Harrassment, Luxor

• Carriage drivers hassle tourists relentlessly
    Carriage drivers hassle tourists...
    by buffjay
  • Harrassment
    by rosegirl
  • Harrassment
    by rosegirl

Know about this?

• Girls Alone

by footloosegirl Written Jul 28, 2005

In some cultures women are not allowed to go out without a male relative or companion. This is largely the case in Egypt, and a woman on her own is likely to attract unwanted attention. Even a pair or group of girls can face inappropriate remarks and possibly worse. I found this to be the case especially at night, and even when I was out walking in the evening with my parents, I was accused of being my father's second wife! I met girls travelling in pairs in Egypt who had experienced nothing worse than a lecherous waiter or two, but it is best to be wary. If anyone asks you to go and watch bellydancing, see their 'brother's farm / market' or anything similar, I would advise you to politely, but firmly, decline.

• Women's Travel
    • Luxury Travel

• Harrasment for women

by TheReturnOfNefertiti Written May 29, 2005

I have often found that the first few days in luxor can be hard to cope with if you are a woman travelling alone or in the company of another woman, because of the persistant attention of many egyptian men once you leave the confines of your hotel.

I went on holiday with my daughter one year and I have learned that when politeness fails my daughters attitude resolves the situation.

As we walked past the caleeches at the side of Luxor temple towards the shops and Bazaar a young egyptian man followed my daughter and pestered her all the way up the street, three times she said No thank you, but he continued to pester her, suddenly to my surprise she stopped , turned and faced him and then held her fist up to him and said' see this ? want some?'
    I don't know who was the most shocked or surprised , the man or me, but he immediately made a hasty exit.
    I told my daughter 'I don't believe you just did that !'
    her response was 'Well it worked didn't it '
    And to be honest If a firm but polite resonse dosn't work, trust me this one does.
    In the street some egyptian men can be extremly forward and quite offensive towards non muslem women.

• new arrivals

by brettbunch Written Apr 24, 2005

you step off the plane, you have no tan all the localsknow you are fresh meat.
    the street traders will be quite persistent, so la shakran means no thankyou, sometimes however that is not enough, we were told to say imshee which means p**s off by the people at the hotel and only used it once but it worked.

thought the lov=cals are very friendly the traders are after your money and haggling is taken to a new level. Be firm and be sure to shop around.

• Saladinos's Profile Photo

Kissing in Public

by Saladinos Written Mar 14, 2005

As you know, when u r in Rome, Walk like the Romans do. Eventhough Egypt is kind of liberal and a touristic place, still it is part of the arab islamic community. This takes us to the fact that public display of affections is not so much appreciated in the streets. You might not be stopped by the police (it is illegal but they let you go), but you will be harrased for kissing your partner and many will be watching the scene.
    Be patient till u r not in public.
    Have Fun, kiss much.

• School Holidays
    • Gay and Lesbian

• clairegeordio's Profile Photo

by clairegeordio Written Dec 18, 2004

In Luxor you cannot escape the hawkers wanting you to part with your money. It can get to you, if you let it, as some are really persistant. They are mostly found along the stretch of the Nile by the Old Winter Palace, where they will have their Felucca sailing boats or motor boats waiting. Some try to find out exactly where you are going, why you are going and what you will be doing tomorrow so they can see if they are in with a chance of selling something to you. It can get annoying when all you want to do is stroll along in private.
    Just keep saying no thank you and keep walking, or say that it is your last day and you have done everything, as most of the time, if they try and sell you one thing, and that didn’t work, they will move onto something else that they could offer you! Obviously you can listen to them and see if you can haggle a reasonable price eg we wanted to go to Valley of the Kings, privately, and not on a tour, so when one of the hawkers approached us we got him to give us a price for return transport to the West Bank by motor boat, and a taxi for the main part of the day to the Valley of the Kings, Temple of Hatchepsut and Colossi of Memnon. You can always walk away if they don’t come down to a reasonable price. Sometimes, you are not always sure if you are being ripped off, but enjoy it, you are on holiday! The best thing to do is pay what you think something is worth. It is best not to get too hung up on money.

• chigna's Profile Photo

LUXOR.....Hassle central!

by chigna Written Jul 18, 2003

When approached by merchants, touts or other unsavoury characters....a smile and a firm 'la shukran' (no thankyou) usually work.

If they persist, try 'ishmi' (go away).

if all else fails..'la fuluss' (no money)

a sense of humour is necessary.

no physical harm will befall you but your ears drums may take a battering.

i felt safer walking around luxor in the dark than i have ever felt in daylight in london.

• viddra's Profile Photo

Taking Pictures

by viddra Written Jul 14, 2005

Beware of the guards at the Temple of Hatshepsut! They will try to follow you around offerring to take pictures with you, for money.

the Temple of Hatshepsut

Instant Answers: Luxor

• Mar 29, 2015 at 5:46 AM

Expect loads of hassle and unwanted attention. To be absolutely fair it really is just plain bullying. It really ruined our time in Luxor and caused us to avoid going out. I had been unwell and was recovering from a urinary tract infection and on strong antibiotics and just wanted to be left alone. Alas, it was not to be. We were followed for about 25 mins in the centre of Luxor and it became quite scary and extremely intimidating. Then some of our assailants had the audacity to ask us why we were angry. They really have some cheek these people! Eventually we sought refuge in Macdonald's which just happened to have a police vehicle full of armed police. I was never more pleased to see a copper! We will never go back to Egypt because we were not allowed to enjoy ourselves and I don't go on holiday to remain enclosed in a hotel room.

• Nov 9, 2012 at 12:44 PM

even the people who work at government places, like the Egyptian Museum. everywhere.

• Nov 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

i just got back from cairo, and was lied to, manipulated, cheated, tricked about every 10 steps. i have never experienced anything even similar and i have traveled a lot. im pretty good at ignoring people or getting away, but sometimes they would start insulting me, calling me "stupid" and telling me that i don't use my head, that you shouldn't tell someone "i am ok, thank you" if they haven't asked you for money yet, etc. they would follow me and go on and on and on. i was there for 48 hours and was completely suffocated. i'm so glad i went and experienced cairo for 2 days and got to see the pyramids, king tut's mask, the nile... but wow. wow. the only time you can breathe is locked in your hotel room.