as
    Le Niçois Chez Marco

Open Saturday to Thursday 6pm (18:00) to 11pm (23:00)

Favorite Dish:
    Filet de Boeuf sauce roquefort with house red wine! A world class meal at reasonable prices.

PLANÈTE HOLLYWOOD: THE RUDEST RESTAURANT IN AFRICA

by DAO Updated Apr 4, 2011

PLEASE DO NOT EAT HERE! I walked into this restaurant to have a look and the staff ignored me at first. When I put my hand on my camera several started shouting at me. Weird. I was going to take a picture of all their pictures of movie stars. They continued to shout at me and I took the picture anyway. I have never had staff of any restaurant in Africa ever be anything less than very polite. The staff continued to shout and be rude to me until I left. I had originally gone in to get at least a beer. I highly recommend you give this place a miss. The décor is not that great anyway.

• janiebaxter's Profile Photo

Lac Assal at the Kempinski Palace: Fantastic Variety of International Dishes

by janiebaxter Written Feb 13, 2010

The Kempinski Palace Hotel has 3 restaurants but we only used the Lac Assal as this was the best value with the biggest selection of food, being an International Buffet. The buffet area is the biggest I have ever seen with so much choice of dishes from all over the world.

The best meal was Brunch at €32 per person. This had the biggest selection of dishes and included some African ones which I was pleased to see and try.
    The Bread occupied one whole counter and I didn't even try to count all the varieties - see picture.
    Starters included whole salmon, sushi and sashimi, salads, cold meats, pates.
    Mains included Chinese – duck pancakes, beef stir fry, Italian – Bolognese seafood and other pastas, Local – stuffed goat, Ossobuca, Roast pork, chicken and beef, Various rice and potatoes, Vegetables, Couscous, salads.
    Desserts were pancakes, cakes, cheese, sorbet, ice cream, yoghurt, pies.

Dinner was also €32 per person but there was not as much choice as lunch.

From the wine list we paid €20 for very decent South African Merlot which we didn't think was at all bad, as we expected it to be more pricey.

I am not a big fan of Breakfast but you could have all types of eggs, breads, French toast, hams, pates, smoked fish, sausages, bacon, toast, hash browns.

Other Restaurants are the beach bar and an Italian which was extremely expensive which we didn’t try.

The Lac Assal is open to non-residents and is popular with business people and military personnel and their families. It is particularly busy on Friday which is a holiday and many people go for brunch so I would advise booking.

Favorite Dish: We were particularly impressed by the roasted stuffed goat we had at the lunch buffet and had to have 2 portions even though we had already eaten too much. It was tender and so tasty!

• JAVATO's Profile Photo

Estoril: European restaurants and Djibouti food.

by JAVATO Written May 4, 2008

In Djibouti you can go to several european restaurants. they cook french and international food, they are cleans and good but really very expensives. About 30 €.
    If you don't have prejudices, you can go to eat Djiboutian food. It's very hot but you can ask it without hot. To me it's good but you must taste it, maybe it's too strong.
    Food for one person about 3 €.

Favorite Dish: Lamb with onions over Djiboutian bread. Very hot and strong taste.

• dutchwindmill's Profile Photo

La Terrasse: A treat

by dutchwindmill Updated Apr 1, 2007

Nicely appointed restaurant, with terrace for those not wishing to sit in the a/c. French and Lebanese cuisine. Swimming pool available for use of patrons. Friday buffet + swimming for 3500 fdj.

Favorite Dish: Good steak and many other gourmet dishes. Fresh ingredients flown in regularly on Air France from Paris. Together with the restaurant at the Kempinski Palace the best in town. Prices are accordingly high, but acceptable value for money. (Excellent and large tournedos in red wine sauce 3800 francs.) Reckon about USD 50 pp.

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

L'Etoile (Khobeb): Ethiopian food with traditional show

by adelinemmc Written Nov 10, 2006

L'Etoile is a great restaurant for a night out between friends or family. If there are more than 2 or 3 of you, you must book in advance as it is very popular. Ask for the traditional tables if you want to order ethiopian food or the classic tables for something else such as beef fondue (French dish favoured by expats and legionnaires on leave).

Arrive around 8-8.30pm, enjoy an aperitif and watch the show from 9pm onwards. Lovely couple of dancers and good musicians will keep you entertained. The guys in the audience should look forward to the moment when the female dancer goes around to kiss a random selection of customers' knees!

Photo 1: the food
    Photo 2: the show

Favorite Dish: The Ethiopian food will be served on a big flat pancake in small portions. There is no need to share as each person will have his or her own little piles of food. You then scoop the food with bits of pancake provided in a bread basket.

Our selection included boiled eggs in tomato sauce, spicy chicken wings, tangy lentil salad, cubed beef in sauce, minced beef with onion, tangy cabbage and a portion of very mild goat cheese. All was delicious!

Price quoted here was with beers and wine and was fantastic value.

All the places I know about in Djibouti: The list I would eat at

by Ekahau Written May 28, 2006

• ALLO PIZZA SARL - HERON (Djibouti Ville)
    • BLUE NILE (Djibouti Ville)
    • HOTEL RESIDENCE DE L’EUROPE (Djibouti Ville)
    • LA CHAUMIÈRE - GRILLADIN (Djibouti Ville)
    • LA TERRASSE (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE FIGARO (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE BAFENA (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE DOUBLE B (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE JULES VERNE (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE KINZ (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE LONGCHAMP (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE PROVENCIAL (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE RIFT (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE RITAL (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE SANTAL (Djibouti Ville)
    • LE VIETNAM (Djibouti Ville)
    • L'ÉTOILE DE KOKEB (Djibouti Ville)
    • OUGOUL (Djibouti Ville)
    • PIZZAIOLLO SARL (Djibouti Ville)
    • PLANÈTE HOLLYWOOD (Djibouti Ville)
    • RESTAURANT FIGARO (Djibouti Ville)
    • RESTAURANT L’ETOILE (KOKEB) (Djibouti Ville)

Favorite Dish: Some are very good -- the Vietnam place is excellent -- many are French and the food is priciey but fresh and well prepared in these better places I listed.

One other place is in The Yeman area and they cook fish in a clay oven very good very cheep but can not remember the name your hotel well know.

La Terrasse: Lebanese and French cuisine

by Ekahau Written May 27, 2006

At La Terrasse, which serves Lebanese and French cuisine, the proprietor Mona is a great person nice to chat with.

Favorite Dish: Kibbeh bil-saneeya (baked kibbeh) and kibbeh rass (fried kibbeh), both of which usually contain a filling of cooked meat and pinenuts. Baked kibbeh is layered in a pan with its stuffing and drizzled with olive oil, while fried kibbeh is shaped into miniature hollowed out footballs and then stuffed before being fried. Both of these cooked kibbeh are often served with refreshing yogurt sauce. Despite advancements in modern technologies, kibbeh-making is still an arduous task and usually reserved for holidays, festivals or Sunday dinner.

Blue Nile: Ethiopian

by Ekahau Written May 27, 2006

A tall, stunning woman with characteristically high cheekbones and soft skin, dressed in a shama (a just like the photo) with a pitcher in her right hand, a copper in her left hand, and a towel over her left arm. She pours warm water over the fingers of your right hand, holding the basin to catch the excess, and you wipe your hands on the towel that hangs over her arm.
    Injera, the sourdough pancake-like bread of Ethiopia. Food is brought to the table in enamel bowls and portioned out on the "tablecloth!" When the entire Injera is covered with an assortment of stews, etc., you tear off a piece about two or three inches square and use this to "roll" the food in-the same way you would roll a huge cigarette. Then just swoop it up and pop it into your mouth. Your host might "pop" the first little "roll" in your mouth for you. It takes a bit of doing to accomplish this feat but once you master it, you cannot help enjoy It.

Favorite Dish: INJERA Bread of Ethiopia

IAB Cottage Cheese and Yogurt

DORO WAT Chicken Stew with Hard-Boiled Eggs

SEGA WAT Lamb Dices

KITFO Tartar Steak

CHEF KURT LINSI'S QUEEN OF SHEBA SALAD Spicy Salad

• Le Club de Chiminots: relaxing place

by dhen Written May 10, 2006

Le Club de Chiminots (I don't speak French so I apolgize if I misspelled it) near the U.S. embassy. This is the only restaurant near the beach and it's usually not busy. It's very relaxing to sit under the large acacia tree and listen to the waves under a full moon.

They have a grill there that has some excellent shishkebab or brochettes as they call it.

Favorite Dish: see above

See nearby hotels
Ile du Large Hotels
See nearby hotels

Instant Answers: Djibouti

Comments

Djibouti Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Djibouti restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Djibouti sightseeing.
Map of Djibouti