Aswan Tourist Traps

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Aswan

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

Baksheesh!

by RavensWing Written Oct 21, 2013

You hear this word all the time. BAKSHEESH is tip in arabic. Every where you go there is someone asking you for baksheesh.

So if you let a local take your picture, let them get in the picture with you, take a picture with them ~Baksheesh~

If they put your suitcase on the belt going through airport security, let you go through the fast lane - Take a guess -- baksheesh

Unique Suggestions: It's not really something you can get away from. So have small notes (Egyptian LE) or change on hand with you to give to them.

Remember not to tip to much. In my hotels stays I only left at the very most 5LE on my pillow for the staff.

• RavensWing's Profile Photo

Toilet Paper & One Pound Notes

by RavensWing Written Oct 18, 2013

Save Some for a Rainy Day!

When you use the public washrooms there is a woman standing/sitting at the door waiting for you to give her 1LE to get into the washroom and then she will hand you 1, yes you read that correctly ONE sheet of toilet paper.

This is not limited to the washrooms around the tourist sites. Sometimes when you are in a restaurant washroom - there is no toilet paper!

Unique Suggestions: Always have some extra Kleenex or toilet paper with you.

Save your 1LE notes because if you hand them a 5LE they will still just give you one sheet and let you in. You don't get any change!

• Architecture

• June.b's Profile Photo

Caleche and shopping

by June.b Updated Jun 16, 2011

When taking the caleche (horse-drawn carriage), haggle for the fare, don't worry that's normal and they expect that. Now, when the caleche driver starts to tell you that he could recommend a shop of his brother or cousins or any relatives or friend, say no if you really have a destination. Unless of course, you wanted to.

And if you do say yes, then you'll be in for an expensive shopping as the driver normally gets a commission on the sale.

Unique Suggestions: ...just say no and ask him to go direct to your destination.

Fun Alternatives: ...just say no thanks or "La Shukran, habibi" (No thanks, sweetie).

• June.b's Profile Photo

Allegedly a former employee of Moevenpick?

by June.b Updated Jun 16, 2011
    souk area

The day I was looking for the AlMasry Restaurant and walking along the street near the souk (market), one guy crossed my path and asked me where am I going, I said I'm looking for the AlMasry Restaurant. He said, "Do you remember me? We've met in Moevenpick some years back when I used to work with Moevenpick" hmmmmm... I said, I haven't been to any Moevenpick and yeah, btw, I don't remember you from anywhere. And i kept on walking while he was saying the restaurant is there, in fact he was telling me the wrong direction.

So in case you meet this guy or any other guy who tells you the same catchy line...avoid at all cost...unless of course you really remember him.

Unique Suggestions: Smile and walk away...

Fun Alternatives: ...or just ignore and walk away...don't ever catch up on the conversation.

• Avoid Alabaster Factory Elnouba Bazaar

by eripley7 Written Oct 7, 2009

This appears to be the factory that tour guides favor. The prices are outrageous even after bargaining, which became clear once we reached Luxor and did comparative shopping. Worst of all their employees demand tips which is not something we encountered anywhere else in our trip (and we visited Taba, Sharm el Sheik, Luxor, Alexandria and Cairo).

Unique Suggestions: Avoid it.

Fun Alternatives: Wait until you get to the West Bank in Luxor to get comparable merchandise. With hundreds of such shops (versus only a few in Aswan), you'll find a better selection and the presence of such tremendous competition keeps the prices down and gives you more leverage when bargaining.

• Women's Travel

• Court94403's Profile Photo

Average Prices for Things to do in Aswan

by Court94403 Written May 4, 2008

Aswan High Dam

This is for the traveler to Aswan that doesn't like the idea of being attached to to a large group of tourists, someone that sometimes likes to go it alone.

Unique Suggestions: This is a list of the attractions in Aswan and the average price (These prices are subject to change, per Tour Leader).
    Day Trip to Philae Temple 40 L.E. = about 8.00 USD
    Ticket for entry to Abu Simbel 50 L.E. = about 10.00 USD

• Court94403's Profile Photo

Average Prices for Tipping

by Court94403 Written May 1, 2008

Most employees in the Egyptian Tourism industry live on the tips or "Baksheesh" they recieve,
    most employees are fair and realize the people thet visit are usually on a budget too. But sometimes, you may find overzealous workers who may try to get a little more money tipwise.

Unique Suggestions: Basic Services Recieving Tips:

Washroom Attendant 1-2 L.E.
    Tour Guide (Daily) 25 L.E. per person
    Luggage Handler (Hotel) 3 L.E. per bag
    Hotel Room Housekeeper 15 L.E. for (3 days)
    Tour Bus Driver for Day Trips 100 L.E. (around Aswan)
    150 L.E. (outside Aswan)
    Cafe or Restaurant Waiter 5 L.E.

• VZ-Pam's Profile Photo

Broken souveniors

by VZ-Pam Written Jan 29, 2008

broken bracelets I bought

Be careful about the goodies you received when you bought your items from those aggressive vendors on the street. They often give you less quantity than the numbers you agree on, or they gave you some broken merchandise.
    A vendor in Aswan kept yelling at me what is my problem about not buying these cheap looking ceramic scarab bracelets . I just randomly said his asking price for 100 El for 5 is too much, I said its about right if 5 EL for 6 bracelets. Then he pulled me into the store and said deal. While I was surprised, he took my 5 El & gave me 3 bracelets. I said "you said 6 !" Vendor said "another 5 EL I gave you another 3 bracelets". I was not happy because I did not want to buy these to begin with. Then I said yes, give me the other three. Vendor gave me & I left without paying him extra. I thought I won from these dishonest vendors....oh but wait ....most of them are broken items anyway .....I guess Egyptian merchants won !

Unique Suggestions: Just be happy since the goodies in Egypt are cheap. Never give any prices according to american standard and don't feel asham if you offer like 10 percent of their asking price.

• Aswan Market area - Aggressive sellers

by fosbak Written Aug 7, 2007

On a tour and cruise around Egypt the sellers of Aswan are the most tedious and aggressive. They are also the most stupid because the create an atmosphere that stops you from buying. The old guys seemed fine it was the young men and boys that were the problem; at one point there were four of them grabbing at me. I also had to fend a couple off my teenage son and it was the only time in Egypt that I had to get loud and aggressive (as opposed to assertive) This was also the only place where polite but firm "no thanks" in arabic didn't have any effect at all.

At one point a tourist policeman walked by and for a brief minute they scattered, no one bothered us at all - it was like seeing drugs dealers scatter when the police video van drives by. When he'd gone the mood changed back to awful.

Later in the week we returned to Aswan and our guide told us that Aswan is the place in Egypt where the traders will switch the money you give them for smaller notes and then claim that you haven't given them enough. One trader tried this on a fellow traveller but repented pretty quickly and grovellingly when challenged aggressively.

We wandered from the tourist paved road into dark dirt road area of the town. Here the shops were local shops and the people were much more friendly and genuine - we were invited to buy but got no hassle at all in this down market area.

Unique Suggestions: Take great pleasure in buying nothing from Aswan market - it's the only way they will learn. However; do spend elsewhere in Egypt, tourist money is important for this beautiful country.

Get your guide to tell you the local equivelent language and protocol for telling people to [get lost] Ours told us but after we had been.

• Archeology

• ambitachenai's Profile Photo

SAHRY & ALAA JEWELLERY ASWAN - BEWARE

by ambitachenai Written Jun 23, 2007

SAHRY & ALAA JEWELLERY ASWAN - A government approved/ certified store. We were taken there by friends from Aswan. The owner a soft spoken and gentle mannered person showed us around personally. We bought four semi precious stones worth about a $1000 from him. He convinced me they were genuine and kept pointing out that he was firstly a govt approved store and secondly that he would never cheat a friends friend. on reachiing India my family jeweller had one look and said they were pieces of Plastic!!! I sent them to the instute of gemology that certified them to be plastic.

Sent the certificate and the stones back to Aswan. The jeweller has refunded UD$250 and I am still waiting for the balance.

• lvdpiet's Profile Photo

Money change

by lvdpiet Written May 29, 2006

Buy your Egyptian pounds at a bank or take them from a money machine. Never be alone to do it! Look at your change as you pay for something. 1 pound = 100 piasters and the piasternotes are just as big as the poundnotes. So don't get ***ed in a change trick!

Never tip in euro's or in dollars. Use pounds! Two or three is quiet enough! A to high tip is an insult! Remeber that.

• Saladinos's Profile Photo

Buying Papyrus

by Saladinos Written Mar 14, 2005

When going to most touristic sites you will be followed and surrounded by lots of men offering you to buy their original papyrus papers. It is not an original papyrus they are liers.

Unique Suggestions: If he is offering you a papyrus as an original one tell him No this is not Original and that you are the brother of picaso or leonardo Da vinchi and that you cant be decieved by this.
    If you are stuck by his hassle then give him a 3-5 egyptian pounds (less than 1 dollar). and ask him to give you the papyrus.

Fun Alternatives: Dont buy papyrus from the streets cause they are not for real but a sketchy.

There are special places to buy them from. ask you tour operator

• School Holidays

• Saladinos's Profile Photo

Pretending to be gays

by Saladinos Written Mar 14, 2005

"Khawal, metnak, olla" are different names for describing a homosexual man. If you are one then i have to warn you from the trap.
    You might find guys who pretend they are gays and will lead u to believe so till u r inside a room or so and they will start the blackmail game. They might rip you off of your money and still wont give you what you want.

Unique Suggestions: Dont show you are a gay and wait till you know what's going on around.

Fun Alternatives: Get to know the person very well before getting involved. Many murders happens around gay community in Egypt.

• School Holidays
    • Gay and Lesbian
    • Singles

• Beware the horse carriage drivers!

by YouthinAsia Updated Jul 22, 2003

Make ABSOLUTELY certain that you agree on the price and the currency before getting into the carriage. Some of the drivers will quote a reasonable sounding price and then at the end of the ride into downtown try and get the price in US $ instead of Egyptian $.

Unique Suggestions: Be very clear before you ever get in which currency you are using.

Fun Alternatives: I had to threaten our carriage driver with reporting him to the Tourist Police when he tried the currency switch. If need be, get loud and DO NOT back off, it only encourages them to rip off the next tourist (kind of like feeding the bears in Yellowstone).
    The walk downtown isn't far and pretty level so using your feet is a reasonable alternative. Taxi cabs are OK as well for longer trips like up to the mosque which is a fair hike up a hill.

• Luchonda's Profile Photo

Aswan Dam

by Luchonda Written May 2, 2003

Aswan Dam

Provider of energy for a huge part of Egypt.
    It is forbidden to film - but photoshooting is allowed.What is the difference - and by the way - the man on the wall is me - in it's RAMBO period ! - So this is a tourist trap !!

Instant Answers: Aswan

Comments

Aswan Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Aswan tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aswan sightseeing.