Sharm El Sheikh Tourist Traps

• Tourist Traps
    by suhail_maddie
    tourist police at the entrance
    by TONY786
  • so very hot make sure good sun protection
    so very hot make sure good sun...
    by TONY786

Most Recent Tourist Traps in Sharm El Sheikh

• geordiebutcher's Profile Photo

Taxi Drivers

by geordiebutcher Updated Mar 17, 2013

Taxi drivers in Egypt as a whole will try and overcharge you, but one man tried to "con" me by switching a 50 piasters note for the 50le note I had given him, fortuately I had heard of this con and was watching him so he didn't get away with it. My son however after a night out and being the worse for drink was conned. So agree the price before you get into the taxi and count you money into the drivers hand at the end of your journey and save yourself a few LEs

• SHOPPING

by ylil Written Nov 25, 2012

Egyptians are honestly the nicest people we have ever met and we love going on holiday to Egypt because of them however as soon as we got to our hotel once, we decided to take a look around and were instantly welcomed into the perfume shop. They were only being friendly but they came across a bit over powering and we couldn't seem to escape them! They asked our names, where we came from... and offered the ladies in our group a 'free' pretty little perfume bottle. Despite their generosity over the next 2 weeks they kept nagging that we purchased some of their £60 (GB) perfume. By the end of the holiday we ended up buying 3 bottles of this perfume and also other things such as souvenirs, bags, shoes which we wanted to take home and by this point they did actually stop pestering us all the time but only because we'd given them our money!!

Unique Suggestions: This is the same in shops outside of hotels such as in Naama bay. BEWARE young girls do not go to Naama by yourself, I didn't even like taking my teenage daughter there whilst she was with myself and her dad. We did visit a shop in Soho Square though which sold papyrus paper and the man was so kind, he gave the ladies each a a book mark with their name written in Arabic and he knew we were only looking around but he didn't make any remarks as to what we should buy or how much things were. So I suppose some people are genuine!

Fun Alternatives: As soon as someone starts asking if you want to buy something say NO straight away. If you keep saying you're not sure or you'll come back they'll assume that means YES.

• Women's Travel

• Mara_2's Profile Photo

Naama Bay

by Mara_2 Updated Oct 5, 2010

I really do not know how to describe this incredible place!
    Just imagine a town made expecialy for turists, whitout anything original in it. I think it has been created as a shortminded paople imagine an arab city. Everything in it is fake.
    But this is the least. The worst are the majority of turists that pass time there. A really, really uneducated, unpolite, noisy, vulgar brunch. It's also incredibly hot and humid.

Unique Suggestions: But, one should really go and see, just to understand how it is.
    A visit there should be thougth about as a visit to a zoo. If you think it this way, you'll almost enjoy it!

Fun Alternatives: The alternative? Ohhh, there are pleanty of them!
    Firts of all, avoid living at night only, since the day begins early and it is by far more enjoyable!

You could go visit a St. Caterina monastery, take a camel ride, go snorkelling, go diving, but if you really want to experience a city (big word!), at least go to Old Sharm!

• clueless83's Profile Photo

"Free" gifts

by clueless83 Written Aug 17, 2010

We had been warned that there is no such thing as a free gift in Egypt.

I bought a couple of things from a nice man (see my shopping tip) and he DID give me a genuine free gift (i had already given him money for stuff I wanted so it was fine!).

When I was walking about Naama Bay, another shopkeeper sees my generic looking carrier bag and tells me that "I buy from his brother!" and tried to hand me a "free" bookmark. I'm pretty certain that this was neither a free gift, nor the other seller his brother.

Unique Suggestions: If you don't want hassle, just shake your head and politely refuse.

• Bargaining and shopping

by Heyokasun Written May 19, 2010

There are nowhere such bargaining masters like in Egypt. Perhaps you have euro, dollar currency with you and when you start converting, you are lost. After coming to the hotel room, where you can count in calm everything, you realized that you had overpaid. Egypt is poor country, that's why people try to earn money by using tricks on tourist. Maybe you think it is unfair because in your country there are the same prices for local and tourists. To avoid it try to learn some rules.

Unique Suggestions: Shopping in Old Market in Sharm can be very tiring and disappointing experience unless you follow several tips:

1. Never ever say you're in Egypt first time.
    2. If you're skin is naturally white and sun resistant (as mine), explained that to your seller... You'll big surprise on his face.
    3. Don't say where are you really come from... It's better to say some unknown places... They will be embarrassed and unable to use tricks on you.
    4. If you somehow told the truth about your nationality, don't believe that your seller was there and know your country, even if he says so...
    5. Don't show your seller what you're really interested in... Take the pose you don't need anything.
    6. Official prices are at least 50% higher.
    7. If you don't want to buy anything, don't look into sellers eyes, at goods, don't answer (don't say even "hello"), just go straight ahead.

If this is too stressful for you, forget about shopping, just relax, take an advantage of beautiful nature and tell the sellers you have already bought everything you need.

Fun Alternatives: If you failed and realized you have been overpaid, don't get angry. You had an adventure, another story to tell and warn the others. Next time you'll be smarter. It's like an initiation ceremony everyone has to follow. Just be happy from the goods and think that you're buyer luckily, not seller who has to feed his family by using tricks...!

• balramdass's Profile Photo

Taxi trap at Cruise port Sharm

by balramdass Written Jan 18, 2010

Hi All
    Just thought I would warn you about this trick that was played on us when we took a taxi from Cruise ship to Naama Bay.
    We walked to the taxi stand and I had a rough idea how much we should pay for the taxi.
    I had a quote from 2 drivers and I turned them down as their price was the equivelent of £10 for a 3 mile ride. Price was agreed with one driver at about 50 ( about £5)

I sat on the front and my wife at the back As we are driving the driver kept asking if he could take us other places, how long we are here for, gave me his card and said would show us around everywhere---a non stop atempt to use his service for the rest of the day.

Finally we arrive at our destination and I gave him 50 egyptian dollars (£5) and he said no its 50 AMERICAN DOLLARS we had agreed. I said we are in Egypt and here we wouild be expected to spend Egyptian pounds. He wouldnt have it. A heated exchange transpired. My wife noticing that it could get out of hand got out and took the number of the taxi. We were both out of the taxi and we were nose to nose with each other. Sparks were flying with obscene foul language. I stuck out for the 50 egyptian pounds and just walked away.

Hope this helps someone---DONT FALL FOR IT.
    Bal

• balramdass's Profile Photo

Taxi from Cruise ship to Naama Bay

by balramdass Written Jan 13, 2010

Hi All

Hope this helps someone---DONT FALL FOR IT.
    Bal

• Beware of Golden Bike Safari in Naama bay

by blackbirdsr71 Written Jan 3, 2010

We bought a tour to St Catherinemonastry at Golden Bike Safari in Naama bay close to the taxistand and payed half the fee. The next day when we waited to get picked up the bus, but it never came and I called the travelagency and they told us to wait another day because there wasn´t any tour, they sold a tour to us that didn`t exist!. I wanted my money back but they said they were to busy to pay me back, so I had to go to the touristpolice and get help to get the money back.

Unique Suggestions: If you get fooled, contact the touristpolice to get your money back.

• clueless83's Profile Photo

Small change

by clueless83 Written Dec 30, 2009

Wasn't quite sure where to put this but when in Egypt, small change is not so easy to come by so if you get hold of anything smaller than 20 LE try to keep hold of it for tips etc.

Fun Alternatives: The alternative to collecting 5LE and 10LE notes is to maybe change some of your money into US dollars before you go. We didn't do this as we didn't think it necessary but a couple we met on holiday tipped in dollars and paid a taxi driver in dollars, which he didn't seem to mind.

• Beaches

• Fantasia Sharm El Sheik

by Lizardos Written Nov 23, 2009

Fantasia is a new entertainment/shopping complex situated to the rear of the Aqua Park. BEWARE the "entrance fee" - we were told it was 25LE for two shows including a light show - one show starting at 10.00 the other at 11.00 - we thought this was excellent value until it transpired our ticket only covered the belly dancing show which started at 11.00. There is a further charge for the light/horse show which we were not prepared to pay - also another couple had been told there was food included in their ticket price. After some argument we were refunded our entrance fee. My advice, unless you especially want to see the shows is to give the place a miss.

Unique Suggestions: There are lots of shops outside the complex which are selling the usual tourist souvenirs.

Fun Alternatives: An alternative would definitely be a trip to the Old Market - much more fun and the shop keepers are far less aggressive than Naama Bay - cheaper too!

• Beware of perfume shops

by sarrah1 Written Jul 3, 2009

We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Hotel in March 2009. Fantastic hotel and while a bit pricey, definitely worth it and much less than a RC would be in most other parts of the world. Definitely recommend this hotel.

Anyway, we booked a trip to the pyramids with the tour arranger in the hotel, Raja Tours. This was a very easy way of seeing the sights, just be warned that you'll end up being dragged into a perfume shop, from which it is very difficult to escape without having to spend several hundred dollars on mediocre perfume. Don't let them take you there, it is a waste of time and money.

Unique Suggestions: Just do not go in the shop in the first place. The only good thing was that it was air conditioned!

Fun Alternatives: We were very sorry later that we did not look into doing a short Nile cruise, instead of wasting time in the perfume shop.

• Dont book trip to pyramids etc with hotel rep!

by AngieMc Written Jun 9, 2009

As usual all reps will offer various organised trips to see the Pyramids at Cairo, Luxor etc etc but having been shocked at the price declined. However in Naama Bay there are various travel agents, the one I used was within the large shopping complex, offering exactly the same trips much cheaper! My partner and my daughter decided to take the risk and book to see the Pyramids in 2008. Hotel rep wanted £179 each but we paid £110 so for 3 of us was a saving of over £200! It is an early start but mini bus picked us up at 4am and we could not believe when we realised hotel guests who had paid the full price were on the same flight etc! The guide we had was superb and we had a great day. However regardless who you book with have your wits about you at the airport as internal flights are a different matter, it is like a cattle market! Please note therefore that EVERY trip your rep offers you can be bought much cheaper in Naama Bay and is exactly the same!

• Museum Visits

• Old Sharm - be ready for lots of hassle

by john_AC Written May 8, 2009

We were recommended to go to Old Sharm by our tour rep to experience a more authentic side of Egypt life. The place is an absolute run down dump. If being hassled by hundreds of Arabic men appeals to you and also receiving death threats - yes, I was told "I'm going to ***ing kill you American", then this is the place for you. Incidentally I'm not an American, I'm Irish but thats besides the point. All of this if you manage to survive the taxi trip which will inevitably entail an immature Arabic man driving at ridiculously dangerous speeds in heavy traffic. So to sum up if you really want to experience authentic Egypt away from the horrible artificiality of Sharm resort, then this dump is for you !

• k-griffin07's Profile Photo

Pacha- fake note scam

by k-griffin07 Written Jun 9, 2008

Pacha Night club. They tell you that you were responsible for handing in a fake £20 note. They then ask for a real replacement. They will show you a clear fake and insist you were the one that handed it to them.

Unique Suggestions: Try and keep the same designed £20 notes. Dont give in to them, argue your honesty!!! Go to the counter in a group and not on your own. Dont come across to drunk, as they may take advantage. Ask to see management- as its likely it is a staff scam and not a company scam.

• Music

• ukmagicman's Profile Photo

Bedouin Gifts - especially bracelets

by ukmagicman Updated Jan 2, 2008

Bedouin Selling Tea

Bedouins are muslims and speak an arabic dialect. Most of the Bedouins from the Sinai and Negev desert have come from the Arabian peninsula, other migrated from the desert of Egypt, Transjordan and Syria.

In the Sinai area, they have learnt how to make huge sums of money from tourists through organizing camel rides, dinners, ATV rides etc and are not hoarding vast amounts of cash as a result.

When you go on for example a Bedouin camel ride, they will try and give you a bracelet at the end. They tie it very tight and then ask for a about $4. They are very pushy about this and make it seem initially like it is a gift. You will already have paid enough for the camel ride, so if you are offered this and don't want to cart back a bracelet you will throw away, then just say No.

Unique Suggestions: Take a camel ride, it is an experience

• Desert
    • Hiking and Walking

Instant Answers: Sharm El Sheikh

Comments

Sharm El Sheikh Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of Sharm El Sheikh tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sharm El Sheikh sightseeing.

View all Sharm El Sheikh hotels