Camel Ride, Sharm El Sheikh

• Camel Ride
    by Myndo
  • Camel Ride
    by Myndo
    Mine and the misses camels
    by LiamJackson10
  • Myndo's Profile Photo

Camel ride and Star watching in the Desert

by Myndo Updated Oct 21, 2013

I have to admit, that I used my time in Sharm not very well. We could have done a lot more.
    But at least I wanted to make an excursion into the Sinai desert, so we booked a tour named "Stars of Sinai".
    It included a camel ride into the desert, a dinner under the stars and later the opportunity to watch the stars through a very professional telescope.

This trip was really worth it, the only thiing I was not so happy with was the long time it took to get all the people from the different hotels in Sharm (about 1 hour). - But that depends on which tour you book and how many people come.

Riding the camels is easier than it may look. Just relax.
    Oh, BTW, actually there are no camels in Egypt, they are all dromedars (one bump only).

You can go up to a viewpoint and experience the sunset over the desert and mountains. Wonderful views.

The beduin dinner was really nice, too. Flat bread and chicken and goat meat and vegetables and rice. And all this while it is getting really dark and the stars get out above. Romantic!

When it is dark enough, you get a little more into the desert on an open place, where 3 professional telescopes stand. A hobby astronomist explains you some of the stars - he did this very well, easy to understand for everybody and interesting, too.

Back through the desert with the bus (and another hour until all the people are distributed to their hotels -ugh).

• Adventure Travel

• LiamJackson10's Profile Photo

Camel Ride

by LiamJackson10 Written Sep 1, 2010

Me on the camel

I will give anything a go when on holiday and in Egypt a camel ride seems to be the norm. I went on the ride near the blue hole but i got offered a go where ever you go. I didn't cost alot at all really and i went right down the edge of a beach and sea. It wasn't the best ride ever i had done. The lad holding my camel managed to get the camel running which made it even worse. It was a good thing to try though. Give it a go you might like it , getting on and off the camel its a laugh though which i will leave till you have tried it.

• smirnofforiginal's Profile Photo

Camel Riding

by smirnofforiginal Updated Apr 17, 2007

Camel Riding

We were taken into the desert to the Bedouin and they took us out on their camels. Absolutely brilliant fun. Me and the kids thought this was even better than the quad bikes and they were great!

Got to have a gallop (if galloping is how you describe a camel running) which is much smoother and easier than the bumpy plodding along.

Camels - tall and bad tempered and understand "yallah"!

The Bedouin here were lovely and hospitable. At no point did I feel we were in a tourist trap. We stayed there for ages, enjoying their hospitality (and wondering if our driver would ever return!) and our kids played with theirs etc... was a lovely experience and a great setting for a camel ride.

• Desert

• malaplava's Profile Photo

Camel Ride

by malaplava Written Nov 9, 2005

If you decide to go on Moses mountain, best way heading to top of it is camel!!!! First you will save straing for "stairs" on the very top and second, feeling is great!!!! I was never riding before, not even horse or pony.

• kare_ab's Profile Photo

Trip on a camel

by kare_ab Written Aug 31, 2003

There are some guys at every hotel to offer you some trips. Mostly you have to compare them with the trips your travel organization offers, but often the one from the locals are cheaper.
    I've made a trip to the desert (You definitly have to do this!!) first by car, then we changed to camels. Of course it's a strange feeling at the beginning, but after a while it's just fun. We were around 6 tourists, each on a camel and around 4 tourguides. They are really friendly and wanna know something about your country and tell about their life. After the camelride we went to the Beduines and had dinner. (Sometimes it's better you can't see what you eat... however it's was tasty.) And of course it's always kind of an adventure to sit on the floor, eat some tradtional food and drink some special tea, in the back a fire, some locals...

Instant Answers: Sharm El Sheikh

Comments

View all Sharm El Sheikh hotels