Sharm El Sheikh Warnings and Dangers

• Warnings and Dangers
    by bonio
  • Warnings and Dangers
    by bonio
    simbiotic pair: anemone and anemone fish
    by om_212

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Sharm El Sheikh

Lion Fish

Lion Fish

There are a few of these little beauties in the Red Sea. We saw about 4 , one of which was on the steps of our jetty and we couldnt get out the water! good job the kids can tread water!
    Lion Fish sting you with their dorsel fins which have spines in them. They can be deadly, so be careful.

Also very nasty fish to watch out for are stonefish nd coneshells. Get a good book and research before you go!

• Tripack's Profile Photo

Beware of strong current!

by Tripack Updated Sep 7, 2005

Copyright Hawaiian Lifeguard

The current could be quite strong @ your Red Sea divespot.

Always enquire the sea condition before to swim or dive. Agree with the boat captain the pickup point after your dive to avoid to be lost in the middle of nowhere.

Never try to swim against a strong current. You will easily tire and soon be exhausted. To get out of a current swim straight across it or diagonally across it.

~ Visa On Arrival ~

by Heavens-Mirror Updated May 15, 2007

~ Passports ~

If you are a UK citizen and hold a UK passport you do not need a tourist visa of around £20 or $15 US Dollars. We were made to buy one at Sharm El Sheikh airport only to be told by our rep that we didnt need one unless we were going on excursions to Cairo or Luxor.

Any foreign visitors who are unsure if they need a visa must check with the Egyptian Consulate before travelling. Dont be tricked into buying one at Sharm airport like we did. Also if you have an Israel stamp in your passport you will need to inform the Consulate before arranging travel to Egypt.

• Good Chemist/pharmacist if you need one!!

by Tigergambit Written Aug 16, 2005

I was unfortunate enough to get stung by coral whilst in Sharm. Not dreadfully painful at the time(short lived nettle sting) but 24 hours later it had come up rather alarmingly. There is a pharmacist on King of Bahrain Street called Omar & Omar who were knowledgeable and tremendously helpful and sold me some excellent anti-inflammatory/anti-histamine cream.

(Also the only place we could find tampons, but take these with you as they're expensive!!)

Situated near the Daneer Steakhouse on the same side of the road. Open 9am - 3am.

~ Scuba Diving ~

by Heavens-Mirror Written May 15, 2007

~ Scuba diving ~

If you are planning on going scuba diving in Sharm it is highly recommended to have a full medical examination in resort, this may be charged at an additional cost with the diving company. Also make sure you see your doctor before going on holiday to make sure you are fit and well to dive.

It is dangerous to fly less than 24 hours after scuba diving, due to changes in pressure which may result in illness or a more severe case of being paralysed. Please dont let this put you off diving but make sure you are aware of the dangers.

I recommend you take out extra insurance to cover your scuba diving course, most insurance policies cover you for up to 30 metres if you are a qualified diver, or as a beginner accompanied with a qualified dive instructor. You will not be covered if you dive alone. Make sure you check with your insurance company because it is so important in case anything does happen. I cannot stress to you how important insurance is when doing hazardous sports.

• LisaMJ's Profile Photo

Be aware at the airport!

by LisaMJ Written Jun 1, 2005

Sharm El Sheikh airport

We did the day trip to Cairo by air, and arrived at the airport at appx. 6am.

There were approximately 6 other flights leaving the domestic terminal within an hour of eachother, all going to either Cairo or Luxor.

There is a screen in the departure lounge (which was packed so full that you were lucky to get somewhere to sit), but the screen doesn't say 'boarding' or 'closing'. It simply lists the flight number, departure time, and destination.

This led to such confusion.....there was no P.A system to announce which flight was boarding; it was simply a memeber of the airport staff shouting out the flight number once. As you can imagine, most people couldn''t hear this with the lounge being so full. When it got to 30 mins before our flight, we asked if our flight had been called. "Yes Yes!!!" was the answer, and we were hurried onto the coach to take us to the aircraft. It seems we weren't alone in our confusion, because several other tourists boarded about 10 minutes after we had.

So if you are doing any kind of trip which sees you depart from the domestic terminal - keep your ears open!

The same applies on the return. We were told our flight was delayed until 8pm. About 6.45pm, we saw some familiar faces from the flight out queuing for a bus out of the departure lounge. It turned out our flight was boarding! The screen still showed the flight as delayed, and it was only chance that we recognised someone from the morning flight. We got on the aircraft and took off at 7.20pm.

If we hadn't been looking out, we would have missed the flight, and presumably had to spend the night in Cairo with no supplies - so make sure you keep alert at the airport!

Rest assured though, that the international departures are alot more smooth running, with regularly updated screens and announcements over a P.A system.

~ Weather ~

by Heavens-Mirror Updated May 15, 2007

~ Ouch Gaz's sunburn on his waist ~

The weather in Egypt is hot and dry all year round. Although i would avoid travelling to Egypt in the months of July and August as it hits temperatures of over 40 degrees celcius. I have been there in August and trust me it was far too hot and humid.

But i would highly recommend Egypt all year round apart from these two months as it is a guaranteed sunshine destination what ever time of year you go and is very popular during the UK winter months.

I would also recommend a high factor sun tan lotion, when Gaz and i went in March it was lovely and warm and not too hot but we still managed to get a little bit sun burned due to the nice breeze from the Red Sea.... so be extra careful and make sure you keep reapplying plenty of lotion and get a sunblock if your taking children.

Dehydration

Always thirsty

Please make sure you drink plenty of water. We took Dyralitebut needed friends to bring us out some more. It is very hot, and we dont drink enough water at the best of times! I have been told though, by a local chemist,you can put a teaspoon of salt in a can of fanta and it does the same thing! ,

Fire Coral

by joolssss Written Mar 8, 2005

fire coral or stinging corl

Sometimes known as stinging coral. It does feel like a stinging nettle sting if you touch one and it can give you a bit of a rash, not deadly but far from pleasant. ( Not that you should be touching coral, anyway!) I suggest you get a book to look these nasties up, a great book i got was
    REEF FISHES AND CORALS OF THE RED SEA by Pete Harrison and Alex Misiewicz ,
    it is available from amazon if I remember correctly

• Capisco's Profile Photo

Taxi's Fares

by Capisco Updated Sep 21, 2005

Taxi Fare Ticket

Taxi's in Sharm El Sheikh will try to ask you for alot of money even though a certain ticket from the government is on the taxi .
    So take care only pay like that ticket says i took a photo for the ticket for all of you to see and know it .
    If he asked for more just tell him that the police asked you to pay only like on the ticket.
    If you need to know some certain words to say in that situation in Arabic just drop me a message on VT

• SabrinaSummerville's Profile Photo

Fleeced by Beautician

by SabrinaSummerville Written Jan 19, 2006

In Sharm on my most recent trip I needed to get the roots of my hair coloured and decided to use the hairdresser in the hotel. I was travelling with my elderly Mother and she said she'd get her hair done, also.

They took Mum first as her hair is short. When she was finished she sat waiting for me. A beautician from the concession next door came in and started doing something to mum's face. To me it looked as if she was massaging it and rubbingh in cream. I thought "How nice, they are looking after the elderly lady". In Egypt in general I find people very respectful of older folk.

When they rinsed the colour out of my hair they explained to me that they could not blow dry it as it would alter the colour, and I was satisfied with this. However, at this point the hairdresser produced a spool of thick white thread and, without asking, started to use it to shape my eyebrows and give me what he called an Egyptian facial. It transpired that this was what the beautician had done to Mum. It hurt so much that I started crying and asked him to stop. He did not stop until I asked him several times.

I stood up to leave and asked what my bill was. Here in Ireland my local hairdresser charges €40.00 for colouring my roots. This guy charged me €130.00!!!!!! He said that this included a charge for the unrequested "facial." I was so shocked that I just paid up and left. My Mum had to pay €90.00.

Never again! Be wary of anyone offering you what appears to be a free additional service.

• Spa and Resort
    • Business Travel

• kayleigh06's Profile Photo

'la shokran'

by kayleigh06 Updated Dec 20, 2007

If you happen to be out and about and they come up to you and ask you your name, if you tell them they will take this as an oppurtunity to invite you into their shop, if you don't want no further questions or don't want to go into that shop at that particular time then in a firm and friendly mannner say 'la shokran' which means no thanks

• Lilmagic's Profile Photo

Don't make false promises

by Lilmagic Updated May 13, 2004

When the local traders try to persuade you 'sign their guest book' or 'come, I give you my card to make good name for my family in your country' DO NOT tell them you will come another day, but not today. They WILL remember you and every time you walk past they will insist you promised and must keep your promises. So, if you don't wish to spend the next hour or two trying to avoid buying whatever it is they are selling then it's better just to say 'no thank you' and walk away.

They can be very very persistent, but they will give up and move on if you stand your ground.

• Minashka's Profile Photo

Not enough fresh water

by Minashka Written Feb 12, 2005

Water bottling

Just wanna warn the travelers about the fresh water shortage in Egypt. Make sure to buy bottled water only. And if you're in a restaurant, make sure they open the bottle in front of you, do not order water in a glass. Sometimes the fruits may not be washed with fresh water, so will give you a definite stomach ache! Better to eat fruit salad or peeled off fruits. Just watch your stomach for the first days of your travel - is my recommendation :)))

• School Holidays

• beccyandjohn's Profile Photo

Beware of the sea

by beccyandjohn Updated Feb 7, 2006

not sure what they do to you,

It may look nice with the fish but some are not very nice also some of the coral too. I got a rash the first day i went in from either a passing fish or some coral , and when your on the jetty use the stairs because the fish in the picture hides underneath and is not very friendly if approached.

Instant Answers: Sharm El Sheikh

Comments

Sharm El Sheikh Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Sharm El Sheikh warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Sharm El Sheikh sightseeing.

View all Sharm El Sheikh hotels