Sharm El Sheikh Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by bonio
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by bonio
    simbiotic pair: anemone and anemone fish
    by om_212

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Sharm El Sheikh

• jayjay19's Profile Photo

Beware - perfume shop - Naama Bay

by jayjay19 Written Nov 5, 2007

This is a warning to beware of a certain perfume shop in Naama Bay. As we were walking back to our hotel one night after our evening meal we were approached by a young man who asked us to visit the perfume shop. He asked us to just take a look, as they usually do, and we don't need to buy. As we were thinking of perfumes as gifts we went in. We were passed over to an older man who I think was his father, as he knew more about the perfumes. We were shown a few and shown different sizes of bottles all of which was too big. When we said we needed a few but just small ones, he said that we should take a bigger one and divide it up when we got home. I said that was no use and we might take something else as gifts instead. The man became angry and said we had wasted his time and all Scottish and English people are Shi-s. Missed out a letter as I don't know if it is ok to swear on here.We were very offended. The shop was very near the Naama Bay Casino (it looks like a ship)at the end of the prominade. The shop is called Palazzo Di Profumi - BEWARE -

• Beaches
    • Luxury Travel

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

Egyptian Money

by kayleigh06 Updated Sep 24, 2007

First of all I never knew whether to put this as a 'Warning or Danger' tip or a 'General' tip.

The Egytian money is very old and has been in circulation for some number of years. This makes the money very dirty and you should always be careful after handling the money. You should always carry some kind of wipes around to ensure you don't get any infections or the like. I was warned about this by my Dad who had been to Luxor several months before and was warned about it by the people in his hotel. He stressed to me a lot as I bite my nails all the time and was worried I would handle the money then bite my nails.

It also advisable when you are out and you have had money in your hands and then you're about to eat, you should just quickly run off and clean your hands or if you do have and cleaning wipes or something similar use them.

• mtcowgirl's Profile Photo

Aquatic Souvenirs

by mtcowgirl Written Jun 24, 2007

Short and simple, don't purchase aquatic souvenirs. The export of such souvenirs is illegal and any aquatic souvenirs found will be seized at the airport upon departure. You also will face fines if you are found with any prohibited items upon departure.

Even taking shells from the beach is prohibited!!! Make sure the little ones are stashing treasures in your luggage :)

Keep the diving motto in mind "Take nothing and leave nothing but bubbles"!

• TONY786's Profile Photo

forceful sellers

by TONY786 Written Jun 6, 2007

to avoid the sellers outside shops who go ott to get you in the shop avoid eye contact and dont speak look sternley at them ignore them dont smile no need to be polite any sign of weakness and they will mither you to death dont do the polite " no thank you" as they will be after you dont speak , look or pick up anything. I asked the prices of sunglasses a cheap pair for the quad bike trip in the desert expected 100 egp got took into a back room , door closed and two men asked for 500 egp sat at the doorway very intimidating , I am 6ft tll and 21 stone and made them an offer they could not refuse open the door or else, but more timid amongst you will pay up i assure you,travel to cairo and get ripped off again but not as much as sharm they really take the mick

• Kaysta's Profile Photo

Avoid going to quiet places on your own!

by Kaysta Updated May 15, 2007

I love Egypt and the people. The only scare i had whilst i was there was that i went to the ladies toilet, in what looked like a shopping centre (it looked closed) but i got told to go here whilst i was in a Bedouin tent in Naama Bay.

I was in the toilet and i found a man in there cleaning, i was going to go out and he said 'No, come' so i did, thinking he would go out of the toilet until i had finished. I quickly went to the toilet and he was still there. I went to wash my hands and he put his hands on around me directing me where my hands were to go and he continued to do this and handed me paper, i tried to shrugg him off and took the paper off him, he put his hands around me and onto my breasts then tried to kiss me. I pulled away and ran off! I couldn't believe it! It happened really fast and was a bit shocked to be honest. It was only when i was out of the centre that i realised what had happened. Since that i never went alone, i made sure someone went with me or was close by.

Especially ladies or children - don't go on your own in public places. It was the only problem i had. Everywhere we go there is always someone thats not too pleasent. Just be careful!

• Spa and Resort

~ Weather ~

by Heavens-Mirror Updated May 15, 2007

~ Ouch Gaz's sunburn on his waist ~

The weather in Egypt is hot and dry all year round. Although i would avoid travelling to Egypt in the months of July and August as it hits temperatures of over 40 degrees celcius. I have been there in August and trust me it was far too hot and humid.

But i would highly recommend Egypt all year round apart from these two months as it is a guaranteed sunshine destination what ever time of year you go and is very popular during the UK winter months.

I would also recommend a high factor sun tan lotion, when Gaz and i went in March it was lovely and warm and not too hot but we still managed to get a little bit sun burned due to the nice breeze from the Red Sea.... so be extra careful and make sure you keep reapplying plenty of lotion and get a sunblock if your taking children.

~ Scuba Diving ~

by Heavens-Mirror Written May 15, 2007

~ Scuba diving ~

If you are planning on going scuba diving in Sharm it is highly recommended to have a full medical examination in resort, this may be charged at an additional cost with the diving company. Also make sure you see your doctor before going on holiday to make sure you are fit and well to dive.

It is dangerous to fly less than 24 hours after scuba diving, due to changes in pressure which may result in illness or a more severe case of being paralysed. Please dont let this put you off diving but make sure you are aware of the dangers.

I recommend you take out extra insurance to cover your scuba diving course, most insurance policies cover you for up to 30 metres if you are a qualified diver, or as a beginner accompanied with a qualified dive instructor. You will not be covered if you dive alone. Make sure you check with your insurance company because it is so important in case anything does happen. I cannot stress to you how important insurance is when doing hazardous sports.

~ Visa On Arrival ~

by Heavens-Mirror Updated May 15, 2007

~ Passports ~

If you are a UK citizen and hold a UK passport you do not need a tourist visa of around £20 or $15 US Dollars. We were made to buy one at Sharm El Sheikh airport only to be told by our rep that we didnt need one unless we were going on excursions to Cairo or Luxor.

Any foreign visitors who are unsure if they need a visa must check with the Egyptian Consulate before travelling. Dont be tricked into buying one at Sharm airport like we did. Also if you have an Israel stamp in your passport you will need to inform the Consulate before arranging travel to Egypt.

• Religion

by wgjedrem Written Jan 20, 2007

Remember that most of the population in Sharm is muslims. This means they see some things in a different cultural perspective than christians would do. Therefor I recommend everyone that is planning a trip to Sharm read about these differences before they leave home.

This is for not creating any unexpected situations for either the locals or us tourists.

(dress code, language, etc.)

• PIFFLE's Profile Photo

People wanting money

by PIFFLE Written Sep 16, 2006

Without wanting to make you think twice about this place, tipping of this kind happens everywhere.

The moment we landed i was approached in the toilet of all places. A local guy introduced himself and seemed friendly enough until he said do you have any money and held his hand out. I said firmly i dont and proceeded to walk out. Ive heard that alot of airport workers dont get paid alot if any at all and so getting the odd £1 out of someone means alot to them. 5 or 6 flights a day is a lucative making for them. the last thing you want after a 5 hour flight is someone asking for money.

Baggage handlers are also like this they take the cases off you and put their hands out. usually in their hands are the coins which they want to be tipped in it pounds or euros.
    We paid the guy as this was new to us and wanted to make sure our luggage got to our hotel on the same bus as us.

• fake taxis

by jennysno7 Written Sep 3, 2006

Hi I was with my husband and 12 year old child girl and we had just finished shopping in Old Sharm. Much to our foolishness we agreed to accept the offer of a 'taxi' from somebody who claimed to be one of the shopkeeper's sons. We told him our destination and he said that his taxi was much better than the old beaten up blue and white Peugots that you see everywhere. His car was a Hyundai and within minutes he stopped and another man entered the car. It soon became apparent that things were not right as they were both assessing us constantly and asking intrusive questions. They were preoccupied with my mobile which is a top of the range Sony Erricson and they appeared to be leering at me and my daughter. Alarm bells really began to ring when they left the main road and attempted to take us down a very dark slip road. Fortunately we sensed that things were not right and when we stopped at a security checkpoint we all bailed out of the car and made a run for it. Some people may suggest that our fears were unfounded but on reflection I would strongly recommend that you do NOT get into any car unless it is a registered taxi and ideally the Peugot I have described. We were extremely frightened by the incident and feel that we let ourselves down as we have always advised our children never to speak to strangers and never to enter a stranger's car. Believe me our instincts saved us from something very nasty happening and I cannot stress how careful you should be. I believe that there are good and bad everywhere in the world so stick to your common sense and if in doubt never take the risk which is so easy when you are in the holiday spirit. Best wishes Jenny

• miman's Profile Photo

Sharm el-Sheikh attacks

by miman Written Aug 11, 2006

The 2005 Sharm el-Sheikh attacks were a series of bomb attacks on July 23, 2005, targeting the Egyptian resort city of Sharm el-Sheikh, located on the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula. Eighty-eight people were killed and over 150 were wounded by the blasts, making the attack the deadliest terrorist action in the country's history. The bombing coincided with Egypt's Revolution Day, which commemorates Nasser's 1952 overthrow of King Farouk. The attacks took place in the early morning hours, at a time when many tourists and locals were still out at restaurants, cafés and bars. The first bomb blast, at 01:15 local time, was reported in a market in downtown Sharm; shortly after, another was reported to have hit the Ghazala Gardens hotel, a 176-room four-star establishment in the Naama Bay area, a strip of beachfront hotels some 6 km from the town centre. The blasts were powerful, shaking windows miles away. Fire and smoke could be seen rising from the explosion sites. While the official government toll a few days after the blast was put at 64, hospitals reported that 88 people had been killed in the bombings. The majority of dead and wounded casualties were Egyptians. Among those killed were 11 Britons, two Germans, one Czech, six Italians, one Israeli, and one American. Other casualties, dead and wounded, included foreign visitors from France, Kuwait, the Netherlands, Qatar, Russia, and Spain.

• davloc's Profile Photo

Tips, shops and trips... Just back on Aug 4...

by davloc Written Aug 5, 2006

Hello folks!

I read the advice. I took the trip. Now I need to vent.

I am an American and have traveled to many places. I have been hassled by touts and people who wanted my tourist dollars in many places. I always try to be as polite as possible and understand that people are trying to make a living and life is tough in their country. I also have met a number of very nice Egyptians.
    Having said that, I have never run into a more parasitical bunch of people in my life. I tried being polite. I used my family for various excuses to skip around Na'ama Bay, but even no thank you and la'a shakran did not work. The absolute worst was the trip to Cairo and the tip feeding frenzy there. Considering how big the pyramids are, this was an amazing thing. The security people, in white, try to keep people off the pyramids, except in the one place I saw with stairs. But, they will let you up for a price. The camel riders would offer a "free" picture and then would try and get you on their camel. One man even told me I needed a ticket for one area and he would show me around. No part of no thank you got rid of him and he was even yelling at me when I flat out told him I did not need or want his service and he would get no money from me.
    Considering I took the bus and it was extremely hot, and was tired these were the last people I needed to see.
    It may have just been that this is during the high tourist season, but all things considered, except for the antiquities and the snorkeling, I would have just as easily gone somewhere else.
    Loved the swimming, loved the fish, loved the restaurant people at my resort and the guy at reception. The places where tips were built in, like my restaurant, were very nice. I would have paid a fee to avoid the aggrevation.
    If you go to the pyramids, take pictures from as far away from an Egypatian as possible. Walk around the side towards the Solar boat museum.
    Thanks for the vent...

• tissie's Profile Photo

Terror Target?

by tissie Updated Jun 8, 2006

Sharm El Sheikh and the whole of the region has been the subject of several terrorist attacks recently. IMHO this should not put you off visiting the area (see www.fco.gov.uk for up to date travel advice).

You will find levels of security very high ( police and guards in all hotel lobbies, security guards on organised excursions, checkpoints on roads) and although this feels strange at first it is actually reassuring. The country relies heavily on tourism and is making great efforts to make sure tourists are safe.

If you are planning to travel about the area independently you will need to check the procedures for entering the desert etc and be more vigilant and sensible than you might usually be on holiday but that's no bad thing anyway!

Go for it and have a great time.

• Beaches
    • Diving and Snorkeling
    • Desert

• JuliaF's Profile Photo

Hassle

by JuliaF Written Mar 19, 2006

Some of the traders can be a bit pushy and extremely persistant, and could offend someone. I wouldn't recommend getting stroppy with them as they could get nasty. I found just by being poliet but firm, they accept this and move on to the next person.

Instant Answers: Sharm El Sheikh

Comments

Sharm El Sheikh Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Sharm El Sheikh warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sharm El Sheikh sightseeing.

View all Sharm El Sheikh hotels