Snorkeling, Sharm El Sheikh

• solopes's Profile Photo

Blue Hole

by solopes Updated Dec 30, 2013

Blue Hole - Sinai

One of the featured snorkeling places in Sinai is this one, close to Dahab. The reef is not a wall, as everywhere else, but a sort of carpet, wide, rich, wonderful, with a deep hole in the middle. There, the dark blue and cold water create a vertiginous sensation. Indeed, a unique experience. Unfortunately, the supporting touristy structures are poor and bad - even a toilet is something... well, they said that there were one, the ladies went there, and... gave up.

• Eco-Tourism

• Red Sea Cruise

by paul_gibbo Written Oct 17, 2012

we visited sharm el sheikh as friends of ours advised us too do so, they told us whatever we do we must go on the red sea cruise excursion the full day trip.

it wasn't the kind of day out i thought my children and myself would enjoy, as my husband loves the sea i knew he would have a great time but boy how i was wrong, on all three stops we could not get our children out of the sea they loved it.

The only way i can describe this trip is like being put into the set of finding nemo and it being real life, so many different colours and so many different fishes it is truly unbelievable, so much so my husband and eldest son opted to do trial dive aswell on the second stop.

Friends of ours have been visiting sharm for 4 years now and they met and english man called Peter who owns a british bar and a tour company called jasmine tours so they gave us all his details so we visited him for the excursions direct in comparison too our first choice rep and the private company inside the hotel the price are incomparable, for 5 of us for the red sea cruise we paid 60GBP for all of us, First Choice wanted to charge 45GBP per person and the private company Sunrise wanted to charge 36GBP per person and we only paid 60GBP for all of us, then my son and husband had to pay an additional 15GBP per person for the trial dive they did so in total we paid out 90GBP for the whole day with drinks and food included, if we booked with first choice only 2 of us could of gone for the same price so thats the comparison for prices inside and outside the hotel.

Anyone visiting sharm please please please maksure you do this excursion it is out this world and you will love it, on our way back we even saw dolphins in their natural habitat it was truly amazing day out and anyone that visits sharm please do this excursion its great.

• Red Sea Cruise

by paul_gibbo Written Oct 17, 2012

i would advise to anyone going to sharm el sheikh, to do the full day red sea cruise, it was fantastic my wife, myself and 3 children aged 19, 14 and 12 all did this excursion, the three stops for snorkeling can only be described as the set of finding nemo so many different fish and so many different colours it is truly unbelievable.

Myself and our eldest son also opted to do a trial a dive each which they said was out of this world, so much so my son wants to return to sharm to do the open water course.

Through friends we already knew of an english man that owns an english bar and excursion company in sharm so we were lucky in the fact we got a really good price for the excursion as all his prices are minimal for the whole day it cost us 12GBP per person so a total of 60GBP and then my son and i had to pay 30GBP for both of us to do a trial dive each, inside out hotel at LTI Grand Azure - First Choice were charging 42GBP per person just for the red sea cruise and the company inside the hotel were charging 35GBP per person so all in all we got a really good deal.

I would advise to anyone to do this trip as it made our holiday and even got to see a family of dolphins swimming in the natural habitat anyone visiting sharm please take my advice and book this trip it is a must.

• solopes's Profile Photo

The main attraction

by solopes Written Aug 31, 2011

Sharm el Sheikh

There's another way to "go to Rome and not seeing the pope" - it is going to Sharm el Sheikh without snorkelling. The area is composed by two different type of snorkelling places - the good, and the excellent ones. We visited both.

• LiamJackson10's Profile Photo

Boat Trip - Day time

by LiamJackson10 Updated Sep 2, 2010
    Ship Wreck on the reef

We booked this to go on a boat trip where we could snorkel and swim again but this time it was in the day time. We was all inclusive drinks and food again and sea is amazing as always. A good day out which didn't cost alot. The red sea is out of this world and the fish are amazing. Look at the pictures there is a russian vodka ship run a ground on the reef as well which looks good. For the reef they are special and you need to visit it of a boat to get to the back side of some off them where they have steap walls of reef. PUKKA

• Sailing and Boating
    • Water Sports

• LiamJackson10's Profile Photo

Blue Hole

by LiamJackson10 Written Aug 31, 2010
    blue hole - just see the grave stones at the back

I went on a trip to the blue hole after hearing alot about it. There is a few grave stones on the side of the beach on a rock area because quite a few divers have lost there life here. I was told my a diver there that you had to go down through a hole into a cave or something like that. I never went diving here just snorkelling for the day. The snorkelling was amazing and see alot of different colours and fish. There was places to eat a long the beach front, only little shackes which did good food and drink. You could go on a camel ride if you want there but the main thing is diving or snorkelling and its an area i would do again if i went back.

• Water Sports

• glasgowblue's Profile Photo

Snorkeling in the blue hole

by glasgowblue Written May 31, 2007

Snorkeling in the blue hole is a must for everyone. I can't swim but went a day trip to the blue hole at Dahab and the tour guide gave me a life jacket and took me out into the sea off the jetty. Its called the blue hole as it seems to drop into the bottom of the sea and is the most amazing blue colour with endless amounts of colourful fish. Its like being in another world and the fact i did this without being able to swim means anybody can do this

• mikaerkkila's Profile Photo

Snorkeling for words

by mikaerkkila Written Jan 8, 2007

You can easily find two words created from bricks, those are at the bottom of the sea. Go to the beach area of Hilton hotels and start to snorkel. The first word VOVA, which means water in Russian, is very close the beach. The second word SUOMI, which means Finland in Finnish can be found right after the coral edge, depth of water is about 6-7 meters. The words are made of bricks and each letter is almost 1 meter of height, no possibility to miss...

• Snorkelling in Ras Mohamed National Park

by it_guide Updated Jun 28, 2006

Ras Mohamed National Park

Snorkelling and Scuba diving is what the Red sea is famous for, so be sure not to miss the opportunity! There is fish and coral to be seen just out from the beach in Naama bay, so if you don't want to go out on a day trip in a boat, you can still enjoy snorkelling.
    Most boat trips leave from the Marina, and go to Ras Mohamed National Park, which takes about 90 minutes to get there, so it's not a trip for those susceptible to sea sickness. The coral is much more extensive there, and there are bigger fish to see. The water is warm and clear, and relatively sheltered, although not nearly like walking out from the beach in front of your hotel!
    Despite being in the 'open' ocean, the tour operators were crowded in around the same area, and tried to keep the group of 20+ tourists so close together that it was elbow to elbow! Might be worth booking a more expensive tour if you can afford it to reduce numbers.

Do bring along snorkelling gear - although you can buy gear in sharm
    Do hire the spring wetsuit if you are likely to get cold in the water
    Do bring along a jersey or something warm - 2 hours in sea wind does get cold - despite the sun
    Don't bother if you get sea sick easily - there is no solid ground for 8 hours!

On my Sharm website: Full description of my experiences

• National/State Park
    • Aquarium

• ALANinWORCS69's Profile Photo

Snorkelling

by ALANinWORCS69 Updated Jun 16, 2006

Lisa Snorkelling In Sharm

You can't come to the Red Sea without snorkelling or diving. Even if like me you are not a qualified diver this shouldn't stop you from viewing the fantastic reefs. Our party of 7 hired our own private boat and guide for half a day... We were taken to several dive sites and our guide showed us the best places to view... we only snorkelled (hired some of the kit from the dive centre at our hotel, Hilton Sharks Bay), but the sights were amazing. The cost of the boat and guide for half a day was only £75 (haggled again!!!), between 7 of us that was just over a tenner each!!! great value.
    We also stopped of at a remote island for a picnic... it was desolate and very hot... but an experience. It gave us time to relax before we returned back to Sharks Bay.

Tour guides/reps are all over the place touting for business, often approaching you around the hotels.. haggle and you wont go wrong... well worth it!

• National/State Park

• tissie's Profile Photo

Finding Nemo

by tissie Written May 31, 2006

Jetty over the coral at Dreams Beach, Sharm

You have got to snorkel when you're in Sharm El Sheikh.

The Red Sea is one of the best locations in the world for snorkelling and scuba-diving and you will find plenty of opportunities to try both (although you have to be pretty fit and healthy to scuba).

I am not a strong or even a keen swimmer, being frightened of being out of my depth in the water and not being keen on not being able to reach the side, so although I wanted to snorkel I was terrified!

I got a mask and snorkel and spent ages practising in the hotel pool until I was confident about the way it all worked.

Then I walked out across the coral on the jetty from our hotel beach. Beautiful fish can be seen from the jetty and they even play with your toes as you walk along. At the end of the jetty the reef ends and the water is very deep and very blue....beautiful, and scary!

With the help of my daughter (she literally held my hand), I got into the water and snorkelled a litle way from the jetty, and back again. I'd done it!!

We then joined a Thomson Red Sea Cruise excursion from our hotel. A lovely day. Two hours cruising towards Tiran Island, seeing a shark (don't panic) and dolphins on the way. Two snorkelling dips with a life-jacket and a very supportive dive-master and then a great lunch aboard our boat, "Moscow". Two hours of relaxation later we had a final snorkel and then returned to Sharm. I cannot begin to remember all the different types of fish and coral we saw but they included Nemo, stingrays, Napoleon fish, parrot fish, pufferfish.....

It is one of those things you "have to do" and you'll probably never be in a better place to try it than when you're in the Red Sea (the water's warm too!!)

• Cruise

• JuliaF's Profile Photo

Snorkelling in Ras Mohammed

by JuliaF Updated Mar 19, 2006

We arranged through our tour operator, a boat trip which left Naama Bay in the morning and sailed to Ras Mohammed. What a Fantastic Day!!! It was my first time snorkelling, and for our daughter, who was 8 years old at the time. The crewe couldnt have been more friendly and helpful, and they were brilliant with the kids and great fun, laughing joking and singing.
    Some of the children hadn't snorkelled before, and were a little nervous. The instructors were excellent with them, fully explaining what the needed to do, and didn't rush them in anyway. The food was cooked on board and was very tasty and there was plenty of it. It was one of the best days we had in Sharm, and it gave us the bug for snorkelling. We will definately do it again this year.

• mr.small's Profile Photo

Snorkelling

by mr.small Updated Sep 11, 2005

Blue spotted ray

Sharm is not just a lovely holiday destination.It is also one of the worlds premier diving locations.This is due in the main to the quality and volume of both fish/mammal life and the coral life.However,if you do not dive all is not lost,you can see about 80% of the wildlife in the red sea in the first 3M of water and the fact that it is very close to the shore aswell makes snorkelling the ideal way to do it.All of the pictures with this tip where taken at the beach in Naama Bay about 20M out from the shore.

• malaplava's Profile Photo

Snorkell

by malaplava Written Aug 10, 2005

If you are not professional diver (I am so mad with myself for going to Egypth as non-diver) then don't miss snorkelling or otherwise you won't feel Red Sea!!! Underwater world is waiting for you to come!
    You can buy mask and snorkell in Sharm, but watch out. For the same snorkell set (Egy Sub), you will be asked from 65 to 120 LE. Mask is made of silicone and as the say tempered glass, and you can eject water from snorkell, and you shouldn't pay set more then 50LE.
    Then enjoy!

• raquelsathler's Profile Photo

Snorkeling

by raquelsathler Updated Jul 20, 2005
    fish

The Red Sea it's one of the most amazing places for the under water life. It has thousands o f different types of fishes and amazing coral.

You don't need to dive, all you have to do is to go to a beach and do some snorkelling, and you will be amazed with what you see.

Instant Answers: Sharm El Sheikh

Comments

View all Sharm El Sheikh hotels