Siwa Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Siwa

Desert Safari 7

by travelife Updated Jun 25, 2005

desert sunset

Our third leg of safari is to see the desert sunset. The picture gives you a feel how it looks like but you cannot really feel it unless you are there. You have to experience the sunset in the surrounding sand. Spectacular. This came out as the best shot of the day!

Desert Safari 4

by travelife Updated Jun 14, 2005

spring

Most of the folks have already finished swimming but Khalid who studies in Chemical Engineering was trying to get the most as he could.

Notably the spring is bound and the excess is drained into the nearby big lake. Interesting to see that the spring water gives life to so many plants and trees but those date trees just by the spring is dying out not getting access to water.

Desert Safari 6

by travelife Updated Jun 11, 2005

coral fossil

The next stop was at a place where we found a large collection of fossil. Cannot say exactly when (perhaps thousands / millions)this part of the desert was under the sea and still there are pieces of oyester shell around. The structure I am standing under is perhaps a part of coral reef. I made a mistake or just did not remember to bring a piece of this pre-historic fossils. I guess you should break a piece and carry a smaller piece with you as a souvenir. Didn feel it was a protected / scarce resource.

Desert Evening 8

by travelife Written Jun 8, 2005

Siwan society, understandably more conservative than the Egyptian main stream society. For that obvious reason, its the man who takes up the job of dancing. This is, by the way not similar to 'Sufi' dancing.

Desert Evening 3

by travelife Updated Jun 8, 2005

After the dinner Ibrahim who turned out to be the host of the evening entertained us with his instrument and Berber vocal. I of course did not understand but his expert fingures were making wonderful tune.

Desert Evening 2

by travelife Updated Jun 8, 2005

There were some seem to be permanent tents to be rented to tourists. Inside one of them we had sleeping arrangement there were blanket. But I would recomment to bring your own sleeping bag to sleep healthy.

Desert Evening 1

fire

The 4WDs stopped at this place where we had fun a little with the bon-fire. This Candaian guy signed up only for the tour and he is on his way back to siwa town. Honestly I had to wait another two hours to have the dinner. Was starving already.

Desert Safari 5

by travelife Updated Jun 8, 2005

We came at a point where we are supposed to see and appreciate the beauty of sand. It is beautiful, first time in my life to be in the desert, touching the sand and feeling it all I could. Floks were going down the sand hill but had a hard time to come over and many of them just exhausted. Shall I say thank God. I was thinking of not getting too exhausted as I was for obvious reason knew that sleeping cleaning and sleeping arrangement wont be that good and the following day I already made plan.

Desert Safari 3

by travelife Updated Jun 8, 2005

While we were waiting, I was offered a cup of tea, common Arabic hospitality tho I am not a fan of it, I rather prefer just water. Neaby the chauffer were talking among themselves. As usual I was mistaken as Arabic speaker and in broken English, Ibrahim, the chauffer of my 4WD, told me, it would have been nice if I could speak Arabic and I should give it a try.

Desert Safari 2

by travelife Updated Jun 8, 2005

The safari included visiting quite a few sites and the desert spring being the first leg of the tour. There we had a shade and sat on the mat since it was really hot just to see the people taking a swim in the pool. Go for it as it seemed to be really fun but and cool yourself down. You can also feed the fishes in the spring.

Desert Safari 1

by travelife Updated Jun 8, 2005

In the first evening I came to know several dozen of students from the University of Alexandria who were on a holiday. Instead of being with distinctive tourists, I decided to join them in desert safari the following day and get a better use of time.

I also signed up for the dinner in the desert and sleeping in the tent but since it was not that comfortable I wont recommend it unless you are really adventurous and you are in a group.

• wwroam's Profile Photo

The Desert Swimming Hole

by wwroam Written Mar 17, 2006

most of the 4WD trips stop off at this great little spot for lunch and a swim. Saw more visitors here than in the previous 24 hours.

Desert Evening 4

by travelife Updated Jun 12, 2005

Mostly the chauffers and the people who maintain the tents joined the chorus sometimes. Notably, the Egyptian students could not join since they speak only Arabic. And the performance was in Berber.

Desert Evening 7

by travelife Written Jun 8, 2005

At some point one of the Berber guys started dancing with the tune. Perhaps it was part of his job to entertain us.

Desert Evening 5

by travelife Updated Jun 8, 2005

While Ibrahim was performing folk were on their way making jokes or / and smoking shisha. Something addictive was mixed with the shisha. Can't remember what it was.

Instant Answers: Siwa

Comments

Siwa Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Siwa off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Siwa sightseeing.