Luxor What to Pack

• Photos taken with Galaxy s11 Luxor Temple
    Photos taken with Galaxy s11 Luxor...
  • What to Pack
    Sofitel Karnak pool

Most Recent What to Pack in Luxor

• Dannyfab67's Profile Photo

Hygiene on Your Hols

by Dannyfab67 Written Oct 9, 2012

Photos taken with Galaxy s11 Luxor Temple

Luggage and bags: One case & a rucksack should be enough

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Ideal clothing we took was linen shirts & Shorts cool for hot days & Cotton Tshirts. We also packed long linen trousers for evening out to restaurants as keeping covered up in a Muslim country shows respect to the Locals. We also took a pair of flip flops for the evenings & for wandering around luxors amazing ruins & tombs we took closed toe well soled sandals for comfort. I shave my head so took a few bandanas to protect me from burning & we also both took a panama each.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: The most important toiletries you can take outside of the standard are Hand Cleaning gel which should be used every time you handle banknotes or money as this is what carries the most risk of upset stomachs which will ruin what should be an amazing holiday. We also took wipes. We had no experience of mossies & didnt use our spray once in 2 weeks. We did however buy some Antinal tablets 24 tabs for ep2 20p english, A life saver if you do get an upset stomach & better than anything you get from Uk.

Photo Equipment: I being the idiot I am at 2am left my Fujifilm HS10 with 30 times zoom at home. I did however have my samsung Galaxy s11 phone with its 8mp camera & every photo you see on here was taken with that phone. I took 800 ish photos all wonderful as you can see. I also bought a sim from the Vodaphone shop in Television street for Equiv £20 included 2gb of internet & 1000 mins to call local numbers. I used the internet mainly for tethering my android tablet for reading trip advisor & about places to visit.

• Luxury Travel

• Kuznetsov_Sergey's Profile Photo

As much photo and video as possible!

by Kuznetsov_Sergey Updated Jul 19, 2007

Photo-camera, phone, beer...

Luggage and bags: Don't forget to put 1 or 2 Gb memory card in your camera. Don't forget as many video cassettes as you may put in your bag. Don't forget to put money on your mobile telephone. Don't forget bathing suits and slips. Buy a bottle of "Sachara" beer.
    Don't forget money and you will buy additional memory, videocassettes, bathing suits, slips, beer and make your phone alive...

• Cruise

• Kaysta's Profile Photo

Hot stuff in Luxor!!

by Kaysta Written Apr 2, 2007

The view over Luxor from Al-Deir Al-Bahari Temple

Luggage and bags: I'd carry a rucksack to have plenty of bottled water - there was two of us and i took 6 and it was gone by 3 pm that day. Take plenty of bottled water. Also carry medical supplies, extra clothing, you have to take your passport, money etc. I'd recommend that you take some form of alcohol gel (anti-bacteria hand wash) and wash your hands requently, especially prior to food.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: T-shirt and shoes. It is so hot in luxor, a lot hotter than Cairo and Sharm. I wore a t-shirt to cover my shoulders, shorts and a hat to protect my face and neck. Please don't forget a hat! It will help you get a sun stroke...it's SO hot here.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Toilet paper! I would also recommend you take any medical supplies with you...a small first aid kit with all the essentials if possible. I didn't see any shops where we visited that had any medical equipment, but i'm sure if needed they would be. I also took Dyralite, which you need as you are in the sun a lot, most of the sites are in the valleys, so it is very hot. I'd also take any medication you are taking as i was away from the hotel just over 24 hrs. I also took basic things like paracetamol and immodium (a must in Egypt).

Photo Equipment: A lot of memory - I took a 2GB memory card, depending what megapixel you use (i used 3) it would be more than enough.

• Desert
    • Architecture

• CandS's Profile Photo

Packing...

by CandS Updated Aug 31, 2006

Near Luxor

Luggage and bags: Take a small bag pack with you for day trips...you will want/need something to put your bottled water in...as well as your camera and anything you might buy during the day... It's safer to keep your camera in your bag when you're not using it too.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Take good walking shoes...you will walk a lot! And also take some comfortable cool clothes for the hot weather you'll almost definitely get there...

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Take plenty of sunscreen...you will need it and the sun in Egypt bites quickly, even very early in the morning!! Also take some toilet paper where ever you go...most likely you'll need it... ;)

Photo Equipment: Take heaps of film or memory cards for your camera...you will need it!!

• Adventure Travel
    • Photography

• Lots of stuff to include

by JLEgypt Written May 24, 2006

Luggage and bags: A good comfortable rucksack or day bag with a shoulder strap. As many others have said before me take as much water as you can. Bottled water is cheap to buy. We were paying around 60p for a 1.5 litre bottle of water at our hotel so not too bad.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A wide brimmed hat and comfortable broken in walking shoes or trainers are a necessity. Light and loose clothing is ideal. You will sweat more than you realise because the humidity is low your moisture loss is not so noticiable.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Sunscreens varying sunfactors are useful. One we had from Boots in the UK had a "built in" mosquito repellant. Tablets like Paracetemol, Ibuprofen, anti histamines (if you get mosquito bites). Neither myself or my wife were bitten so it is not a huge problem. Tea tree oil (melaleuca oil) is very good to put on any bites.
    Anti bacterial wipes or antibacterial gel is very useful for freshening up when you are out. A lot of the Egyptian money is very dirty and if you are handling this it is advisable to give yourself a quick wipe over. A toilet roll or 2 can prove very useful to have with you.

I had to call the doctor due to stomach and abdominal pains and my only regret was not doing so sooner. I did this through the hotel reception and the doctor arrived within 10 minutes. I had a thorough examination and he wrote a prescription (3 items which cost £6,50). The cost of the call out was £31but worth every penny as I was back on my feet the next day. So dont suffer too long.

Photo Equipment: I found a lot of trouble seeing the view screen of my digital camera as the sun was so intense. I didnt find away around this other than looking through the viewfinder. Take as much digital memory as you can so that you can shoot pictures on the highest ratings for your camera.

Miscellaneous: Have fun it is really a great place to visit.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Good Books on Egypt

by atufft Written Apr 10, 2006

Great History of the Dynasties

Miscellaneous: Advanced Reading has big advantages over reading after the vacation is over, particulary for Egypt. These books are very useful for putting things into perspective before browsing the ruins and tombs of Luxor and the West Bank. More books are recommended for the my packing list for Egypt in general, but these are essential for Luxor.

• Architecture

• Janani's Profile Photo

Luxor Packing

by Janani Updated Apr 10, 2006

Luxor: A Guide to Ancient Thebes

Luggage and bags: You will want to carry around plenty of water with you, so make sure your bag is not only roomy enough for this but that it's strong enough to hold a couple of 1.5 litre bottles too, in case you don't want to interrupt your sightseeing to find any.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: It goes without saying that you will be glad of sunglasses and a wide brimmed hat, as not only is the sun itself blindingly bright here, the reflection from the sand and stone can be dazzling too. I would also advise bringing some plasters with you, as you will most likely be doing plenty of walking and if the sand gets into your shoes, it could irritate and cause a blister.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Mosquito repellent is an absolute necessity; there were clouds of the creatures in any lit up area after dark. I used one of the natural citronella based ones, which seemed sufficient to put them off, or perhaps they found my vegetarian blood lacking in flavour! As a former beauty therapist, I must also advise you to look after your skin. Pack plenty of high factor sunscreen, not just to avoid burning but also to prevent the premature wrinkles caused by the sun's U.V.A. rays damaging your skin's natural elasticity. Also when you are away from the immediate area of the Nile, in the more desert like areas, such as those around the mortuary temples, the air is very drying to the skin, so take a good, rich body lotion, moisturiser and lip balm too. Of course, if all this is confusing, you could always consider packing me in your case and I would sort it all out for you!

Miscellaneous: I was delighted with, and would have been lost without, the small but extremely interesting book "Luxor: A Guide to Ancient Thebes" by Jill Kamill. Walking around alone, I found the book valuable in explaining everything I looked at,giving just the right amount of detail to allow me to understand everything I saw, without preventing me from forming and enjoying my own impressions of the place. It's a rather old book and is perhaps out of print now but if you can get hold of a copy, I'd really recommend it.

• Heavens-Mirror's Profile Photo

~ Things to Take ~

by Heavens-Mirror Written Oct 1, 2005

~ Lots of Luggage ~

Luggage and bags: Its always good to take a small bag with you when you go out on excursions, make sure you take something to put all your belongings in.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Luxor is very hot in the Summer months so plenty of light clothing is needed, swimwear for around the pool area & a good pair of sunglasses as the sun is very bright :)
    Make sure you take a decent pair of trainers/boots for walking around when on excursions because you do get tired.
    Dont forget a light jacket for the nights out as it can feel cold when the sun sets.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: A good insect repellent is needed so you dont get any nasty bites, i dont remember seeing any pharmacies in Luxor so take all the pills you need for example, paracetemol, diarrhoea pills, or any other pills you normally take on holiday.
    And Ladies if you need Sanitary products such as Tampax or Always Ultra, get them at home before you go as they not as good quality as ours at home.

Photo Equipment: Make sure you take plenty of camera film as it can be expensive in Luxor. Anyone with a digital camera you can buy memory sticks really cheap from all UK airports.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Sunglasses & Swimwear are a must...... this is sun worshippers paradise!

• schollarrose's Profile Photo

ORANGE Mobile Phones in Luxor

by schollarrose Updated Sep 16, 2005

Miscellaneous: Please note, ORANGE phones do not work in Luxor (nor in Cairo). There is no service provider there. The best option is to go to the Vodafone shop in Television Street and buy a tourist SIM card and some credit. SIM card is about £25EP (£2.50 english) plus tax. Calls home and texts home are then very cheap! Approx 5p per text!

• schollarrose's Profile Photo

ORANGE Mobile Phones in Luxor

by schollarrose Written Sep 16, 2005

Miscellaneous: Please note, ORANGE phones do not work in Luxor (nor in Cairo). There is no service provider there. The best option os to go to the Vodafone shop in Television Street and buy a tourist SIM card and some credit. SIM card is about £25EP,(£2.50 english) plus tax. Calls home and texts home are then very cheap!

• Your money or your Biros!

by footloosegirl Updated Aug 6, 2005

Miscellaneous: As many people have pointed out in their tips, there will be plenty of people harrassing you for money in Egypt. However, at certain tourist spots such as Karnak Temple, you may encounter small children begging. I met several forlorn little faces on one day trip, and automatically assumed they had been sent by their parents to play for sympathy and thus get more money. However, it was whilst trying to talk to them, I noticed one word being whined repeatedly : "Stylo, stylo!" , and it was then that I realised they were asking for pens. I was later told by a tour guide that the only pens available to the poorer school children are cheap and useless, running out very quickly. It was heartbreaking to think that all these children wanted to ask for was a pen, something we all take for granted back home. I was kicking myself for not having any on me. So, before you leave for Egypt, shove a few spare, decent pens in your suitcase. It's a simple item here, but to some kids it's a luxury.

• Luxury Travel
    • School Holidays

• sue_stone's Profile Photo

It can get pretty hot and tiring

by sue_stone Written Feb 7, 2005

Inside Karnak Temple

Luggage and bags: If you are racing around all day like we did, make sure you don't lug too much around with you. A nice compact daypack/backpack is best.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: You will no doubt do lots of walking and standing around, so comfortable shoes are a must.

Also, you may be out in the sun a lot, so a hat is a good idea too.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Always make sure you carry some tissues to use as toilet paper and some anti-bacterial wipes are really handy too.

Oh, and don't forget the sunscreen!

Photo Equipment: I think it goes without saying that you will be taking plenty of photos in Luxor - everything you see is so amazing.

Miscellaneous: Bring some water with you. It can get really hot, especially inside the tombs at the Valley of the Kings.

• clairegeordio's Profile Photo

General tips

by clairegeordio Written Dec 18, 2004

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: A good pair of walking shoes/trainers as on the West Bank, there are many loose stones.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Apart from the usual camera, films/memory cards I would advise packing some refreshing wipes as the money there is very dirty and if you wish to eat during the day it is best to freshen up. Another good idea is a remedy for diahorrea!

• jan4545's Profile Photo

A small cool bag for your bottled water.

by jan4545 Written Aug 31, 2004

Luggage and bags: Extra space in your luggage for taking home all the souveniers you will buy.
    One of the bags with a strap that keep your water cool, so you can keep it handy, you will need it constantly, especially if you go in August like we did.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good strong shoes or trainers, especially for round the sites as the floors can be a little uneven.
    A hat is a must.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Wet wipes - not only a good way of freshening up, but to use after handling the money because it is very well 'worn' .

Photo Equipment: Film and batteries, believe me you will use lots of them.

Miscellaneous: Plenty of patience and good humour to be used liberally with:-
    caleshe drivers
    fellucca owners
    shop owners
    taxi drivers
    unofficial guides
    and anyone who may have something you may wish to buy or use.

• Meritaten's Profile Photo

Comfortable!!

by Meritaten Written Jun 18, 2004

Luggage and bags: Bring a normal sized suitcase but don't pack it full of clothes!!
    Save some space for your souvenirs!

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Ladies, you know who you are, walking through the Valley of The Kings with high heels on!! You are not on a fashion parade so pack LOOSE clothes, cotton preferably, and trainers or comfy shoes. Also take a hat or buy one over there. Scarves are really cheap and will protect your shoulders.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: Don't bother with anti-diarrhoea tablets as they won't work. When you get to Luxor go to the Pharmacy and ask for Entocid. These stop the trots dead!! Take your own tissues or be prepared to pay LE1-10 for a piece at the tourist sites. The toilets have to be seen to be believed!

Photo Equipment: Take lots of film as it can be expensive. A digital camera would be better but make sure you have plenty memory, you will be taking lots of photo's.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Shorts and crop tops are best left at home, or for round the pool. Remember to cover your head or you will suffer for it. Drink plenty of water which is dirt cheap anyway

Miscellaneous: Men in Egypt are permanently on heat, so ladies cover up when you go out if you don't want to be pestered. Men don't lose your temper at all the haggling, take it as a joke

• Hiking and Walking
    • Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Luxor

Comments

Luxor What to Pack

Reviews and photos of Luxor what to pack posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Luxor sightseeing.