Snorkeling, Sharm El Sheikh

Sharm el Sheikh
  • gabriellefox's Profile Photo

by gabriellefox Written Jan 29, 2005

Snorkel

There are many tours being sold all over the place including trips to Cairo, Alexandria and Luxor to see pyramids and museums but we wanted a relaxing holiday so did not take up these opportunities. I would however strongly recommend taking a day trip to Ras Mohammed National Park by boat. You are taken to 3 dive spots, 2 in the National Park and one outside it. The snorlkelling is excellent as is the instruction and food and refreshment provided on board.

• Myndo's Profile Photo

The Sinai Mountains

by Myndo Updated Dec 12, 2004

Sinai from the Air

The dry Sinai half-island is covered with these sharp edged mountains that are really typical.

The picture was taken when flying back from Sharm. Impressive view, huh?

On one of these mountains it is said, that the Arche Noah landed after the flood.

On another one Moses got the ten rules from god.

And Abraham spoke to the burning bush.

So you see this dry desert landscape is religiously very important land.

There are excursions to climb the mountain where the St. Catherines Monastery is. This is suposed to be the Mountain of Moses. if you do so, start in the night, watch the sunrise from the top, then get back down, before it gets too hot.

• Mountain Climbing
    • Adventure Travel

• mr.small's Profile Photo

by mr.small Updated Sep 11, 2005

Blue spotted ray

Sharm is not just a lovely holiday destination.It is also one of the worlds premier diving locations.This is due in the main to the quality and volume of both fish/mammal life and the coral life.However,if you do not dive all is not lost,you can see about 80% of the wildlife in the red sea in the first 3M of water and the fact that it is very close to the shore aswell makes snorkelling the ideal way to do it.All of the pictures with this tip where taken at the beach in Naama Bay about 20M out from the shore.

• tissie's Profile Photo

Finding Nemo

by tissie Written May 31, 2006

Jetty over the coral at Dreams Beach, Sharm

You have got to snorkel when you're in Sharm El Sheikh.

The Red Sea is one of the best locations in the world for snorkelling and scuba-diving and you will find plenty of opportunities to try both (although you have to be pretty fit and healthy to scuba).

I am not a strong or even a keen swimmer, being frightened of being out of my depth in the water and not being keen on not being able to reach the side, so although I wanted to snorkel I was terrified!

I got a mask and snorkel and spent ages practising in the hotel pool until I was confident about the way it all worked.

Then I walked out across the coral on the jetty from our hotel beach. Beautiful fish can be seen from the jetty and they even play with your toes as you walk along. At the end of the jetty the reef ends and the water is very deep and very blue....beautiful, and scary!

With the help of my daughter (she literally held my hand), I got into the water and snorkelled a litle way from the jetty, and back again. I'd done it!!

We then joined a Thomson Red Sea Cruise excursion from our hotel. A lovely day. Two hours cruising towards Tiran Island, seeing a shark (don't panic) and dolphins on the way. Two snorkelling dips with a life-jacket and a very supportive dive-master and then a great lunch aboard our boat, "Moscow". Two hours of relaxation later we had a final snorkel and then returned to Sharm. I cannot begin to remember all the different types of fish and coral we saw but they included Nemo, stingrays, Napoleon fish, parrot fish, pufferfish.....

It is one of those things you "have to do" and you'll probably never be in a better place to try it than when you're in the Red Sea (the water's warm too!!)

• Cruise

• paradisedreamer's Profile Photo

by paradisedreamer Updated Apr 3, 2004

It is possible to snorkel just off the beach in Naama bay. The best way for children to learn. We tried to take our daughter onto the reef but she can't swim yet and was too nervous as the sea currents at Ras Mohammed can be rather strong. You can buy fins and snorkels in the town.

• Snorkelling in Ras Mohamed National Park

by it_guide Updated Jun 28, 2006

Ras Mohamed National Park

Snorkelling and Scuba diving is what the Red sea is famous for, so be sure not to miss the opportunity! There is fish and coral to be seen just out from the beach in Naama bay, so if you don't want to go out on a day trip in a boat, you can still enjoy snorkelling.
    Most boat trips leave from the Marina, and go to Ras Mohamed National Park, which takes about 90 minutes to get there, so it's not a trip for those susceptible to sea sickness. The coral is much more extensive there, and there are bigger fish to see. The water is warm and clear, and relatively sheltered, although not nearly like walking out from the beach in front of your hotel!
    Despite being in the 'open' ocean, the tour operators were crowded in around the same area, and tried to keep the group of 20+ tourists so close together that it was elbow to elbow! Might be worth booking a more expensive tour if you can afford it to reduce numbers.

Do bring along snorkelling gear - although you can buy gear in sharm
    Do hire the spring wetsuit if you are likely to get cold in the water
    Do bring along a jersey or something warm - 2 hours in sea wind does get cold - despite the sun
    Don't bother if you get sea sick easily - there is no solid ground for 8 hours!

On my Sharm website: Full description of my experiences

• Aquarium

• ct-bound's Profile Photo

Go Snorkling!

by ct-bound Written Jan 1, 2005

Shark's Bay, Sharm el Sheikh

The Red Sea has an amazing reputation for it's sealife, and now I see why! There is incredible snorkling available, often directly off the beach.

We spent a great day snorkeling the 'House Reef' at Shark's Bay, on a beach readily accessible to the the public. Although snorkeling gear could be rented for $10 US, the dive guys only charged us about $2!

• ALANinWORCS69's Profile Photo

by ALANinWORCS69 Updated Jun 16, 2006

Lisa Snorkelling In Sharm

You can't come to the Red Sea without snorkelling or diving. Even if like me you are not a qualified diver this shouldn't stop you from viewing the fantastic reefs. Our party of 7 hired our own private boat and guide for half a day... We were taken to several dive sites and our guide showed us the best places to view... we only snorkelled (hired some of the kit from the dive centre at our hotel, Hilton Sharks Bay), but the sights were amazing. The cost of the boat and guide for half a day was only £75 (haggled again!!!), between 7 of us that was just over a tenner each!!! great value.
    We also stopped of at a remote island for a picnic... it was desolate and very hot... but an experience. It gave us time to relax before we returned back to Sharks Bay.

Tour guides/reps are all over the place touting for business, often approaching you around the hotels.. haggle and you wont go wrong... well worth it!

• malaplava's Profile Photo

Snorkell

by malaplava Written Aug 10, 2005

If you are not professional diver (I am so mad with myself for going to Egypth as non-diver) then don't miss snorkelling or otherwise you won't feel Red Sea!!! Underwater world is waiting for you to come!
    You can buy mask and snorkell in Sharm, but watch out. For the same snorkell set (Egy Sub), you will be asked from 65 to 120 LE. Mask is made of silicone and as the say tempered glass, and you can eject water from snorkell, and you shouldn't pay set more then 50LE.
    Then enjoy!

• glasgowblue's Profile Photo

Snorkeling in the blue hole

by glasgowblue Written May 31, 2007

Snorkeling in the blue hole is a must for everyone. I can't swim but went a day trip to the blue hole at Dahab and the tour guide gave me a life jacket and took me out into the sea off the jetty. Its called the blue hole as it seems to drop into the bottom of the sea and is the most amazing blue colour with endless amounts of colourful fish. Its like being in another world and the fact i did this without being able to swim means anybody can do this

• claus9000's Profile Photo

The Red Sea

by claus9000 Written Jun 18, 2003

Ever seen crystal clear waters? Ever been one meter away from the beach and fishes are swimming around you? The Red Sea in the area of Sharm has such warm waters which are extremely clean as hotels also protect nature and do not dumb their waste water into the sea.
    Swim, do some snorkelling or make scuba diving, if you like it. It's really worth.
    And as clear as the water is the air. There is no pollution as there is almost no industry except tourims industry.

• Water Sports
    • Spa and Resort

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

You gotta snorkel or dive. (I...

by Hexepatty Updated Sep 22, 2003

You gotta snorkel or dive. (I wish I was a certified diver, but alas, i never took lessons!)
    Snorkeling was good enough, and better than nothing. AMAZING underwater life. They are not allowed to fish, so there are PLENTY of fish down below. Healthy colorful coral, as well!!!

We saw moray eels, and a baracuda!

• solopes's Profile Photo

The main attraction

by solopes Written Aug 31, 2011

Sharm el Sheikh

There's another way to "go to Rome and not seeing the pope" - it is going to Sharm el Sheikh without snorkelling. The area is composed by two different type of snorkelling places - the good, and the excellent ones. We visited both.

• kenmerk's Profile Photo

Fish Jagger

by kenmerk Written Jan 2, 2004

Mick of the Deep...

If there ever was to be a underwater contest for the lippiest fish, I'd say that the winner hands down would have to be our good friend the Napolean Wrasse...

I'm so hot for you... I'M SO HOT FOR YOU >>> I'M SO HOT FOR YOU, but you're SO COLD>>>>>

• kenmerk's Profile Photo

Blue Skies...

by kenmerk Written Jan 2, 2004

Neptune Sunrise...

Most every day is a blue sky day in the Sinai... And as such you will get many a chance to encorporate the sun beaming down into your underwater pix....

Use it, it can create some out of this world feelings...

Instant Answers: Sharm El Sheikh

Comments

View all Sharm El Sheikh hotels