Tiran Island, Sharm El Sheikh

by solopes

• TravelingButts's Profile Photo

Tiran Island Excursion

by TravelingButts Written Aug 3, 2015

I loved this is excursion, it is everything you would want from a boat trip, beautiful sunshine, calm relaxing boat ride, diving and snorkeling plus a pretty impressive lunch. The views are amazing both on board the boat and under the water. They take you to three different locations around Tiran Island where you see many colourful corals and fish. You can choose to dive or snorkel, I find snorkeling is for me because you can swim at your own pace. They provide life jackets and guide close by you at all times showing you what to look out for and to keep you safe. After a buffet style lunch which includes, meat, rice, pasta and salad I laid on the top deck and sunbathed until we reached the last location which was the best. You snorkel near a British WW1 shipwreck and can take some amazing photos. The first time I booked the excursion, I booked through my travel rep, who of course charged me almost triple, they advised me I cannot book with anyone else as they have no insurance. Two people in the hotel booked the trip with another guy for half the price. We ended up on the same bus, the same boat and were explained later that the insurance is the same for as they all use the same boat company. The only annoying thing was we could have had two excursions for the price of one of the reps. Anyway second year, I meet Ahmed who my friends had booked with previously and took the excursion again with him. He even went the extra mile and gave me his personal number so that if at any point I needed anything we can call him and he will solve any problem. its a shame he has to carry his licence with him as proof he is licensed but unfortunately in Sharm you cannot be too careful to know who is trusted. No problems on this trip, all the staff were lovely and we were well looked after. So my advice is definitely give this trip a try, but book with someone who will give you value. Ahmed's company will come to you anywhere in Sharm so that is my most helpful tip - his page on facebook is www.facebook.com/sharmdayandnight Hope this helps anyone else!

• solopes's Profile Photo

Good snorkel

by solopes Updated Dec 30, 2013

This trip to Tiran island has one and just one purpose - snorkel. We visited three different spots, all with different characteristics. We were a large group, and we really had fun, in a new, clean and well maintained boat, where even the lunch... was good.

Bargain! With a list price of 25£, we paid... 17€.

Tiran Island - Egypt Tiran Island - Egypt
    • Eco-Tourism
    • Beaches

• Cant wait to go back

by soanesie8 Written May 4, 2013

Whilst we stayed in Sharm we booked all of are excursions through Jasmine Tours the service was great and all the excursions were very well organised. We did Cairo by plane we paid 120 sterling for everything was included and Ahly are guide was great he really looked after us. We also booked Tiran Island which Alex himself came on with us and was are snorkel guide for the day, the food on board the boat was lovely and Alex went out of his way to make it so memorable. Then we did a super safari which was quads, camels Bedouin dinner and show and star gazing again such a great night had by one and all.
    I would recommend these excursions to any one further still I would recommend Jasmine Tours for there great service.

Tiran Island with Alex Tiran Island
    • Desert

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Strait of Tiran

by Tripack Updated Aug 30, 2006

The island of Tiran is located at the southern end of the Gulf of Aqaba, which is a 2'000 meter deep cut in the bottom of the ocean. Here the Gulf narrows and becomes shallower.

With the change of tides, huge quantities of water flow through this bottleneck and cause very strong currents. In the center of the Strait of Tiran, a ridge pushes up, running from north to south. On its highest elevation four coral reefs (Gordon, Woodhouse, Thomas and Jackson, which are named after British cartographers) have formed.

The currents around these reefs are the cause for the extraordinary diversity of corals and big fish swarms. Among others, you can see barracudas, snappers as well as sharks.

These dive sites can be reached by boat around one hour cruising time from Naama Bay.

• Aquarium

• martin_nl's Profile Photo

Strait of Tiran

by martin_nl Written Jun 18, 2006

A couple of hours by boat from Naama Bay will get you to Tiran Island. In the centre of the Strait of Tiran, between Tiran Island and Sinai, four reefs can be found. They are all named after 19th century english cartographers. The reefs are called Jackson Reef, Woodhouse Reef, Thomas Reef and Gordon Reef.

Jackson Reef is usually the most crowded of the four. Because of this reason the boat I was on didn't go to this site. We dived the Woodhouse Reef and the Gordon Reef. The last one can be easily recognised by the Loulia wreck that lies on the northwestern side of the reef. Usually there are waves on that side of the reef and the diving always takes place on the other side, where water is very calm and where there are fixed moorings.

The diving at both sights is superb though the currents at the Woodhouse Reef can get quite stong. You will se many red anemones here with them cute little clown fish. Get to close to the anemone and the clown fish will attack. Whooooh we're scared. I love the personality of this fish, it's so small but it has the attitude of a shark ready to kill.

Unfortunately we could only do two dives at Tiran, but usually you can do a third dive too. The reason we could only do two dives was that Mubarak the Egyptian president was in Sharm and therefor all boats had to make a detour to get to Tiran Island, which took about an hour longer each way. Too bad since I really enjoyed diving at Tiran!

The Loullia ship wreck at Gordon Reef
    • Beaches

• tashka's Profile Photo

National Dancing

by tashka Written May 10, 2005

Enjoy the rhythm of arab dancing! The show is colorful and full of energy. I liked every minute of it.

Most hotels arrange for a special event dedicated to Arabic culture (usually once a week). This day they serve local food and invite dancers. Don't miss it!

Dancing show at the Coral Beach Tiran Hotel
    • Theater Travel
    • Music

• Dont miss the boat trip to tiran islands

by vickie26 Written May 9, 2005

This trip was such a relaxing one, if you didnt fancy snorkelling then you could just relax and enjoy the sights, i chose to snorkel and it was well organised and i felt very safe, the underwater experience was amazing, it was my first time out, as im a little scared of the deep blue. The fish and corals were such an experience, i even got to a dolphin, turtle and number of other wierd looking fish, it was like swimming in a tropical fish tank, the people on the boat were very informative and friendly and even looked after out son who was a little sea sick, so was i but they gave us some tablets and they worked a treat, they even managed to talk my 7 year old into having a go at snorkelling and he really enjoyed it.

• Aquarium

• belgrade03's Profile Photo

Trip to Tiran Island or Ras Mohammed

by belgrade03 Written Oct 12, 2004

30$/person
    10-16.30.
    Tiran and Ras Mohammed offer excellent opportunities to see the fascinating underwater world. Tiran is closer to Sharm, 17 km away, while Ras is about 35 km away. Boat excursions to Tiran include two spots for snorkelling and swimming in the Blue lagoon near the island. Lunch on board is included. One also has a chance to go snorkelling along the Gordon reef near the wreckage of a Russian ship.

Gordon reef
    • Sailing and Boating

Instant Answers: Sharm El Sheikh

Comments

Hotels Near Tiran Island
4.0 out of 5 stars