Al Karnak Local Customs

by Kuznetsov_Sergey
    by Kuznetsov_Sergey

Most Recent Local Customs in Al Karnak

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

How to solve a love problem

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Written Jun 19, 2007

Scarab - How to solve love a problem

The scarab was relocated to the lake's western side not far ago in order to make more space for the influx of tourists inside the temple. Local guides tell tourists as a local custom that if one walks around the scarab seven times, he or she will never again have love problems! So it is common to see the tourists making laps around the scarab.

I’ve seen a lot of them. I didn’t know this custom then but I understood that if they were making laps it was useful for something. I’ve made only one lap. Later I’ve got to know I should make seven laps. May be by that reason I haven’t noticed any changes in solving my love problems if I ever had any…

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

Visiting Mosques

by aliante1981 Written Jan 7, 2004

Many Asian and African countries, including Egypt, are predominantly Muslim, so the religious sites you are most likely to encounter, are, predictably, mosques. This is a brief tip of advice, written from the point of view of a non-Muslim, female traveler (yours truly!!!):

- Do dress modestly, covering arms, legs, shoulders and the like, no frivolous dressing will be allowed. Hire the modest dress if needed;

- Check whether you are allowed into the mosque at all, since most of them admit you only into the courtyard, and some do not admit non-Muslims at all. However, in several countries you may be able to visit the interiors of many mosques;

- Respect the boundaries laid and do not attempt to enter further (I saw such a thing once, and it did arouse ill-feeling);

- If possible try to avoid going even to the courtyard on Friday afternoon, since I remember this is the most important praying time of the week;

- If you are curious, feel free to ask questions (though not of people hurrying to pray) and most likely you will be answered: Iýve always found people proud of their culture and heritage and ready to explain it;

- Do not criticize things we in Europe and in the West might (such as separate praying space for men and women), for such are the customs of the land and mosques are the least appropriate places for such topics.

This advice is based only on common sense, but it allowed me to see something of the mosques and learn loads of interesting info on Muslim countries, their religion, and culture. Really helped me when we had a general education class on religions at University:))

• aliante1981's Profile Photo

Two Kinds of Temples

by aliante1981 Written Jan 7, 2004

As far as I could learn, there used to be two kinds of religious temples in the Ancient Egypt: different in some things, and very much alike in others. These were the funerary temples and the cult temples. The titles show the use of each kind plainly enough. The main purpose of the so-called ‘cult temples’ was to venerate the gods and their son, the pharaoh, while the son was still alive. The funerary temples do the same, but only when the pharaoh’s dead and buried often in the temple itself.

Instant Answers: Al Karnak

Comments

Al Karnak Local Customs

Reviews and photos of Al Karnak local customs posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Al Karnak sightseeing.