Aswan Transportation

hah...my felucca captain relaxing.
    by June.b
    felucca captain preparing for sail
  • Transportation

Most Recent Transportation in Aswan

Felucca Ride in Aswan

by atufft Updated Aug 18, 2007

Crew of our Felucca

Perhaps the best way to appreciate the beauty of the Nile at Aswan is to hire a felucca and crew for a few hours, or a few days. We didn't have time for an overnight trip, but we did fill a late afternoon with a trip to and around Elephantine Island with this adventure. There is a special quay where the felucca's port, and one can bargain for what seems reasonable, recognizing that $25 ro $30 US dollars should get you at least a couple of hour's boat ride. Our captain and sailor were gentleman and quite skilled with their rigging. We were impressed by the harrowing tacking quite near the big boulders of Elphantine Island. The captain and sailor stayed in Elephantine's port while we wanderd the street of the old town for about 30 minutes, but we were motivated to quickly return to the thrill of sailing.

• Tijavi's Profile Photo

From Cairo to Aswan

by Tijavi Updated Jul 31, 2007

Inside my single cabin

From Cairo, I took the sleeper train to Aswan, which took around 12 hours (train 84 leaves Giza at 2000H and arrives in Aswan around 0815H). Besides the sleeper trains, foreigners are only allowed to take two other trains, which were less comfortable, i.e. no sleeping cars. For a single cabin, I paid USD 80, one-way, inclusive of dinner and breakfast.

Reservations could be made at the Sleeping Train reservation office at Ramses Station in Cairo (to your left upon entering the station). I did the reservation two days prior to departure, but during peak season (around winter), I was told reservations have to be made days in advance. As of May 2007, there are no more departures from Ramses station, but only from Giza station. From downtown, Giza station could be reached by: (a) taxi - costs about EGP 15 from Midan Tahrir; or (b) Metro - take the Metro going towards Giza, where you get off. The train station is right below the Giza Metro station - costs EGP 1. You board the train on the platform on the station side.

One interesting fact about taking this train, is the amount of security the government has provided for tourists' safety. The train is accompanied by a group of heavily-armed Army personnel - still can't make up my mind if this is a safer strategy or only attracts more attention.

• JohnniOmani's Profile Photo

Convoy Anyone?

by JohnniOmani Written Apr 9, 2007

Most travellers go to Abu Simbel in one of the two official convoys at either 4am or 11am ( Ive never met a person that actually went at 11am) and it takes about four hours to get to the site because it is near the Sudanese border. There are several checkpoints and and most people go in luxury buses or minivans. Some agencies charge around 250 pounds to go but budget hotels charge around 80 Egyptian pounds. For all costs including food, you will spend around 150 Egyptian pounds ($25 Canadian dollars). Foreigners are sometimes allowed to get a public bus to the site but dont count on it as seats are limited. EgyptAir has two daily flights to the site (completely sad) and they cost around 650 pounds and leave at 630 and 9am.

• veigapaula's Profile Photo

Felucca, to be or not to be motorized...

by veigapaula Updated Mar 25, 2007

Nile felucca with motor

When there's no wind you have to change from the romantic felucca to a small-kind-of-felucca motor boat to get you to the Nubian village before nightfall...

At first the trip starts in a small felucca (up to 20 people) sailing...then a bit ahead, they change you to a motorized felluca that goes through the Nile channels (if the guide wants to) and ends up in a camel ride trip to the Nubian village. But you can stay in the boat and go by boat all the way (as I do because, camel are rude and they manage to leave you with no back bone for the rest of the week).

• Eco-Tourism

MS Rosetta

by CandS Updated Jun 5, 2006

The MS Rosetta

As part of our Geckos tour, we had a cruise boat for three nights of our trip, we travelled from Aswan up to Luxor... Our boat was named the "MS Rosetta". It was a really nice boat (although a little old in the decor area...hehe...) and it was one of the highlights of our trip. The rooms were very comfortable, clean and everyone had a window. They have a small pool on the top deck, a bar and restaurant etc.

• Photography

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Train from Aswan to Luxor

by Sambawalk Updated May 28, 2006

To take train out of Aswan to Luxor, for example, there are only 3 official trains, 06:00, 18:00, and 20:00 for foreigners. However, the tourist office told me that I could take any other trains to Luxor if I brough the ticket on the train. This information was confirmed by another VTer to be wrong and she could not even get through the ticket conductor at the train before she board on the train. To avoid this potential trouble, I took the 06:00 train (1st class 26 EGP May 2006) to Luxor.

The 1st class is very comfortable (see pic).

Local Mini Van System

Braving our Way to the Mini-Van Station

On the other side of the railroad tracks, in the heart of the less touristy part of Aswan, there is a mini-van station where vans depart periodically for various destinations down the river ribbon highway. The prices are fixed, and the driver's won't charge more than they're supposed to unless you have a huge amount of baggage or give them a hard time. The vans line-up and as soon as one is full, it goes. If the wait is too long, one can pay for an extra seat or two, but expect the van to stop and pick up passengers on the roadside as it goes. These vans run full. We used the vans for an excursionary trip to Kom Ombo (Kawm Umbu, see my page and tip for this temple) as this is much faster than the cruise ship. In fact, we saw a cruise ship load and depart, and then we walked across town, waited for the van to fill up, and then arrived at Kawm Umbu before the tourist cruise ship did. Then, that group left before we did, effectively limiting their time at a great temple, and we beat them back to Aswan in time for drinks. We also used this mini-van system to temple hop our way to Luxor, stopping at Edfu (Idfu, see my page and tips for this temple and town), before picking up another van to finish the trip to Luxor. The ribbon highway that follows the Nile River is very scenic, and I like sharing rides with the bedouin and Nubian passengers that make up the majority of people using this system. It's a lot cheaper than the cruise ship and really much less of a time waster. But, you do have to brave the grimey streets of Aswan with the baggage. We were able to drag our wheeled luggage just fine though.

• Singles

Camel Rides

Camel Boy and View of San Simeon in the Distance

A ride on a camel is a great way to see the desert. Typically, young men or boys will have their camel, and one can bargain with them for a ride to where you want to go. We didn't have time for just a ride for the sake of the camel, but I found this transportation very convenient for the trip to San Simeon (see off-the-beaten-path tip). Camels are comfortable, but I prefer to wear long pants and shoes for such a ride. Bring a hat and sunglasses.

• Desert
    • Horse Riding

Train to High Dam

Train Station at High Dam, Aswan

The Cairo-Aswan Train stops in Aswan, but one line actually goes all the way to the High Dam. This is typically used by workers, but tourists also take it, and it's very cheap. It's also the way to go for trips to Kalabsha and Island Temple of Philae, as well as for the dam and Lake Nasser boatrides in general. The train runs at regular intervals during the day and costs about one American dollar, as I recall.

• Archeology

• Sambawalk's Profile Photo

Train from Cairo to Aswan

by Sambawalk Updated May 10, 2006

Sitting area before converting to bed

To reach Aswan from Cairo or Luxor, you can take one of those designated trains for foreigners. I took the sleeper train No. 84 (departure at 20:00 from Cairo to Aswan for US$53 per person in a cabin for double occupancy. Payment is made in US$ only and I wonder in what country I was travelling. By the way, the ticket office has UV bank note viewer to check your US$ notes are authentic or not.

The ticket price include dinner and breakfast, excluding drinks which can be purchased on board. See pic for the drink price list. The carriage attendent uses the aircraft meal serving trolley and aircraft plastic tray and food container to serve the meals. The facilities in the cabin is very nice with running water. I put some air refresher in the cabin to ensure that scent is flowing all over the cabin and that my journey is enjoyable. See more pics for the cabin and meal.

At the time I travelled (late April 2006), I could purchase the ticket only 4 hours before the departure (as I arrived Cairo from Bahrain on the same day). In fact, I noted that there were many empty cabins. But you should book in advance during high season.

• Myndo's Profile Photo

On the Nile with a cruise ship

by Myndo Updated Apr 29, 2006

View from the Nile Cruise ship

Since the Nile is the Life cord in Egypt (over 90% of the people in Egypt live at the Nile) and also many historical places are located right at it, a Nile Cruise is a good way to experience some of Egypt.

Relaxing on the boat, you have a nice view of the Rim of the Nile. Shortly behind the pleasant green you can see the desert beginning.
    It is also interesting to see how the people are working here: making their fields, herding the cattle, praying ...

Of course if you want to really get in touch with the people this may not be the right way.

All Nile Cruise Ships do have approximately the same shapes and size. That is no wonder since they are limited in the height by the bridge in Edfu and in wide by the lock in Esna.
    Every single one of them has been built in Egypt on a warft in Alexandria I think.

Felucca

by CandS Updated Feb 3, 2006

A felucca

We went for a felucca ride one afternoon...it was fantastic!!! I would definitely recommend all visitors to Egypt to have a felucca ride along the Nile... We hired a felucca with a mattress rather than seats so we could all lay back and relax a bit...it was definitely worth the extra money! We paid 40 LE (A$1 = 4.5 LE) each for the hour ride and it was really worth it.

We saw some gorgeous scenery along the way and we could have easily spent a lot more time on the felucca!!!

• Rafting

Night Train

by CandS Written Dec 6, 2005

near Aswan

We took a night train from Cairo down to Aswan then from Luxor back to Cairo... It was a 1st class train cabin that we were in and was actually not too bad. The seats were like business class in an aeroplane but the toilet was definitely not the nicest. ;)

The train ride down to Aswan took around 16 hours because of an accident on the track (it's usually 12 hours) but it was fun to look out the window during the daylight hours and see some of the countryside. From Luxor back to Cairo it was about a 9 hour trip.

• Diana75's Profile Photo

Feluca ride – a relaxing way for spending the day

by Diana75 Written Nov 1, 2005

Felucca

Feluccas are typical Egyptian sailing boats.
    The Felucca ride is a real pleasure.
    It’s actually the perfect way to spend a relaxing afternoon.
    We sailed around Elephantine Island and stopped to the Botanical Garden.
    We did the ride before our departure on the Nile cruise and because there was no wind we were close to miss the embarkation time.
    At the certain point two little boys in a boat full of water came near our felucca and started to sing in different languages for some money.
    It’s so strange to hear these two boys, which were not more than 6-7 years old, in German, English or Spanish.

• MalenaN's Profile Photo

To Aswan from Hurghada

by MalenaN Written Oct 11, 2005

View from Tombs of the Nobles

My travel companion and I went straight from the ferry to the bus station in Hurghada to buy tickets for the night bus to Aswan. We were told we could buy the tickets on board when the bus arrived. But it was a Thursday night and the bus was already full when it arrived at the bus station. A lot of people tried to get on and my friend kindly asked the bus driver to let us on board. He said yes and I quickly got the bags in the luggage compartment before anyone changed their mind. We were not the only passengers who were without seats and we had a journey of nine hours ahead of us. In the back there were mostly women sitting so we sat on the floor there. Later, when the light was turned off we tried to sleep on the very dirty floor. We were not the only persons trying to sleep on the floor, but I guess it was not often tourists were seen doing that. On the way we stopped two times for tea and once when the bus broke down. Not until it was a couple of hours left I got a seat.

It was a very uncomfortable trip, but a very memorable one and for that I enjoyed it.

The ticket was 45 pounds.

Instant Answers: Aswan

Comments

Aswan Transportation

Reviews and photos of Aswan transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Aswan sightseeing.